Flying as a squadron

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Flying as a squadron

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:32 am

Folks,

I found this interesting video of a chap analysing the performance of the appearance of his squadron (=OPFR=) in the Tactical Air War (TAW). It has opened my eyes for the necessary steps to go for being a member of a quite successful flying unit (i.e. not underestimating the distance to the ground while attacking ground targets or really covering the own bombers as a fighter pilot).

But take a look yourselves ...

Gen "Tactics? me?" osse ^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Re: Flying as a squadron

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:14 pm

Thanks for posting, Frank.

Some very good basic points were made in the video, notably Night Flying, Ground Distance, Flak, Coverage for each other, especially Damaged Mates.

Night Flying is basically a "no go" for me due to my poor eyesight, but the other points do hit home.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Yep, good points there all. It's certainly very possible to find a lot of success as a ground attak unit in TAW or any other server, IF your group is willing to follow some basic good tactics. Just requires a little bit of planning, then sticking to the plan as best you can. In other words, discipline required. Like so many other things in life, discipline & teamwork = more success; less of either one = near certain mediocrity or worse, nothing myserious there.

Of course TAW is on the more extreme end, since success there also requires a pretty substantial TIME commitment.
But I maintain firm belief that we could see similar successes even on random Sunday servers by applying some of those same tactics... but it would also require participants to do some flying on other days, to maintain at least basic familiarity with planes, and decent fliying skills and SA. I've not been doing that myself lately, and it doesn't seem that many others have either, with our trend to enjoy mostly other games lately. Nothing wrong with that... just making observations.
One day perhaps some of us will get hungry enough to work on this again, we'll see. I hope so.
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:11 pm

Blue2 our new goal