Combat Mission Series

Everything that got nothing to do with games we play ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Combat Mission Series

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed May 31, 2006 12:59 am

Hi there, lads and lassies.

As some of you may know, I am a big fan of the combat Mission series byBattlefront. This is the reason why I decided to share some info about the series with you, as many may not be familiar with this state-of-the-art game.

CM is a turn based strategy. The player and his opponent, AI or another human, place their units at the same time. They also give orders at the same time and what comes next is the turn of execution of orders.

Duriong this turn the player has no influence on what is happening, he can only move the camera and view the turn as many tmies as he wishes, from differentangles and so on, there is possibility to rewind the turn, pausetoo.

I find the series incredibly interesting due to the fact that a long time ago I used to ply with my frind, Charles, a game we called"the Battle System" , with models of tanks, cannons, soldiers, all in 1:72 scale, with buildings, roads ,etc.

there were very detailed rules, we had al the information aboutgiven vehicle's armor, it's angle,etc, even facts like that German tanks had better quality of the armor due to someproduction process. We rolled dices to determin if given shell hit and so on and on, it was very in-depth.

Combat Mission was made by people who probably played that model game and is the best computer adaptation of this wargame. Effectiveness of your soldiers is affected by their skill, their leaders,such as platoon HQ, company HQ, if they have radio, their morale, etc. sometimes they go berserk and stop listeniinng to your orders, sometimes they panic and there is nothing you can do,except for trying to get some HQ unit near them.

The game comes with loads of various orders you can give, from moving fast, slowly,hunting,and many more. Youcan dig in, hide,use artillery spotters.

The player can also design his own battles with map editor and quick battles giving desired parameters.

If anyone of you folks has the game, I'd love to play it from time to time with ya.

For those, that like strateg, or rather tactical games - here are some reviews and screenines:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/com ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/afr ... %20mission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/com ... %20mission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

on http://www.battlefront.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can find demo versions of all three parts of the game.

On the net there are tons of graphic mods which make all the games from the series look more beautiful, there are also hundreds of great scenarios.

The game should be played with real tactics book, it all works.

S!

Mac
ImageImageImage
Menace
Postmaster

Post by Menace » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:02 pm

Got it, excellent game. But you have to take a few things into acount when playing someone.

-:There is always an "Imanginary Arms Race" Particularily for tanks.

-:Infantry is king, they can surprise you at how fast they can move around.

-:AT guns are awesome when deployed correctly,

-:Tanks are frustrating for the Germans, both their own and dealing with others.

-:Two words, Dead Ground

-:Three words, Heavy Machinegun Teams

-:T-34's are monsters,they are cheap and can move like the wind.

-:Always bring a gun. (Mountain Howitzers are your friend)

-:Try to find some kind of resource to check what the heck you are purchacing at the start of the scenario. Really bad for those of us not fluent in German.

Here's one, there's a PzII (silly 12T light tank, scary to an infantryman, but nobody else, or so I thought) with curved armour in the 60-80mm range! I got suckered in a full fog of war match with Spooky_Ruben; wasted focus fire at long range on the damn thing, watching 76.2mm and 40mm bounce off! He litterally made me run out of ammo! AP, HEAT, and tungsten anyway. :evil: Yeah, I lost that one. 3 Matildas later. :(

Kind of shocked that the Germans ran out of the alphabet with all the insane field mods for the tanks. Why the heck couldn't they just decide on one design instead of all those abortions?

PS in my games most of your infantry riding in those trucks and on those tanks would be two things.

1. Paniced at having been raked by machinegun fire while riding on/in a vehicle

2. Wiped out to a man, by machine gun fire or by the tank cooking off from an AT gun hit.

Spooky_Ruben has no mercy, I learned that the hard way. :lol:
"Give me a full bottle in front of me, instead of a full frontal lobotomy!"
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:45 am

Hehe, yes, it is true.

Mate, how about a round or two in CM sometime?

Im leaving now for abouth a month, but maybe we could play CM from time to time?

S!

Macca
ImageImageImage
Menace
Postmaster

Post by Menace » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:25 am

Sure, a PBEM Could be fun. I only have Barbarosa to Berlin though. What sides, and what point value?
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:29 am

PBEM is great, no hurry, just like chess;)

I like small battles, something like a platoon or two, some mortars, few tanks. Ok,maybe more infantry. Something that is not too big to keep your eye on it:)

S!

Mac
ImageImageImage
Menace
Postmaster

Post by Menace » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:56 pm

Say something like 500 pts? Allows for a tank or a couple of tankettes. Some support weapons.
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:24 am

Sounds good;) but not sooner then in a months time;)

My computer is 500 kms from me....

S!
Mac
ImageImageImage
Menace
Postmaster

Post by Menace » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:32 pm

Heh, no prob mate. I'll be holding on to the disks for this one for a while. There is just nothing like this game out there right now.
fighter_bomber
Boardie

Post by fighter_bomber » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:06 pm

I've played this game. You should try a game series called Close Combat - I play Close Combat 2 and 5. It's much like Combat Mission.
Made of bad metal and with lots of holes - just like my plane.
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:18 am

:)

Mate, I've played Close Combat 1 Demo when I was i little kid, than I played CC2,3,4,5 a lot, spent most time playing CC2 and 3 with a good friend of mine. These were great times. Still have all the games, i think I even have the first Close combat ;) Those games are incredible, there is nothing like them. Combat mission is much different, as you have turn-based system of play and much more detailos. I love both game series. and the screams..."Ich habe kein Ammunition mehr!!!" , "Her Oberst!!!" "Scharfschutz!!", "aaaaargh!!!", ....."Puick up your weappon, soldier!" I will install these games again....

memories;)
Sniff Sniff....

Mac(I love Combat Mission and Close Combat series)ca

edit

http://endlager.net/fis/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ose+combat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImage