:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:12 pm

gah!

show wack?

uh ...

never mind.

I s'pose that's seahawk? or gosh hawk?

excuse my ignorance, but is Gaelic, Irish Celtic, Irish and Gaelige about the same thing? Don't laugh ... it gets very confusing.

and is there a good New Orleans > Gaelige > New Orleans on-line translator/dictionary around?

Thanx Salahdin
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:16 pm

Here's where I got faolchon ...

falcon clamhan masc.
falcon faolchon masc.
falcon seabhag fem.
falcon seabhag-seilge fem
falconer seabhacair masc.
falconer seabhagair masc.
falconer sealgair masc.
falconer seòcair masc.
falconry seabhagaireachd fem.

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/cgi-bin/sbg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Masc....

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:51 am

means that it's masculine....

:)

So... I think Clamhan (pronounced Clown) would suit :)

:lol:
_________

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:10 pm

jeez!

Fen ol' shingle ...

me thinks you've been on that roof tooooo long.

:P

faueualcchkohhne

Just pink and fluffy

I fink u

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:05 pm

is right Capt.

:)
_________

Oscar Wilde
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:19 pm

Sal, I speak Irish, I went to an all Irish National school, alas I can't write it at all I have forgoten it, but as for speaking it sure. The unit I was in in the army is the only Irish speaking unit in the Irish Army AN CHEAD CHATH this was an honour given to them as a result of there very long history we were a direct branch of the Connaguht Rangers .
As to the decline of Irish you can't blame the English for all of it, indeed when they withdrew from Ireland in 1926 there was still a huge amount of Irish spoken in the area I'm from (Galway), I think the decline really started due to to teaching methods used. The fact that it was forced down your mouth and in my case beating into me by the preists who thought me in national school, when I was in National School it was still ok for the teachers to beat there students ( I think they banned it in 1984, but all through national school we were beaten, and I have the scars to prove it) I think thats why more people stopped speaking it.
Is misa le mas.
Rab
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Similar situation in the USA

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:14 am

The situation was similar here in the USA during the period after westward expansion, though for different reasons and with different results.

After the "west was won", the Native American children were forced to go to reservation schools where they were beaten if they spoke their native tongue, resulting in a serious decline in knowledge of their ancestors and traditions.

The end result of the beatings was they spoke it only at home, where it was safe. This in turn resulted in an eventual serious decline in the use of their native language, though recently there has been a strong successful re-learning of their roots including schools that teach only in the native languages.

It's heartening to see that rather than becoming "dead" languages, the Native languages are on the up-swing, and rather than embarrassment about their past people are taking comfort and pride in it .

Up the cultural diversity!
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Bambi
Baby Boardie

Post by Bambi » Sun May 30, 2004 6:30 pm

Tá Beaganín Gaelige fós agamsa freisín ach tá eagla orm go bfuil mé AN as cleachta anois. :?

I was probably lucky that i went to a small irish primary school that was founded by parents, it wasnt run by any religous order so from age 6-7 onwards i spoke irish for most of the day Unfortunately the secondary school i went to was a CB run one and i was out of there in two years as i disliked them so much, thus ending my use of irish on a daily basis . I still bump into my primary school teachers every now and then and its embarrasing trying to converse with them in irish :oops:

On the subjects of names, thats were my nic comes from, my real name is gaelic for "small deer" hence bambi 8)
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun May 30, 2004 6:38 pm

CB?

Bambi
Baby Boardie

Post by Bambi » Sun May 30, 2004 6:55 pm

oops CB= the (anti) Christian Brothers, a religious order. the bane of many an irish kids life :oops:
Just pink and fluffy

CB...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun May 30, 2004 6:58 pm

Christian Brothers....

Non-ordained perverts that train young boys to play hurling defensively. They wear long black robes and people, for some obscure reason, trat them like priests or saints.... yes, you can sense anger here :)

Responsible for mental, physical and sexual abuse of quite a few kids in the last 100 years....

I was a CBS boy for a few years... and I found them to be sadistic assholes. Thanksfully all they hurt on me were my hands and wrists....
using leather straps with pennies sewn into them..... and sometimes they got the kids to hit each other so they could watch....

Ahh... don't you love religion?

Thank Dog I is older and wiser now :)
_________

Oscar Wilde
Bambi
Baby Boardie

Post by Bambi » Sun May 30, 2004 7:09 pm

what school did ya go to Fenian?? we could have played defensive hurling against each other :lol:

having said that, the CBs were originally a noble enough outfit i think, trying to educate poor kids etc, but the ones i had were either psychotic or perverted..or both :shock:
Just pink and fluffy

Snap Bambi ;)

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun May 30, 2004 7:17 pm

Thurles CBS, Co. Tipp :)

I know if at least one of them that was forced to 'disappear' due to his liking of young boys.... but as far as I know he was back a year or so later.....

On a lighter note, one of my friends (he was a big lad for his age) punched one of the big buggers in the face after he hit him..... nothoing was reported, but the brothers were a bit quieter for a while ;)

Where were you *educated* by these people?

:D
_________

Oscar Wilde
Bambi
Baby Boardie

Post by Bambi » Sun May 30, 2004 7:21 pm

Coláiste Mhuire up in dublin, parnell square to be exact so i doubt we ever crossed hurls :)

by the time id left the school, most of the dodgy brothers were being retired, usually as they'd assaulted one of the kids. Parents were a lot more likely to sue them by the late eighties

Having said that the ordinary teachers there were pretty rough too :oops:
Salahdin
Boardie

Post by Salahdin » Sun May 30, 2004 10:57 pm

Have either of you lads played against Ardscoil Ris in Limerick in the hurls? As far as i know, most of the brothers in that place died off, theres only two left, one of whom has serious psychological problems.
"God Save Ireland" said the Heroes