Swedish Meatballs

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Swedish Meatballs

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:35 pm

Since there are a lot of Swedes here can anyone give me the recepie for making Swedish Meatballs. I have a lump of minced meat and the wife refuses to cook today.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:46 pm

Okay!

Yew van der Sveedish meetball?

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
* 1/4 pound Yeemmy Dean sausage
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup ketchoop
* 2 tablespoons Woryestershireshireshire sauce
* 1 tablespoon dry moostard
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 clove minced garlic
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon pepper
* Sauce:
* 2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 dash Tabasco sauce
* 1/4 cup milk

Den yew meex dem all togedder an' ...

bork-bork-bork!

Fal "Soon to be roundly scorned" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:46 pm

here you go m8....Never listen to Falcon when it maters your eating....

* Swedish Meatballs is probably the most Swedish of dishes...

* You can find the ingredients almost anywhere in the world:

For 4 - 5 portions you need: roughly 400 g of mixed minced meat; 3/4 dl of bread crumbs (you can also crush dry white bread); 2 dl milk; 1 - 1,5 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper; 1 tablespoon grated onion; 1 egg.
Preparing:

First of all mix the bread crumbs with the milk. Let stand for 10 minutes, otherwise the meatballs may get a taste of bread. Meanwhile, mix the minced meat with the salt. The salt actually helps the mince stay together. Add pepper, and if desired also other spice, such as ginger, and the onion.

Now add the milk and bread crumbs mixture, and the egg. The egg makes the whole mixture more porous and easier to fry. Mix the ingredients well, but don't overdo which could result in that the fat escapes from the meat. Don't use a kitchen mixer, use your hands!
Frying:

Roll the mixture to balls, about 20 - 25 mm in diameter / 1", using your hands. Washing your hands in cold water now and again makes the rolling easier. Place the balls on a cutting board that has been rinsed in water (prevents the balls from sticking). Heat butter in a hot frying pan. Place the balls in the pan, but not all at once. Shake the pan now and again so the meatballs get fried on all sides. Once they have obtained a golden brown colour, reduce the heat and let them fry for another 3 - 5 minutes, depending on size. Do not cover the frying pan.
The gravy:

After each batch of fried meat balls, pour some water into the frying pan and stir. Pour the water into a pot. This is the base for the gravy. When finished frying, stir flour (mix with cold water before adding) into the gravy and spice with soy sauce.
Suggestions for serving:

Swedes enjoy their meatballs with boiled potatoes and lingonberries. Pour the gravy over the meatballs and potatoes when serving. Yummy! Some also like their meatballs together with stewed macaroni.
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:55 pm

Gee, thanks! Got most of those ingredients and the spaghetti's almost done. Shouldn't be hard for me to make them. One question, though. What's a frying pan? :lol: :lol:

Altar-"10 ways to do disaster cooking"- Boy.
Podge
Boardie

Post by Podge » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:58 pm

Wow Rules..hehe.. You got your sh*t together regarding the meatballs..I'm impressed :) Do you know all that by heart? Anyhoo, gotta try it. :)
When I'm in Sweden I tend to go more for the "Scans Småköttbullar" though, I don't think I could make meatballs even with instructions on how to build the little buggers... \:D/

Edit: cooking lesson by the man himself... The Swedish Chef
Last edited by Podge on Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:59 pm

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stekpanna" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:26 pm

Hey Rules it didn't come out half bad at all! Tastes great in fact. I added our local hot sauce in it. And Podge that Sans-wathamacallit sounds rude. You sure that's a dish? :lol:
Podge
Boardie

Post by Podge » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I think so... Or I might've gotten tricked by the swedes to eat something I shouldn't have... "hey, lets give this crap to that stupid Irishman.. He won't taste the difference between swedish meeetboools and this roadkill that we chopped up and rolled to little balls"...

But anyhoo, I have to give you credit for the "Sans-wathamacallit"..haha... I might open up a strip club here and name it "Sans-wathamacallit - Where the balls are"... 8)
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:35 am

;) Glad you liked them....Hope your wife survives the food and the repairs of the kitchen :lol:

And belive it or not, I started my working life as a restaurant-chef....(many moon´s ago) Still love cooking, but for less people. ;)
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:27 am

A chef? That's cool, dude! :) Anyway the kithen's gone MIA and the wife wasn't home-she went shopping. Thank God for small miracles! :lol:
:FI:Igor
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:33 pm

Rules,

Sounds good, I'll give it a try this week end. Does "Sans-wathamacallit" really mean ;'meatball made with dog or cat '? Just joking, if you're offered 'KayGoogy' in a Korean restaurant, decline!

Igor da 'I lived in Korea, I know what 'Kay' is.'
:FI:Igor
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Små

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:10 pm

Theyz just 'small meaballs'

Kött is 'meat and 'bullar' is balls... but not those ones......those a kulor... which are also bullets....

I'm getting confused now...
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Podge
Boardie

Post by Podge » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:22 pm

:lol:
Fenian, I speak swedish as well, and you even managed to confuse me...haha... imagine how confused the non-swedish speakin lads must be...hehe... But hey, it's good with some language lessons here, since it's a really international bunch :)