2-Wheeled Transport

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

2-Wheeled Transport

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Anyone here with 2-wheeled transportation besides myself and McBiggles?

We both have Royal Enfields and get together as often as possible for rides around Santa Fe, usually.
I have a '12 Bullet C5 Classic 500cc (currently in pieces in the garage), a Bullet '06 Electra X 500cc, and a '18 Bonneville T100 soon the be attached to a Sidecar.
McB (AKA "Mike") has a '08 Bullet and I am his Tech Support (although my attempts at an Indian accent are deplorable ;) )
I believe Frank had mentioned something about having or getting a bike. If so I'm very curious to know more.

So if anyone has or is planning to get a bike chime in! :D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: 2-Wheeled Transport

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:13 pm

Dan, ole boy! :)

I call a Honda Deauville 650 my own (built in 2002) ... she's ugly but paid. :lol: ;)

^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Ugly? No way! Love the color, too.
I believe that same bike is sold here in the States as the Honda Pacifica (I think).
Thanks for the pic!
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:43 pm

nice bike
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:54 pm

2006 Royal Enfield Electra X. Spent a whole year re-building, re-painting, and improving the engine's breathing. Goes like a raped ape now.

2012 Royal Enfield Bullet C5. I've taken this one from Albuquerque, NM to Aurora, Colorado twice now. Great bike for the 2-lane roads.

With Side Car:

Performance was so weak with the extra weight of the side car I'm gonna put it on this 2018 Bonneville:
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:31 pm

Great looking rides, Dan! It's obvious to see that a mechanic is the owner of these beauties. =D] :)

BTW, is it difficult to write the bike with a sidecar? I was thinking of getting such a machine as well ... as soon I'm old enough ... :lol: ;)

Gen "Rolling, rolling" osse ^:)

Image Image
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:28 pm

I think the worst thing about having this Side Car ( mine has no brake) is the setup once it's attached to the bike. You should adjust so the bike has a lean angle out from the car of about 1.5-2.0 degrees to account for road center crown. That's not too bad, but then aligning it minimize pull to the left or right is an excersize in frustration. But once aligned to a good point (I really don't think it can be perfect) it's definitely fun, especially for the passenger.
When I have no passenger it is necessary to add ballast to the car so it doesn't "fly" when I turn a corner. It's pretty unnerving when it happens! Much like forgetting to put your side stand up before taking off. :oops: I bought a couple 50lb bags of sand and transferred the contents to milk jugs to ease my back when loading ballast.
Once properly set up, riding isn't too bad. Just remember that you DRIVE a hack, you RIDE a bike. It will require decent upper body strength to counter the shock absorber used as a steering damper.
Takes a few rides to get used to and I highly recommend reading a few books on Side Cars before proceeding with a purchase. It also doesn't hurt to check into Side Car forums for excellent advice.

I bought my tub from here, as I have confidence in the seller here in the States:
https://www.cyclesidecar.com/
The "Guides" link at the top will provide additional links to books free to download.

That said, depending on the vendor you choose, it may be necessary to spend a few extra Euros to "make it yours".

Units are available on E-Bay, Amazon, and individual vendors on the web, and prices vary depending on the vendor. Talk to your local Honda dealer to see if they have any suggestions.
If you do decide to venture into the "hack" culture, I'll help any way I can from here.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 pm

O-TAY!

Finished up the wiring and took her for a spin this afternoon. Alignment feels good, but I'll need to get used to the steering damper again, especially on those right-hand turns in first gear! Still a couple of cosmetic items to look after, but then it's off to a canyon with the missus loaded. :D
Here it is with its convertible top up.

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:30 am

She is simply beautiful, Dan. Good work, mate! =D] :D

Gen "Who's jeaulous on Dan?" osse ^:)

Image Image