Anyone over 35 with a collection of LP's?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Anyone over 35 with a collection of LP's?

Post by :FI:Nellip » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:37 pm

I have decided to try and get all my old vinyl records onto digital media - about 400 I think, mostly bought in the late 70's early 80's (when I was a wee lad you understand :D ).

I have a turntable and amp with the necessary leads and was planning to copy to mp3 and then backup to CD.

Wondered if any mates had already done this and if anyone could recommend some simple sound editing software - I found this on the web

http://www.polderbits.com/sound-recorder-3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which looks OK and is fairly cheap but wondered if anyone had any experience of this?
Olegs stalker

:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Actually...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:47 am

... I think it can be done with the Windows recorder, though there are better programs out there for free from places like Tucows, CNET and others.

I currently use my studio software to move my vinyl from the late 60's-80's to mp3's. Then I use Nero to burn them to CD.

You'll need to determine whether to amplify the input signal. Some programs (especially the Windows one) require an amplified signal.
DL two or three and find the one that works best for you.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:51 pm

That software looks great, mate!

I use several different programs (Sound Forge 8, Nero, Cubase) to record and edit DJ mixes from vinyl. The one 'live' track that I record straight into the computer can then be digitally re-indexed so that it plays back as several sequential tracks if I burn it on to a CD. Polderbits seems to be able to do this easily whereas I invariably end up using some fairly circuitous and time-consuming methods between different programs to achieve the same end result. I'll definitely check it out as it sounds like it could save me a lot of hassle!!

In the meantime if you're thinking of trying it out, just make sure you have an audio lead which runs from your turntable or amp to your sound card. This will typically be RCA phono at one end and 1.5mm (walkman earphone size) or 3.5mm (guitar lead size) at the other, depending on your sound card's line in jack.

In my experience the 'click/hiss/pop' removal on these types of programs is quite poor and merely EQs the sound instead of scanning and re-processing the audio. Maybe Polderbits has a good removal algorithm, I dunno, but if your records are in rag order and you're getting a lot of noise on the digital versions you might want to check out Sound Forge 8, even if it's just for the click removal - it works wonderfully.

Drop me a PM if you like but from the look of it, Polderbits appears to be a tasty little bit of software which can do exactly what you need, and it doesn't cost a lot. I use all the different programs because there are a few extra bells and whistles that I need but these are for professional purposes so for your own requirements I'd go with Polderbits. Still though, it's a weird name...
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:41 pm

Thanks for the tips guys - I tried it out tonight (Reggatta de Blanc by the Police) and it worked OK.

Moog - your comments on the clicks was right, Polderbits (a daft Dutch name :? ) isn't great at cutting them out and the background noise on the recording scuppered the automatic track seperator but I worked around that OK.

The software is on a two week free trial so 1 down, 399 to go............ :lol:
Olegs stalker

Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:29 pm

I have 100's of LP's too, what I do is just download the lp from the internet (its quicker) and you usually end up with the digitally mastered version, its not like I don't have the ORIGINAL album so in theory its just a backup :evil:

or maybe pick up the same oldies at the boot sales / charity shops and play them instead as I love listening to records on the ole deck as the quality is just unbeatable! I don't think I caught why you were wanting to back up the records onto cd - so thats just 2 alternatives :oops:

My prize lp at the moment is War of the Worlds, I'm thinking its gotta be worth like heaps now... probably not :lol:

NC
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:02 pm

I have got an original vinyl copy of War of the Worlds as well - so yours is not unique I'm afraid :D

The idea was to get all these on the hard drive and then download to an iPod. My wife hates all my old LP's and won't give them house room - says they make the place untidy.

I could get rid of the wife but the kids might miss her :lol:
Olegs stalker