the way to work

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:40 am

as Willie noted, in the US, its owls... of several different types, that make such a "screaming woman" sound...but around here we call 'em "screech" owls. though the old barn owl can make a good second guess too. tiny little things, the screechers... but can blow themselves up and screech so loud they can neigh well make you jump out of your underwear.

really, it will scare the hell out of you if unexpected on a dark night in the woods or swamps.

also, heard a cougar scream once too... another sound that will make you shite your breeks... and there "is" some danger with that too.

but by and by the most normal/usual non-dangerous thing to completely scare the dickens out of me.... a simple covey of quail. setting on the side of the road in the dim light of early evening... invisible in the shadows of late afternoon/early evening. and quite still until you walk right up on them. then "WOOF!" they EXPLODE into the air right in your freakin' face! and it takes a REAL man with nerves of steel to NOT dance a little jig of mind-numbing fear and grunt and growl and go, "ga, ga, ga, holy SHITE!"

:? :? :?

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Baderslegs
Postmaster

Post by Baderslegs » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:22 pm

Got a better pic? What kind of furry lil beastie be that?
No can't seem to find a better/bigger picture Willie.

It was a fox making the blood curling noise that stained my underpants.

:oops:
Originality and strangeness are good,
blind conformity and stupidity are unforgivable.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

:FI:Baderslegs
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:27 pm

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:45 pm

:FI:Baderslegs wrote:
Got a better pic? What kind of furry lil beastie be that?
No can't seem to find a better/bigger picture Willie.

It was a fox making the blood curling noise that stained my underpants.

:oops:
a fox? good lord. i'm sure you're right but here in Tenn. our foxes will never make such a sound---or at least i never heard tell of it. instead they do a sort of short, sharp bark---sort of like a dog, but then you can tell the difference instantly. i have heard our foxes do some howling...but its sort of like a coyoto... though shriller and not as loud.

those Scotish foxes must be of a bit different type than over here, which is not surprising, i guess.

my grand dad once told of panthers here in Tenn. and that there were some left even when he was a kid, but eventually were hunted to extinction because they could not leave the livestock, chickens and small calves and hogs and such, alone. i never really believed him on that, he told so many wild and outlandish tales... (his childhood would have been in the late 1800's and very early 1900's)

then years later, one day in high school, i was going through some old newspaper accounts of 1902 and right there on the front page was a picture of a panther...dead and slung between two poles. killed by a local farmer for attacking one of his young cows.

the article below the picture went on to explain that "most" of the panthers around the state had been killed by then, and that was most likely the last of the breed. so grand dad was right after all and was telling no tall tale on that one. as i've grown older, i've also found shreds of truth in most of his tall tales... seems he wasn't "always" just pulling us kids' legs on a whole lot of things. lol.

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;