news on the 1946 front??

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:03 am

i don't see a frame drop. seem's very smooth to me...so far...with all settings maxed. but then i've never really had any probs (knock on wood) with any game so far on the Dell gamer that i bought earlier in the year. not bragging... just love that Dell. :D

on second thought, it "might" be a teeny bit slower...but if it is, its so little an amount that i cannot really percieve it...and the smoothness of game play more than makes up for it, i reckon. haven't played online yet, but really, for me, this is the smoothest by far of all the addons since the original IL2. good job on that.

even with the Dell, i would occasionally get a stutter on huge multiple explosions right in my face...but i've yet to see one with '46...another note for its smooth playing.

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Badger
Postmaster

Post by Badger » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:20 am

Another Dell Man!! I salute you!! They're great aren't they!! I swear by them - I say "F-ing hell, they're good!!" :D
:FI:Badger
L.F
Forum Junky

Post by L.F » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:32 pm

It arrived today! :D

I was worried about frame-rate loss, but my game acually runs smoother after i did a clean install. The a-20c is a hoot! :D
Og det er det stora,
og det er det glupa,
at Merket det stend,
um Mannen han stupa.
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:01 pm

:FI:Badger wrote:Another Dell Man!! I salute you!! They're great aren't they!! I swear by them - I say "F-ing hell, they're good!!" :D
you bet! i've had several computers over the years... Packard HELL, doh! a slightyly better Gateway. a fairly useful HP... and this Dell XPS that runs like a bat out of hell! :D

i can't say enough good things about it, Badger. for an out of the box computer, it's done me a wonderful job... running everything i've asked it too flawlessly. (it was the first one that i could nicely play IL2 on maxed out.) and i have not had to upgrade a single damned thing on it since i got it. i haven't even had to pop the side cover for anything.

it's run 24/7 since last the end of last Jan. with no hitches or hangups. and boy is it fast for a stock computer! plus...i got it as a dent and scratch and paid a piddling sum for it! what more can you ask for, eh?

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:10 pm

I'm looking at the latest Alienware rigs. This company is known for pushing the envelope on power and performance. Very pricey but worth it. :)
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:58 pm

Beowolff wrote:... i've had several computers over the years... Packard HELL, doh! a slightyly better Gateway. a fairly useful HP...
gah! that's the exact same story for me.

Packard Bell
Gateway
HP

They were all okay in their day.

The HP was the best, we bought the top model then.

My daughter had a Compac that was NOT kid proof ... or teen p**n proof. Either way it didn't last long.

Dell looks cool. I'm glad the off-the-shelf companies have learned a wee bit about gaming.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:43 pm

I think I'll give my pal's copy of the game another go. Paying almost US$50 for that game is too much for me now. Besides it's been far too long and I want to get online.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

"Error 1000 insert original disc not a backup"

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:08 am

A post by "FoolTrottle" over at ubi gave the answer-

Firmware upgrade (from benq DW1600-B5C9 to DW1620-B7K9) for DVD/RW drive.

SecuRom sent this link for alternative exe file:-

http://www.securom.com/support/customer ... /il2fb.zip
(Backup the original exe before trying this.

PS Gens Burma Campaign rocks. ^:)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:45 am

Thanks for the tip Sneaky. :)
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:33 am

1946 installed and operational :D
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:52 pm

Ha! I finally got this game to work! Then when I set up a quick mission with a Ta-183 against 4 Mosquito bombers my excitement went out of the window. What's up with the AI in this game? The jet armed with missiles just passed the bombers and went on it's merry way. I think I'm gonna ask my pal for the game instead of buying it.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:24 pm

Beowolff you purchased another Dell a year or so ago too, right mate? I remember you were in need of an affordable new system and got something comparable to my Dell rig. You either more recently bought the XPS model or I am mistaken and need my meds yet again. :-k

Been hearing good things about their new XPS gaming line though they are expensive (but sexy).

Tact - "owner of a Dell 8250 system" - S!
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:46 pm

Hey, I checked out Dell's website and found the perfect rig for all my 3D work. It's a Dell Precision Workstation 690. It can support up to 4 monitors and 2 NVidia cards! Cost- US$1799.00! I'm hoping to get one of these soon. :)
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:53 pm

AltarBoy wrote:Hey, I checked out Dell's website and found the perfect rig for all my 3D work. It's a Dell Precision Workstation 690. It can support up to 4 monitors and 2 NVidia cards! Cost- US$1799.00! I'm hoping to get one of these soon. :)
Well if you have been a very good boy this year... then maybe, just maybe Santa might come your way.

Obviously, if in three days you havn't got one, we'll just assume you have been a bad boy ;)

G
I fear no beer

AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:09 pm

I've been a baaaaaaaaaaaad boy! I need to be spanked by my nanny...ooops, that's for another site. :lol: But really that rig will certainly make me happy. I was discussing it with the wife and she said it's ok, but first I have to buy a new house and a car. :cry: