Mini FW190 RC model.

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Biggles3
Baby Boardie

Mini FW190 RC model.

Post by Biggles3 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:44 pm

Hey guys..

Dont know if any of the FI are interested in RC planes... well... I am! :D

well anyway.. a few days ago i bought one of these:
Its a teeny weeny lil electric powered FW190.. comes basicly ready made.. flies great with the stock motor and low cost radio gear..

Read the review here: http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have flown mine already when the wind died down a bit this morning.. befor it started raining.. and apart from getting a tad wet on the landing in the wet grass... it was amazing.. it flies so slow! check out these vids

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/media/ALF205-FW190.wmv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.srcm.co.uk/pages/pops/aero_p ... 190_04.wmv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am so chuffed now.. It flies so well on the stock motor.. 5 stars!

Oh and the company do a Corasir, P51, P47 and La 7 too... i beilieve the Spitfire and Me109 are in development at the moment... oo i cant wait :D

< runs off to put decals on his lil baby wurger >
' Dont Worry.. i crash better than anybody i know '

Mel Gibson
Air America
Anything, Anywhere, Anytime.
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Hey you, what's that sound?

Post by :FI:Moog » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:02 pm

I think that's the model Oleg used to record the in-game sounds :badgrin:

That looks amazing Biggles, you'll have to post some pics of it in action. Maybe you could hook up some BB guns that could be fired from the RC. All the FI could take their armed RC craft to Duxford and put on a (little) Big Show :lol:
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:17 pm

8) Realy nice of you to honor me with the paint-job,M8..... ;)
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:33 pm

Climb rate looked fine but the roll rate is way off. [-(

Seriously, that looks like great fun. But isn't there a risk of fresh air and sun flying a FW that way? :D

Enjoy!
Biggles3
Baby Boardie

Post by Biggles3 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:47 pm

moog. my Fw190 will be put away until winter backs off a bit.. I had originaly planned on getting it ready for flight then airbrushing some weathering and adding some more scale details to it befor i flew it. But i had charged the batteries over night to do a engine test today.. when i woke up this morning i looked out of my window... realising it was flat calm i got dressed and ran down to the shed to get it and went out and flew it while i could.. i just couldnt resist ;) i am currently airbrushing some exaust weathering onto it..

A couple of friends in my local model club have got the F51 and the La7 this X mas.. so it looks like we might have some mock combats:P.. 2 vs 1 but ime reconing my lil FW190 can beat them ;)

Mel Gibson
Air America
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:34 am

The video looked awesome :D

I've heard you can add little streamers to your model airplanes and then if you fly close to the streamer for X seconds you shoot the other guy down. Have you heard or tried this Biggles?

Enjoy your plane :D

s!
Snoop
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:55 am

Do these models have rudder control?

Snoop
Biggles3
Baby Boardie

Post by Biggles3 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:20 am

Snoop.. no they dont.. and to be honest.. dont need it...... they are so light and angile.. oh.. and FAST (when you open the power up anyway) that you realy dont think about using the rudder.. i went to move the rudder stick once or twice without thinking on the first flight.. but after that i got used to it.. I have spent most of the day scale detailing mine.. it looks awsome now.. very individual.

Also about the streemer fights.. yes i have done lots of that. but i wouldnt do it with a model like this.. mainly because its not the strongest thing in the world and in a heated combat pilots have been known to misjudge the distance between them, the other aircraft and sometimes also the ground... usuly ending in a slightly broken model.. so its usuly better if you fly combat with a wooden aircraft ( and a cheap one too) so its much easier to repair and also a hell of allot less expensive..

for people that are interested the specs of my setup in the FW are

Standard speed 300 motor and APC SF prop.
Cheap Sub-Micro RC gear. 2X6gram servos and a small reciever.

The special bit of the model is the battery pack.. now this isnt like your normal electric aircraft battery pack, its a new type of battery called 'Lithium Polymer' or Li-Poly if you will. Li-polly packs give increased power and duration over old Ni-cad or Ni-Mh packs but are also much much lighter.. You pay the price in user friendlyness though. You have to treat them with respsect.. Over charge one and you can expect it to be swollen up and about to burst into flames buy the time u remember you have left a battery on.

The Li-Polly pack i use is a Kokam 1500mah 2c pack..

With this setup i get an incredable 20mins of mostly full power blatting around or 35mins at a much more scale speed.

Also one last thing.. any body reading this thinking the Fw190 would be a good first RC plane.. Small..Light... only Aileron and Elevator to worry about.. Well... its not.. its very fast and relativly brittle and tricky to fly and defenetly not a beginers aircraft.

Now that everybody is looking at me strange because i have confuzed them all with technobabble.. ile shut up and finish up paiting oil leaks on the underside of my Wurger ;)

Cheers..!

Mel Gibson
Air America
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:13 am

:FI:Biggles3 wrote:Over charge one and you can expect it to be swollen up and about to burst into flames buy the time u remember you have left a battery on.
You can get those programmable plug timers... like the electro/mechanical ones people use to turn the lights on and off with. Sounds like it would be cheaper than a battery.

G
I fear no beer

Kcid
Baby Boardie

Post by Kcid » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:14 am

Wow this is really cool!! What kind of RC aircraft is for beginners? I also like to build.... :D
It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.
Kcid
Baby Boardie

Post by Kcid » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:05 pm

Ahh found out allot more about this subject this morning.
In the Netherlands the most popular Trainer aircrafts are the Robbe Charter http://www.robbe.com and the Discovery trainer. I also have to get a flying license and I have a rc airport 1 km from my house :) ah I love new toys and things to play with :D
It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.
Biggles3
Baby Boardie

Post by Biggles3 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:27 pm

yes gurb.. i have a £170 Pro peak programamble multi type charger.. basicly the best currently available. and it does automaticly turn off.. but some field chargers (ones u connect to your car battery to charge a battery while at the model club) dont and i know already a case of one persons car being burnt out thanks to him not keeping a good eye on how long it had been on charge for. :shock:

Kcid.. Yes the charter is a good first model. But even thought its a trainer please dont try to fly it on your own without supervision from an instructor.. I would go down to the RC flying feild and speek to some people and see if they are a proper club with a instructor. They can get you setup with insurance (witch you NEED) and also the club instructor can help you lurn to fly.

RC aircraft are not toys.. even the trainers fly at 30-50 mph and can weight a good few pounds. Quite a few people have been killed by being hit buy a out of control model aircraft over the years. And even some of the smallest engines can hurt you if you manage to catch your finger in the prop.

Ime not trying to scare you from starting model flying.. just telling you the dangers
;)

hope thats helped.

Mel Gibson
Air America
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:46 pm

Thanks Biggles :). Lots of good info there!

s!
Snoop
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:33 pm

:FI: Biggles wrote
RC aircraft are not toys..
I used to fly "old time RC". We had 30's-40's vintage planes with RC assist on the controls. We had a monster motor up front to get a LOT of altitude and then we went into the soaring/hunt for thermal mode.

At every competition, there was a guy standing by with a 12 ga shotgun. It was his duty to stop any plane that got out of control. I saw more than one very nice model reduced to splinters because of radio problems, structural problems, or pilot ineptitude. :( better that than to have someone sliced up by a runaway plane. ;)
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:55 am

lol ide like to see the shotgun thing brought in as a official rule..

Hemmm.. i wonder if i can find a Bofors AAA gun on Ebay :lol: