The Dilemma of Battlefield

Everything that got nothing to do with games we play ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:10 pm

So there's a little freedom of choice in BF, is that your point Moog? :lol:

BTW where are the subs? I never jumped into a sub before? What map/addon?

Yes, I have BF1942 plus the 2 addons as a package. Paid $40 Canadian for it all a year or so ago. I assume it's price is even lower.

Are you reading this thread Snoop? Would suggest you pick it up as there are some nice maps in Rome expansion.

Moog I am interested in that Battlegroup '42 mod. I might even re-install Desert Combat - that was well done indeed. Will installing either of these mods (especially Battlegroup) mess up my ability to play with folks with BF1942 only?

Great info Moog!
Post Maniac General

Battlegroup '42

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:15 pm

This Mod sounds incredible!

The BattleGroup42 team aim to promote team-play in a historically accurate and fun environment set across the battlefields of World War 2. With each successive release BG42 is developing its own style of unique gameplay. Scout forward positions and call in covering fire as a troop of friendly tanks roll forward backed by APC support, fly air cover protecting your bombers from marauding interceptors, assault an enemy beachhead taking the forward positions before moving inland to victory!

Historically accurate equipment displays the benefits and failings of their real counterparts. Features such as multi-role APC's and improved infantry classes promote teamplay by making it easier and more beneficial for players to work together. A comprehensively revised damage system allows for a much greater depth of feel without being draconian, one-hit kills are the exception not the rule.

We have gone to great lengths to produce gameplay that is both balanced and enjoyable. Attention to detail has also become a key aspect of the mod with high quality textures, sounds and models all carefully researched and developed. The result is a mod with approximately 130 tanks, trucks and cars; nearly 50 aircraft, over 70 small-arms and over 40 unique maps*. These represent 7 nations: Canada, Germany, Hungary, Japan, Russia, The United Kingdom and The United States.

BG42 is continually on the leading edge of creative development with the Refractor 2 engine that powers BF1942. Features, previously thought impossible or impractical have been made a reality. Examples include Autoplanes, self-flying aircraft with no input from users, and fully-articulate towable artillery originally thought impossible due to engine restrictions.
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:57 pm

:roll:

So what do we do?

:?: :?: :?:

BF1942 Anthology costs about 30 Euros here.

hmmmm

I don't know....

SH3, Bf.....

gotta print some money...:)
ImageImageImage
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:31 pm

You mean you DON'T print your own money now? :D

There are several interesting BF Mods, the one above I believe is the best as pointed out by Moog. The Desert one is great too. Heck there's even a WWI mod that looks neat.

It's ashame that we didn't include other gaming besides IL-2 a couple of years ago. I think we would have enjoyed BF1942 as a Squad in addition to flying. Given how good CoD is no doubt we would have also gotten into it as well.

Not sure what anyone should do. Snoop and I intend to enjoy BF1942 some more on Wednesdays. We both would love to see some others get it, with the possibility of maybe having some Sunday sessions in the near future.

Like others here, there's so many games to enjoy. I hear an expansion to R:TW is coming, not to mention Imperial Glory and SHIII. There's BF1942 stuff plus BF2 and then CoD 2 on the horizon (and Age of Empires III at the end of the year).

Not to forget the upcoming addon/patch for IL-2. Personally I would love flying 2-3 campaign missions each Wednesday when we all get "back together." Maybe these sessions could be a combination of flying and FPS (BF1942/BF2/CoD German Mod/CoD 2). Too much my head hurts.

TactS!
Post Maniac General

Nice Mod Snoop!

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:18 am

The Canadians at Caen. Oh ya baby!

Going for a swim. You can now use a rooming camera even when out of vehicles. Not crazy about it but an option.

Heading off the ships to Iwo Jima.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:05 pm

I had the chance last night to try one of two Berlin missions - Streets of Berlin. While hard on the framerate (as low as high 30s at times) opposed to a steady 60-80+, it sure was impressive! Lots of Allied planes flying overhead in formation (like in CoD but much lower and larger), smoke from the rubble, awesome tanks (well the tanks in this game are so detailed and historically correct!), and lots of buildings to run into. Just an amazing job!

There are 3-4x the maps in this mod then the regular game. Just love the historical mission briefings and the attention to history in the mission design. They even had the hill of Iwo Jima properly done. Again a great mod!

Snoop (and interested others) be prepared for an entire evening to download this monster. You will need to first download version 1.0 (@800 MB) which took me almost 1.5 hours. Then there is an update (1.1) that took an hour. I also downloaded the much smaller server file packs (1.0 + 1.1) in case you don't Snoop. Finally, apparently another patch is in the works that should be released soon.

They added a new solider - rifleman. Also, except for a head shot you need to "score" more hits in order to get a kill, which gives you longer to last in the game. The Sniper finally doesn't take forever to reload. Love the sound effects and red scope lense. This is important as I'm not seeing as much healing stations, making the medics much more important. Did I mention the tanks? The Tiger is awesome. The texturing and skins are really nice.

I sure hope they do a WW2 mod with BF2 - excellent mod makers. Why do programmers do this anyway? Recognition in the hopes for a job do you suppose? Just for fun (is that possible)?

Regards,
TactS!
:FI:Dutchman
The Unforseeable

Yeah Yeah okee you're right

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Tue May 03, 2005 8:49 am

I'll get BF II when it is out here.

somewhere around the start of july, it is

but in my opinon you can skip BF Vietnam because of what i've seen from BF II there are pretty much nammy scenes included.

and i really like the mods too for BF 1942 fun for months of playing
but youre absolutely right it's the FI thingy what is da cream on da cake.

and when COD II is out i'll hop on that one to get it alive on da server, and maybe in the meantime someone have occasionally a BF server running (moog ?)

Dutch..,

ImageImageImage
Better loose one minute in your life, than loose your life in one minute...
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue May 03, 2005 2:03 pm

You're too easy Dutch. ;)

Here's my $0.02 on gaming.

First I try to only buy those few games that really appeal to me and are the "leaders" in their respective fields.

I am still primarily a strategy gamer with a growing interest in good simulations.

Most games for me have about a solid 3 months of play until something else grabs my attention. With good mods and online play (especially with the Squad) this usual time frame can be further extended.

----------

Simulations

Like many here, given the depth and love for flying WW2 planes, I have been playing IL-2 on a regular basis for almost 3 years. While I may take some breaks now and again, I can see me enjoying this series for the foreseeable future. BOB hopefully will be even more immersive and a lot of fun for the Squad!

More recently I just started enjoying Silent Hunter III, which is my first ever naval sim. I think it is a very well done game that I will probably enjoy for some time. It is a different experience than say IL-2 in that the "excitement" isn't the same, but the satisfaction of a job well done (Historic settings) I think is the goal. Wished IL-2 could create this sense of immersion. I will look at mods later on perhaps to further enhance the experience.

----------

Strategy

Purchased R:TW when it was released, and I'm still am enjoying it (hey it's been more than 3 months! :D ). Best strategy game I ever played, and first Total War title I have tried.

Increasing the game difficulty, Developer's patches, a mod to make all factions playable, plus more recently an unofficial bug fix patch, has allowed me to really enjoy R:TW this long, albeit only in offline campaigns. There may be an expansion pack coming soon too!

I still consider myself primarily a strategy gamer. Looking forward to AOE III as this was my first PC strategy experience after Warcraft (original). Imperial Glory looks good too. I mostly enjoy historical-based RTS stuff, and generally not interested in fantasy or modern warfare titles (did try Matthew's Battle for Middle Earth).

This genre remains enjoyable but admittly the industry needs to add more dimension to the game play. I do like the concepts introduced in the Total War series, as I am tiring of resource building seen in so many RTS games who have patterned themselves off of the Age of Empire series.

----------

First Person Shooters

That just leaves FPS games. Not really interested in this genre. Popular titles like Halo 2 or DOOM3 don't interest me at all.

Prior to CoD I had no exposure to this form of gaming, and was surprised how well done CoD's campaign was (though very scripted). I also like the German Mod we are playing.

Notwithstanding, I personally do find these games lack sufficient depth to keep my attention too long, as they often rely mostly on twitch reaction instead of tactical decisions.

Nothing more empty for me than a server where you repeatively re-spawn and die. Luckily, being able to enjoy a dedicated :FI: server with my mates employing team tactics (or shovel dances) has made CoD enjoyable.

Dutch I do think the BF series offers a bit of diversion and more gaming complexity should you and any others pick it up. I think I will purchase BF2 also, especially if others start playing it until CoD II arrives. It will be released next month (supposely) here in North America (so if I do get it I'll have lots of practice before YOU :badgrin: ).

I think more than ever the FPS developers realize that gamers enjoy challenge, and we are finding a little depth in these sorts of games.

-----

Well, just some general thoughts about gaming. Is this post a record or what?

TactS!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Tue May 03, 2005 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Unforseeable

new record

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Tue May 03, 2005 3:02 pm

Oh man long post but..

First i am not easy at all, maybe easy going but not easy.

More recently I just started enjoying Silent Hunter III, which is my first ever naval sim
I played an amiga game called destroyer a long time ago.
I will start SH III asap i hope to have as much fun as you have untill now.

I still consider myself primarily a strategy gamer. Looking forward to AOE III as this was my first PC strategy experience
this goes for me too.

as far for the R T W game i looked at it but it's not my game i preffer the AOE series above this one

Popular titles like Halo 2 or DOOM3 don't interest me at all.
These games are also left at the shells by me too.
being able to enjoy a dedicated :FI: server with my mates employing team tactics (or shovel dances) has made CoD enjoyable.
oh nice please give me the link :lol:

Dutch I do think the BF series offers a bit of diversion and more gaming complexity should you and any others pick it up. I think I will purchase BF2 also, especially if others start playing it until CoD II arrives. It will be released next month (supposely) here in North America (so if I do get it I'll have lots of practice before YOU
that's it The game looks realy nice, it's something different for some time. And the key is to play it with the FI's that is the fun where i am looking forward too

So in general it's the fun together that count's and the game is the way to do it. and BF II got the potential from what i have seen now.

but what i wrote earlier about bf II was also for some selfprotection
and i did not took enough time to got a good impression on it.

thanks for the supporting, explaining long post

ImageImageImage
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue May 03, 2005 3:58 pm

Enjoyed your comments. Agree with everything my friend but that "easy" part. ;)

Got your PM, so stop reading these crazy forums and launch that U-boat Captain Dutchman! ^:)
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu May 05, 2005 3:54 am

I've been enjoying BF1942 a lot with Tactical but haven't had much time to post on these boards, just got around to catching up today because Tactical did not show up :( Or maybe it was that I was 20 minutes later than usual.

I can get BF1942 for $17.99 new and $9.99 used. And I can get the anthology for $29.99 new and $16.90 used. I'm visiting Dutchman before going to Spain this summer so I am going to buy a copy of the anthology for him as a gift :D.

If we play the 800mb mod does it make sense to buy the anthology? At $9.99 used I'm sure a lot of peeps that play COD would be interested and everyone has a system that can run it.

Here is a nother cool mod for you:

http://www.galactic-conquest.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A complete Star Wars mod complete with a Death Star trench run!

They have 64 vehicles imperial walkers, speeder bikes, etc. the works!

I will be playing BF1942 every Wednesday and hope to get a few more guys to join us :).

Why aren't the img links working??

Well here goes the index: http://www.galactic-conquest.net/index. ... ow&id=9206

s!
Snoop
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Thu May 05, 2005 11:21 am

Whoow yippieee

lucky me :lol: \:D/ ^:| :beg: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

ImageImageImage
The Unforseeable

nice one too

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Thu May 12, 2005 10:38 am

I found this mod for the battlefield series

the 1861 civil war mod that looks fun to me too.

Dutch..,

ImageImageImage
Kcid
Baby Boardie

Post by Kcid » Thu May 12, 2005 12:53 pm

K hears the deal, BF2 will come in the first week of juli in europe, end of story :badgrin: How do I know? We invest in games that are developed at EA.
And as for you playing as first tact :badgrin: Thats not gonna happen since I get a media sample before the launch :D
It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu May 12, 2005 1:30 pm

What Kcid?! :shock: You mean you don't ALREADY have the beta version? Did you want me to send it to you mate? Really awesome stuff. Great teamplay, huge maps, tons of vehicles.

----------

Sorry for not responding to your post Snoop; this is the first time I noticed it. How did that happen?

As I confessed last night, I was busy playing SHIII last Wednesday. :( But we had a great time last night flying some of my old COOPs with your friend Mike. Is he excited enough about flying to join our sorry little band of misfits?

-----

Yes, we must play the BF1942 Realism Mod next week! I think you guys will love it.

TactS!