NTFS or FAT32

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

NTFS or FAT32

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:30 am

for FB?

Currently have my game installed on its' own 11G partition of FAT32. NTSF be any faster?
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

NTFS

Post by :FI:Genosse » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:14 am

I changed my file system from FAT32 to NTFS after the new re-install of XP. The only advantage I see is that you can compress the data on your HDD so you´ll have much more disk space left.

I´m currently running all my games from a compressed partition and I had no troubles so far, Willie. Although there´s a hint on the box of my COD2 copy that the game should be installed on a an uncpmpressed HDD ...

Any other experiences?

:-s
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Ya might prefer a "FAT 38"- But XP prefers NTFS

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:39 am

Changed my "legacy" 40 gig drive to NTFS on XP re-install. No speed difference, so's I'd notice
When it was FAT 32 it was OK until I ran "Chkdsk" from tools on properties page, I got a warning ( the PALE blue screen) every boot-up for the FAT 32 drive stating that it was a FAT 32 and not NTFS ( as if I didn't know already)

I've retained the partitions but re-formatted to NTFS and am using as a dedicated IL2 drive
Last edited by :FI:Sneaky_Russian on Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Stovies_
Professional Boardie

Post by Stovies_ » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:04 pm

Hi Willie,

Personally I would use NTFS as it is more secure. FAT32 is a wide open disk if someone hacks into your system. Also FAT32 is more prone to file corruption.

Check this site for a the NTFS vs FAT32

http://www.theeldergeek.com/ntfs_or_fat ... system.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:17 pm

All my operating system files are NTFS. Just never got around to compressing the partition for IL2.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!