UK’s last B-17 Flying Fortress, grounded by Euro Regulations

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

UK’s last B-17 Flying Fortress, grounded by Euro Regulations

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sat May 07, 2005 8:20 am

Copied from the SallyB website...

http://sallyb.dcgservices.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PRESS RELEASE

UK’s last B-17 Flying Fortress, Sally B, grounded by European Regulations

On the eve of the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the end of World War Two, new European regulations have grounded the UK’s much-loved Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress, Sally B.

This is because of crippling new EU third party liability insurance requirements, based on aircraft weight, which have placed Sally B in the same insurance category as a commercial airliner. The effect is an increase in liability insurance of almost five hundred per cent, which is the equivalent of a staggering one thousand pounds extra per flying hour, on top of the already incredibly high running costs. But unlike a 737, Sally B operates for only twenty hours a year, is on a Permit to Fly, and can neither fly commercially, carry passengers, fly for hire and reward or fly over built-up areas.

Elly Sallingboe, head of the aircraft’s operating company, said ‘In this anniversary of the end of World War Two, Europe has managed to ground the last B-17 in the UK. This is a bitter setback to the B-17 Team and Members, who have put in over a quarter of a century of relentless hard work and dedication to keep Sally B in the air. It seems the Government is powerless to grant an exemption to this new regulation, which is destroying historic aviation in the UK. It is particularly upsetting when you think that Sally B flies as a memorial to over 70,000 Allied airmen who lost their lives in the skies over Europe. The aircraft is ready to fly, and we will do everything humanly possible to find a solution.’

So what are we doing about it? We have begun a national media campaign to spread awareness of the aircraft’s plight, raise the additional funds and continue our fight for an exemption. We are positive that a short-term solution will be found so that Sally B can continue flying this season, starting with the Memorial Day Flypast over the American Military Cemetery at Madingley on 30 May. This is undoubtedly her most important and poignant event of the year, when we pay tribute to all those young men who sacrificed their lives for our freedom, and especially as we mark the 60th Anniversary of the end of the War.

We desperately need the public’s help now, more than ever. Details of how to support us can be found on How you can help page

People can also lobby their MPs to get this unjust law changed. MPs’ contact details can be found at http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything depends on the public’s reaction to our campaign and their generosity in making donations to The B-17 Charitable Trust. But if no permanent solution is found, this will be Sally B’s last season flying in this country.

For further information, please contact Sean Maffett, tel: (01451) 810100 e-mail sean@airsound.co.uk

Note, that whilst she is based at Duxford, she does not form part of the Imperial War Museum collection. She is a registered charity in her own right and is funded entirely by voluntary donation, sponsorship and souvenirs.

The new insurance regulation means they need an extra £25000 ($47k US, $59k CAD, e37k) per year on top of their insurance... this for approx 20 flight hours per year.

So whilst the regulation does not directly ground the aeroplane, the extra costs in compliance with the regulation could.

If you don't fancy donating to Oleg, you can donate to Sally B :roll:
Also becoming a member of the SallyB Supports Club will get you certain benfits too.

This is her taxiing when I went to Duxford in 2003. Smell da fumes ;)

I fear no beer

Stovies_
Professional Boardie

Post by Stovies_ » Sat May 07, 2005 8:05 pm

I hope she flies again.

I saw her at Duxford last year in flight, and it was awesome

Post by Guest » Sat May 14, 2005 11:28 pm

Really sorry to hear that. Wonderful birds to see flying about. Still see them at air shows in the USA.

Mike
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

There is nothing quite like...

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sat May 14, 2005 11:42 pm

The rumble of a B-17 as it flies overhead. I hope that the Sally B can make her way into the skies again.
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.