Great video!

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Great video!

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:03 am

Except the planes are overmodeled... :lol:

http://guyrevel.free.fr/WGP/Haute-Voltige_au_Japon.wmv

Can someone tell me who did and what the name of the music is toward the end of the vid?

Enjoy!
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Mutzy
Boardie

Post by Mutzy » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:50 am

Nice vid Willie.

That female pilot was hot =P~
:FI:Mutzy

Aka: Zippy GorillaChunks

Yeah?
Menace
Postmaster

Post by Menace » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:25 pm

Holy sweet crap that was some flyin! I have a funny feeling that the lady-pliot was an ex-russian fighter pilot though, just a feeling.

What was that radial engined beauty that she was tossing around?
"Give me a full bottle in front of me, instead of a full frontal lobotomy!"
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:07 pm

Willie
Very impressive flying, they’ll do great in a dogfight, but one bullet to those planes would end it. My wife says I make the same facial expressions when I’m flying at my computer
:shock:
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
Menace
Postmaster

Post by Menace » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:45 pm

Kind of like everything but a 109 or 190 eh? But I'm just bitter.
"Give me a full bottle in front of me, instead of a full frontal lobotomy!"
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Dynomite

Post by MikeVictor » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:58 am

Dem planes were performing what is known as "3D" aerobatics. The planes are vastly overpowered so they can literally accelerate virticle and hang on their props. This is a sort of non balistic form of aerobatics that has become popular of late.

Way kool, wish I could do that stuff fur real...

Mic Vic :D
:D
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:07 pm

Oh my gawd... that is some sweet flyin'! I loved the full rudder turn without any roll. Gonna practice with the I-16, I think I can do most of those same maneuvers :lol: ;)

Noter
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:22 am

I was trying some of that in a HE-111 earlier - that gave me a good hour of fun. I noticed some of the manouvers were from the ole days - one of the manouvers I do quite alot which I saw and learnt at HE-111 training, the one where the nose of your aircraft faces away from your true direction thus attacking pilots shoot ahead of where they think your going (mostly) - but I doubt that would work against most the :FI: Aces lol

Stalls and spins, that manouver where it looks like they've lost control and falling out the sky? yep, do that all the time when trying to fly those fighter things. It seems I'm a natural and do it without having to think about it - them, they have to practice... I do the smoke trails too! :oops:

NC

Awesome video clip, good find
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:57 am

Nightcat wrote:... one of the manouvers I do quite alot which I saw and learnt at HE-111 training, the one where the nose of your aircraft faces away from your true direction ...

It's called a slip. It is a very useful maneuver (even in IL2) to help you lose altitude if you're too high on final. Flying sideways causes lots of drag. If you point your nose to the right or left (using hard rudder) and lower your opposite wing you can keep a straight course onto the runway.

You maintain course by adjusting the wing tip angle (banking) not by changing the nose heading. Keep the same nose deflection. Be sure to straighten out just before touchdown to roll straight and lessen wear on your tires (not in IL2).

Using it too drastically in a dogfight to aim may work but you are losing tons of energy.

Fal "ah, memories" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:27 pm

There is a international airport a few miles near me but the best part of it is the runway seems to aim for my home, because on approach they fly right over our home. (Maybe they use the excessively bright light as a marker we have around the back to light up the field) Reverse thrust at 2am in the morning is amusing, but that 'Slip' technique I've seen being done on numerous occasions and always wondered. Now I'm enlightened!

Perhaps the :FI: should come with a warning...
"Pilots might learn things about aviation" lol lets hope there isn't a exam at the end of the year :oops: F+

NC
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Sliping is Cool

Post by MikeVictor » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:41 pm

Slips are commonly used in the soaring community (gliders/sailplanes) especially by those ships that don't have flaps. All of them have airbrakes/spoilers though. So in situations where a steep landing approach is needed, flapless planes (power and gliders) will almost always use a slip.

Slips are fun to do, but a bit spooky at first since the wind hiting the side of the plane causes more noise and a bumpier ride sometimes and the pilots viewpoint facing down the runway is skewed to the side which can cause some discomfort at first.

The thing to remember is that the wing facing in the direction you are going should always be the lower wing. If one gets confused and does the opposite, that will lead to a stall and spin, very dangerous mistake, but can happen in the virtual world. And besides, ya won't be able to see where yur going, at least until you stall/spin, then you'll see, only everytihng will be a spinning blur for a few moments untill you slam into the ground.

Another thing to think about is that one should always bank into the wind and not away from it when sliping (if there is a crosswind). Otherwise you will have more trouble staying lined up with the runway and may get blown downwind and into the rough or worse.

Getting out of a slip is easy, first neurtralise the rudder and level the wings so you are facing into the crosswind ( a situation known as crabbing) or facing dow the runway (if no crosswind).

Just before touching down if you are crabbing, just apply some rudder to point the noise down the runway just before touch down.

Easy, once one has done it a couple times.

What I described is primarily for gliders (no engine). Slips are also used to counter crosswinds in powered aircraft since they help one fly straight along the landing path and since you have an engine, you can power up to keep from loosing too much altitude too fast (flaten the glider slope).

Try sliping in IL2 both with and without power, it's a hoot.

MicVic :)
:D
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Nice!!!

Post by :FI:Fenian » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:24 pm

I d/l'd it at work :)

I'd buy her a beer in a flash!

;)
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:58 pm

What a brilliant video.... :beg: I was just thinking what you would get out feeling like if you were strapped into the back of one of them planes :O~ :O~ :O~
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:14 pm

Imagine wing walking with someone pulling some of those stunts lol

NC
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:23 am

I had reall cool post about the slips all prepared and then I saw Nightcat's Sig pic......................... :oops:

Awesome simply, AWESOME!!

I'll remember what I was going to say at some point in the future maybe.. :badgrin:
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!