the rabbit hunt!

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

the rabbit hunt!

Post by Beowolff » Wed May 18, 2005 1:40 pm

my grandpa used to love to hunt, especially rabbits. he made a wonderful concoction called rabbit stew that was full of (rabbit of course) meat, many spices and veggies, and other more mysterious things. just to smell it cooking would cause your stomach to rumble and thunder in mortal hunger...

anyways, this one hunt he went on was a real ringer... lol. he got his double-barreled shotgun, his daddy's own gun, a Parker, that had been handed down to him. a very nice shotgun back then, pretty expensive... and one of those old fashioned ones with the big, outside hammers.

as it was late in the fall and fairly cool, he put on warm clothing including his coat and hat, and last but not least, his hunting boots that my own father had given him for christmas the year before. these were Red Ball outdoorsman boots, high (above the ankle) laceups and all leather, but well-oiled to keep out moisture.

feeling fully prepared (and braced by one of my grandma's fine breakfasts complete with Standford coffee strong enough to whip a grown man's ass,) he set out across the timber-covered ridge north of the farm house. he'd crossed the ridgeline, and moved down into the small hollow on the otherside, when he came to a large tree stump that he'd chopped down himself the year before. he decided to step up on the stump to see across the hollow better, and as he got up on it, he spied a pair of loafing rabbits messing around some thirty or forty yards away near a patch of blackberry vines.

aha! he thought, a rare two for one shot! as both of the rabbits were sitting nearly side by side and nibbling along mindlessly on some small tidbit of grass. both were easily withing range of the 12ga. Parker, and would be easy to nail with a single barrel. he eased up the shotgun, so as not to alert them with a quick movement, sighted down the barrel, and slowly pulled the right trigger.

KA_BLOOIE! and the shell in the right barrel ignited. but what grandpa didn't know (and had forgotten to check) was that a damned dirt dauber had made a nice mud home in the right barrel of the old Parker. a very dangerous situation... and one that 'could' have cost him his life... but in this case he was rather fortunate, for all it did was split the barrel wide open for a length of about six inches and curl it outward sort of making it look like one of those old bell-muzzled musketoons that the English used to carry about in the old days. ---and of course the savage backblast/recoil from all of that tossing/slamming him right off the stump about five feet or so and into a puddle of icy spring water that was seeping out of the high ridge above.

the brutal jolt and fall actually knocked him senseless for several long minutes... and when he came to, he shook his head to clear away the fog in his eyes---and spied the same two (unharmed) rabbits now crouched up on the same tree stump he'd just gotten blown off of... staring at him strangely as if he were nuts or something.

lying there in the mud and water, he raised the Parker that he still had in his hands, and sighted along the 'left' barrel... then thought better of it and said to hell with the hunt.

LOL!

and it was a long spell before he went rabbit hunting again. and he NEVER would fire another rifle, pistol, or shotgun, without damned near taking the thing apart and carefully inspecting the barrel for obstruction first. a valuable lesson learned, eh?

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Igor
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Sat May 21, 2005 12:46 am

Yep, check for obstructions in the barrel. Thats why i keep the muzzle cover on my Swiss K31 rifle, it keeps snow out of the barrel. It must work because i haven't had one barrel obstructed with snow since i've lived in south Alabama.

Igor
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Sat May 21, 2005 1:22 am

LOL! not like you get a LOT of snow in 'bama, though, eh?

or does it snow more around there than it does in Tennesse?

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Sat May 21, 2005 6:45 am

I only attempted rabbit hunting twice. Both times my freind and I saw plenth of tracks but never saw one rabbit to get a shot. The next time we were out and without any firearms, we saw several of those furballs out in plain sight just laughing at us. Yep, they were laughing all right. I never went rabbit hunting again after that.

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

I know a couple of goofy farts...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat May 21, 2005 7:06 am

...that hired a guide to hunt rabbits! (They weren't too sharp, ok? Prolly from the big city.)

Once the guide got them to a campsite, they asked how they'd find game in the snow. (I said they weren't too sharp, ok??)

The guide told them to look for tracks when they got up the next morn, follow the tracks to the game, and shoot it.

Next morning they got up before the guide, spotted tracks outside the tent, and followed them for about a mile.

Finally they got to the end of the tracks, but found a totally naked blonde, 36-24-36 (or there abouts), sitting on a stump with an obvious "Come Hither!" look in her eyes!

When asked if she was game she said "Hell, YES!!!"

So they shot her.

:p *runs*
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Sat May 21, 2005 2:31 pm

Helo,
Later that day they were following more tracks, but got hit by the train.

We have a toy pomerian that hunts. She won't chase rabbits anymore; she had a bad experience with one; rabbits can be so vicious.

Igor
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun May 22, 2005 3:11 am

:D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x