hello

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

hello

Post by Gurkesaft » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Hey everyone-

I traditionally drive race sims, but I've been looking for a sweet WWII flight sim for ages. For some reason I couldn't find it until I

(a) bought cam2pan for my race sim to try it
(b) wrote a cam2pan smoothing program

when I stumbled on IL-2. It promptly blew me away, having come from a warbirds free demo background. Also, it's definitely a good sign when the community is so strong after so many years. (Same thing with Grand Prix Legends, my favorite game at the moment).

The best thing that happened to me in the racing community was to find a group that gets on teamspeak, drinks, trash-talks, and laughs a lot, so I'm looking to join a similar group for IL-2.

I'm located in the US on the east coast inland a bit and finishing grad school. I'm from the upper middle of the country originally and have roughly zero Irish in me, but I like beer.

Also, I didn't want to brag about this, but I have a friend who's Irish. Maybe you know him. His name is Isaac.

What's the easiest way to get some of your bullets in my plane?

Also, fairly impartial to wainscoting.

-Jack
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Re: hello

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:01 pm

gurkesaft wrote: have roughly zero Irish in me, but I like beer.
Dont worry we have Irish Zeros

New squad skin by our official unofficial recruitment officer who'll no doubt be by shortly

and welcome. We're making the transition to the new '46 v4.071 right now, but mostly on v4.05 . Visit the Tech forum and get Hyperlobby to fly online and guides to versions etc.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:30 pm

Thank you.

I had previously found Hyperlobby, I purchased initially the "complete edition" with 4.04m, and bought the upgrade to version 4.05m. So far I've dropped about $60 and haven't done much flying. Can't wait to upgrade again ;)

Not a huge fan of the 1946 concept--I hope I can get some flight time before I have to spend another $50 or whatever (still cheaper than a plane and some bullets I guess).

I could maybe write a simple program that swaps game versions around, too, if that eases everyone's burden any.

Anyway, looking forward to flying!

-Jack
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:55 pm

Life's a bitch and then you die.

Welcome to the bitch part.

Two weeks in the future and you'd be laughing, we'd say "buy this" and you'd be there....

Sorry.

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:59 pm

gurkesaft wrote:

I could maybe write a simple program that swaps game versions around, too, if that eases everyone's burden any.

-Jack
No need theres already one available on download 4.04-4.05-4.07-4.071

As far as '46 goes I've got it (more a case of keeping up with the Ivanovitches) a lot of us would have liked more flyable heavies and some of the existing AI made flyable.Even so the jets are fun and some nice new maps. I noticed last night that they've fixed the drop down menus so that they dont dissapear when scrolling down and Olegs new stick sensitivity is a subtle improvement. Its good to have everything on the one DVD (one more scheduled patch to come).
Oh and dont forget that ground attack fans can now drop 1000lb rs on convoys of bicycles :badgrin:

How do find Cam2 pan? Is lighting an issue with the webcam?
Most of us use Track IR
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:42 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:
How do find Cam2 pan? Is lighting an issue with the webcam?
Most of us use Track IR
A bit, but it's not been a problem for me with my cheap kinamax infrared camera. I could wear an LED if I wanted on my headset. The big issue with Cam2pan is the refresh rate is maximum 30Hz, so it can make you a bit sick with its jerking around (which is why I wrote the smoothing program). So now I get very smooth motion but it lags. Not a big deal in flight sims. Looks so pretty.

In short, I like it.

So what's this version changer? It comes with 1946 or it's available for download somewhere?

Cheers,
Jack
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:37 am

Never mind... I found it in the technical thread. I will look into it when necessary. Thanks!

Hey, so is it okay if I jump on teamspeak to get rolling (flying) quickly and meet some of you, or do I have to wait for something else to happen?

Cheers!
Jack
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:41 am

Jump in and talk, fly, post or whatever.

Our next semi-possibly-scheduled event is Wednesday night ... maybe. Ask around in the forums and look for :FI: or =FI= in HyperLobby.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 am

Isaac?

I know him!! :lol:
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:01 am

Welcome to the forum gurkesaft! ^:)
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
L.F
Forum Junky

Post by L.F » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:25 am

Hey there gurkesaft ^:)
Og det er det stora,
og det er det glupa,
at Merket det stend,
um Mannen han stupa.
Badger
Postmaster

Post by Badger » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:54 am

Hello gurkesaft and welcome :D
:FI:Badger
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Welcome to the boards, ...

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:02 am

... gherkin juice!

Join us on Sunday afternoon (US time) to our COOP missions (current version 4.05) and see how we handle things. Prepare yourself for carrier take offs and landings and for some good laughs on comms.

BTW, gherkin juice would be Gurkensaft in German language ... anyhow, nice choice of nick name ... ;)

S'loot, m8! ^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:37 am

(Swedish)gurksaft...(English)cucumber-juice???????

some Scandinavian or Germanic blood maby?

Wellcome to the mad-house
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
L.F
Forum Junky

Post by L.F » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:15 pm

:FI:RULES wrote:(Swedish)gurksaft...(English)cucumber-juice???????

:lol:

Ever tried it?
Og det er det stora,
og det er det glupa,
at Merket det stend,
um Mannen han stupa.