I'd like to know where you sit on this?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

I'd like to know where you sit on this?

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:23 am

Yes, yes, I can sit on it anywhere, very amusing...If I could have your attention. For some time I've been curious, actually, most of the time I'm curious. But that can be a whole other thread. If I may, let me begin agian...ahem...right...For some time now I have been wondering what we've all done to create the cockpit/enviro/dealy, to convince ourselves that we've gone there, you know, as close as this corner of the living room allows. I'm thinking we've all done what we can to create a space to fly from. TS?TIR notwithstanding, C'mon wake up... Do you know what I mean?...no?...kinell. All right look. in your head...no that's wrong...in the cockpit, of whatever you happen to be flying, where do you sit? Do you constantly adjust POV depending on, or achieving good SA? Personaly, I'm more the,"head on a sweivel, swieval, sweevil, whatever, type," I try to keep my POV constant, in my case, as lifesize as I think realistic. Could I reach out and "touch" that? Life size gauges etc... or what I think is close. Forces me to keep looking about what, not being killed etc...Look, should I come back when you're more alert? I just thought it would be interesting to see where you were all flying from that's all. No need to be so defensive. It's not my fault she won't let you buy all that "essential kit". As soon as my friend :FI: Noter explains how I attach a photo to this I'll show what I've done. Nothing fancy mind you, but it's helped. Until then, talk among yourselves. Noter old boy, a word?...what? I'm sorry I thought I was being clear...don't stand so close to me, go and sit down. Right, what I'm getting at is, what steps have you taken to enhance the whole imersion thingy, other than being underwat...sorry, that was too easy. I'd be interested. I mean some of you have been at this for awhile what? As one of the FNG's I'd be interested in what some of you old hands are doing. Noter, where are you?

McBiggles
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:57 pm

Sorry for the delay there m8, those Intruder jocks needed some added attention lately.

I know exactly what you mean about the immersion level. Unfortunately mine consits of moving the papers out of the way, puttin' the stick on the desk, and putting on the headphones. I do have a modern flight helmet I've refurbished, but never put it on during gaming (probably would have if the comms worked. I used to have a chair that I created a small attachment so I could place the joystick between my legs and my throttle on the left side of the chair. Cords were everywhere, was just too impractical to use on a consistant basis, but man after I got it all working, definitely increased the immersion factor.

I like this subject, I could use some more setup/immersion ideas besides the joystick on the desk. Would love to see some pics or descriptions of what others have done for there immersive flight setup.

I will PM you and let you know how to get the pictures up m8(if I can be of any real help, we'll see).

Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:37 am

Well gents, here are McB's photo's. Agreed to post'em for him. Must say I'm flattered.

I'll let him post the info on the pics.

Noter

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:38 am

Ahh, God I love photoshop ;) :D

Noter
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:15 am

Well... You think you know who your friends are. Not withstanding Noters' liberties, the top is everyting out of the way, tidy enough. The other is Tackle out, as it where. I'm not recommending bolting things to the furniture, although, I'm not sure why the wife choose that moment to lose her mind and say yes, but she did and there it is. You have to act when those moments come round. They are rare. Anyway, thing is, this has been of some conciderable help as everything is nice and secure, not shifting around all the time, It is within comfy reach, and by now very familiar. Once the headphones are on , it feels really quite "contained". Anyway, I was just curious as to what measures some may have gone to.
in the on going quest for immersion. And, also too as well, are you moving the POV alot more or less with TIR? He doesn't want much does he...Ah Noter, don't run away!...swine.

McBiggles,
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:07 am

WoW :shock:
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:21 pm

Nice setup you have there mate! So what do you use that board for if it isn't to praise Noter? ;)

My setup is rather complicated; I place a large clipboard on my lap where my MS Sidewinder 2 joystick sits. Need a picture for explanation? :D

Oh you boys with all these toys. Who said cheater? What, spot of tea? Cheerios and cornflakes. Carry on McBiggles. ;)
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

You've gone too far McB

Post by :FI:Fenian » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:03 pm

In the name of equality, fraternity and liberty (I know some of you guys don't like the French...)

What a jolly nice up of setting.....

Me likes the digerdoo flap thingy whereupon your giver of joy sitteth (mind you i always have).

I'm postively in the dim ages in comparison.

Carry on, F.L. Biggles
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Imersion for sure

Post by MikeVictor » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:29 pm

Imersion freaks have a look at this web site and start drooling.....

http://www.acesim.com/main.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wouldn't be surprised if some of our fanatics build something like this. ...or already have... :roll:

Cheers, :)

MicVic
:D
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:20 pm

Very nice setup you have there McB :D

I vary my FOV but try to keep it on the widest setting as much as possible to help keep my SA as high as possible.

I'll try and post a picture of my own setup soon, but right now my computer has been invaded (we have a guest over).

s!
Snoop
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:53 pm

I used to put the mini fridge and a stack of books on my lap for the stick and then a bit of wood across the bed(chair) to the PC (on the same level) for the throttle then the keyboard on the desk, then I got peddles and the whole fidge thing didnt work anymore so they just sit on the desk lol :)
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:25 pm

This is actually the first time this setup has felt right. I should say; Mrs McB and I recently moved across town a little way to smaller digs. If any of you are the self-employed type, you know the joys of, as we say dabbleing in unemployment , anyway, in the other place the whole thing stuck out into this hall, and as you may notice, it is at a dangerous height, say, for at tall friend of my wifes, in heels... The other leg still looks fabulous....Sooo, when we moved and the computer went into the small room, on the smaller desk, I was very happy about it. I could put all of this in a dark corner. Take the big view, think small.
Before this I'd tried all sorts of stuff. But, since I was able to get replacements for the old Suncom gear, I'm equiped for the forseeable. A mate of mine, skilled in the ways of...lumber...put the thing together after we looked at the desk for awhile. Then moved to smaller etc...redid the thing. Now, somtimes the only thing missing is...what was that again MicVic?...winters coming...downtime...pvc...hmmm...

McBiggles
W.B. Yeats