Gaeilge?

The non-English language 'Speaking Corner'
Salahdin
Boardie

Gaeilge?

Post by Salahdin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:29 pm

Bhí mé ag smaoineamh... An bhfuil Gaeilge ag aon duine eile sa ngrúpa seo? I mo thuarim, tá mo gaeilge go dona ach tá an teanga bás anois. An bhfuil aon duine eile ag caint gaeilge sa squad seo? Táim ag féachaint ar Fen, Dex agus Azza :lol:
(Rough translation : Does anyone else speak a bit of Irish? Its good to keep a dieing language alive)
"God Save Ireland" said the Heroes
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: Gaeilge?

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:11 pm

:FI:Salahdin wrote:(...)

(Rough translation : Does anyone else speak a bit of Irish? Its good to keep a dieing language alive)
Unfortunately not, Salah! But I´d love to learn it ... I´ve been told that this language is very similiar to German in its pronounciation ... is this true?

Slán leat! ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Sorry m8..

Post by :FI:Fenian » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:51 pm

the CBS tried to beat it into me and I have always been a rebel in that respect... :( I'd love to be able to (grade D in the leaving but that means nothing...)

One of these days... :(
_________

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Salahdin
Boardie

Post by Salahdin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:16 pm

lol Fen, i don't blame you for running from irish, it is an awkward language both to learn and keep in you're head. The way they teach it over here is barbaric...
Gen, i would advise against you learning the language from scratch, it has absolutely no use whatsoever, its only good for impressing Americans. Is the pronunciation similar to German? I'm not sure, i'm hoping to begin learning German in my spare time within the next few months so i guess i'll find out then... :wink:
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

From the UBI Squadron´s forum

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:08 am

Nemo190 wrote:A dhia Lorak.

Ta tu agus do chairdi ( bastuin salach go leir cinnte ;) ) anseo freisin?

Deir liom conas ata tu. Nilim ag checkail m'email ar feadh se no seacht seachtaine so mas e do thoill e deir anseo e.
(see also here: http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_ ... hq&tpage=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Hey, our Gaelic speaking brothers!

Would you be please so kind and could you translate it for me?

Thanx in advance ... ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Just pink and fluffy

Gaeilge

Post by :FI:Fenian » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:42 am

Gen... Irish is a much softer language when spoken - it has more of a flowing and 'curved' sound than German does from my limited experience with German.

Here's a site or two that gives online lessons in Irish though...

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/gaeilge/gaelic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://erinsweb.com/gae_index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.learn-irish-language-software.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.learn-irish-language-softwar ... SIrish.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last one has audio of 'survival phrases' in Irish... like this one...
http://www.learn-irish-language-softwar ... l?ige07.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Up the Gaelic!
_________

Oscar Wilde
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: Gaeilge

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:56 pm

:FI:Fenian wrote:Gen... Irish is a much softer language when spoken - it has more of a flowing and 'curved' sound than German does from my limited experience with German.
Gah!

You can cut meat with German!

uh ...

Gyrberly

:)

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Dex
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Dex » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:32 pm

Can barely speak a word of Irish which is a disgrace but hey...The Gaeltacht is alive and well!!

I can speak the Our Father in irish but I wouldn't have a clue how to write it...I only learnt Irish to second year then I took up Spanish instead..

Se habla espanol en todos los pais en el sud de America aparte del Brasil!!!

:P
Salahdin
Boardie

Post by Salahdin » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:07 pm

Its good to see the irish speaking brothers are alive and well...
Anyway, that translates to:

"God Lorak.
You and your friends (bastuin was dirty altogether) are here now?

You asked me how i am. I havent been checking my emails for around six or seven weeks so please ask him for me here".

Thats the best i can do but im not 100% sure about the last 3 words (phrased incorrectly perhaps or else my irish is getting worse).
Keep the irish alive!
Just pink and fluffy

Ahh...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:32 pm

was wondering what it was all about ;)

Thanks Sala :)

I got a bit of it... but then my Swedish lessons kicked in and blurred everything out... :)
_________

Oscar Wilde
Jutocsa

Post by Jutocsa » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:50 pm

May I ask you how can it be possible to a nation to lose its original language ? I mean...doesn't your government do anything to prevent it ? Or using english is just makes life easier and noone really want to learn Irish ? I just wonder...as my nation also almost lost its language during a 350 year German occupation (which made the german official language) but luckily the simple ppl never used anything else but Hungarian, and we had some excellent patriots who renewed the language and saved it. So what is the situation with yours ?
Salahdin
Boardie

Post by Salahdin » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:18 pm

Our language died as a result of 700 years of British rule. They forced our people to leave their homes and they replaced our language and customs with their own. We regained our independence in 1921 thanks to a handful of heroes. Before this happened, irish was in decline for a long time until it was only spoken in certain western parts of the country. A form of Cultural Nationalism as it was known began as people tried to rediscover their own language and culture.
Today irish is still in decline but we are trying hard to save it. It is taught in all of our schools but many people just forget it. The language is spoken in parts of the west (Galway and Kerry) but it is very rare. The fact that irish has survived at all is a credit to countless generations who made it their meaning in life to keep Irish alive as the offical language of Ireland. The situation is that along with English, it is our official language and i think it will survive but it will never be spoken by more than a very small fraction of our population.
Crazy
Boardie
Location: 60 miles southeast of the great city of Cleveland, Ohio

Post by Crazy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:54 pm

It sounds like an interesting language to learn. I'd like to learn some Celtic languages in general. I only know one word in celtic. 'Coomb' I believe that means valley or someting to that effect. Am I right?
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:33 pm

Yup that's right.... I think :) It's why you have place names like Ilfracombe. Though as you say it is more of an old English word deriving from the Celtic word Cwm rather than Gaelic.. That said I know diddly Gaelic. Look on a map of Wales and you will find an awful lot of place names starting with Cwm.

G
I fear no beer

Crazy
Boardie
Location: 60 miles southeast of the great city of Cleveland, Ohio

Post by Crazy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:38 pm

The only reason I know that is because a friend of mine with some celtic roots has the last name of 'Coombs'. I learned it from him.