Katrina (big pic)

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Katrina (big pic)

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:43 pm

Almost six months after Katrina and New Orleans and the Mississippi coast are still in shock. 200,000+ homes are gone and over half a million people are still displaced or are never to return.

Yep, t'was a biggie.

Eileen found this pic of the initial storm surge. This wave hit the New Orleans area too but the awesome power was somewhat diffused by the marshes that surround the city to the south and east. The Mississippi coast didn't have that protection though. This pic was taken as the surge hit around Waveland, MS.

Holy crap.
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:46 pm

omg....
ImageImageImage
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:01 pm

:shock:

It's not even a wave...it's just a solid wall of water!
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

I lived in Bay St. Louis...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:11 pm

...just a few miles from Waveland.

My guess is the Bridge is history, along with the condo.

"OMG" barely says it.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
kajun442

Katrina pic

Post by kajun442 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:00 am

Hey Falcon are you still in N.O. I lived in Meraux(St Bernard) now in Jackson Ms. The water line in my house was 15 ft high.Hope you made out ok.
Kajun442
Deadly107

Post by Deadly107 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:22 pm

YIIIIIIKS!... Thats incredible! :shock:

Deadly
VFA-107 Sea Dragons
http://www.vfa107.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:39 pm

Kaj,

Yep, still in N'Awlins. We live on the west side though. Beaucoup trees and roof damage, but no flooding.

There are SO many businesses and facilities still closed. Traffic into the city is terrible with commute times as long as two and a half hours.

One good thing ...

crime is near zero.

Thanks for axin',

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:42 pm

Guess USA had its tsunami aswell.... ^:|
Kajun442

Katrina pics

Post by Kajun442 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:12 pm

Good to hear you made out ok.I have family in Belle Chase, Algiers and Kenner.I also have alot of friends on the north shore and Harahan,so I'm in the city quite often.Borne and raised in Gentilly.I hope the crime never gets back to what it was.My former place of employment was in Hollygrove(Earhart Blvd).I had a birds eye view of the crime problem.I heard alot of the thugs didn't make it and hope the rest stay where they are.Hope to catch you online .I fly(not sure if FLY is the correct term,flop around in the sky might be better) as Kajun442 and play COD2 as KajunKraut.

Kajun442
Full Metal Ferret

Re: Katrina pics

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:21 pm

Kajun442 wrote:...I fly(not sure if FLY is the correct term,flop around in the sky might be better) ...
Yeah, moi aussi. In the FI I'm known as (among other things ...) Fal "Straight and level drone" con.

Mang, you really ARE from around here! Why you're not in the Fightin' Irish, (where all good N'Awlins/Irish/Cajun/German/whatever boys should be) I'll never know!

If you fly over the city it is incredible how much of the city is still pitch black.

Oh, another good thing though ...

employees at Burger King are paid over $11/hour now.

The burgers still suck.

Fal "bontemps" con

Kajun442

Katrina pics

Post by Kajun442 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:58 am

I just got back into playing .My old comp couldn't handle FB to well .So I played QM's. My computer and HOTAS recently got a little wet ,so I've had to replace/upgrade them. I've a Saitex cyborg force,CH throttle,CH pedals,Tir 3 and Edimension headphones . (headphones should be here friday)I hope some day my skill catches up with my equipment. What night, times and days do y'all fly?Do y'all do coops? What do I need to do to join?I drink beer,mostly ale's and the Irish/Italian parade is my favorite parade.Nothing like catching food off a float.

Kajun442
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:09 am

Caj,

Even though COD, CODII, BF2 and the "I Want so to Be Barbieâ„¢: the SIMS" mod have taken a wee bite out of the FI's schedule, we still fly most nights. Wednesday and Friday TacS bribes, errr, I mean invites folk to fly "Historic Encounters" and Sunday is an all day DF/co-op flight fest. Other nights you can usually find a few :FI: in HyperLobby.

To join, go to the front page and click on the "Squadron" button. Dig thru all those words there and find, "application form", and click on that. Fill out the application and I'll send stuff to you suitable for framing or wrapping fish.

While your're waiting, get all caught up in what's happening in the forums and find out about specific events coming up and make plans to join up with the lads on other days too.

Ah, green beer on the "Irish Bayou" ...

good times.

F