Windows 10

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Windows 10

Post by :FI:Murph » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:42 pm

Anyone else here getting ready for the big (free) upgrade? Reports are that it will greatly improve gaming performance, even on older graphics cards.
https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... 8&oe=utf-8
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: Windows 10

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:33 am

Murph, ole bean!

First of all I think it's obvious to say that you get nothing for free in life. There's always a snag to it:

a) We've been kindly asked to continually using a Microsoft product.
b) Like in the past there will be different (expensive) versions of Windows available (e.g. Premium, Professional, etc), am I right?
c) What the heck? It's Microsoft! They still have a monopoly on desktop PCs, for Pete's sake!

Frankly speaking, I haven't started to think about swapping to Windows 10. What I've seen of it so far reminds me of the Windows Phone OS and honestly I didn't like using it. So, why should I bother about it?

Let's see what the other mates think about it. Maybe they can convince me to get Windows 10?!?

Old-fashioned Gen :)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:18 pm

Just waiting for all the bug reports, discontinued driver/device support etc.

Also no media player in W10 so more expense to wayth movies DVD and audio.

No thanks.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:06 am

I don't use media player anyways, and I can always find a free utility to watch movies, etc. Media player was phased out with windows 8. I'll serve as guinea pig and let you guys know how it all turns out. MS has said that this is to be the last windows OS- I imagine it's pretty expensive for them to keep paying to get service and security updates written every week or so for win 7 and 8, so they actually save money in the long run getting as many people as they can using win 10. It's also meant to serve as a universal OS, to work on tablets, phones, xbox, etc., as well as PCs. We'll see how it all goes.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:51 pm

All good for microsoft, but for me I know that my version of Propellerhead Reason will not work in W8; so I'll save £600 keeping 7

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Murph,

Been using Windows 8.1 for a while with no issues (Steam-based gaming). My preference is to go directly to the desktop, though the tiles for the Windows 8 Start Menu didn't really bother me especially once this was an option in 8.1 to bypass. Personally, though I use an Android phone, I think Microsoft's tile presentation superior to Apple's aging interface for its mobile devices. I am looking forward to the integration of my Xbox One and Alienware (Windows 10) PC.

From the videos and reviews I have seen Windows 10 should be solid, though I am sure there will be some initial issues like always.

Microsoft is the "man" for sure. But is there an alternative in this corporate-dominated world? Just another "man." Linux was the hope to offer an alternative OS but M$ has held the lionshare of the market. Could switch to Apple (I am an iTunes user) but then you are just substituting "men." Seems to me at least that M$ listened to their PC users and have created a better OS for PC gamers.

But Frank is right, nothing is free. M$ is trying to buy a larger and more secured marketplace that we users will be paying for down the road. Though I have always appreciated some of the features of Apple PCs they still do not appeal to me as a PC gamer. So I see no real alternative to Windows and no compelling reason not be soon upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10.

Anyway, remember Murph you do not have to install the upgrade right a way. Also, after installing the upgrade we will be able to do a clean install if you wish. A little patience might avoid any initial upgrade headaches though I suspect much of the core of Windows 10 is Windows 8.1 so the transition should be rather smooth. What I have heard is that folks needed to reinstall their security software afterwards. Steam (if you use it) runs fine, and as you initially mentioned there is an appreciable performance increase with the new OS (DX). I find the interface attractive, but I realize that this is a personal preference.

As always the very best to everyone!

Mark
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:43 am

Had a hiccup with the Win 10 install-no internet connection. I needed to re-install the ethernet card drivers from the motherboard disk. All is well for now.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:22 pm

Did the upgrade with no issues then proceeded to do a clean install. The only issue, as expected, was that I had to reinstall my Bitdefender software.

TS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:25 pm

:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:29 pm

Well Windows 2000 was really for servers so if we are counting that we had better count Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008/2008 R2
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 am

Good one Sneaky! :D
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:04 am

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:14 am

Smoothest. OS Update. Ever.
Everything works, including practically all my old programs. So far only had to install Adobe Reader.
:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:12 am

will it work in windows 98?
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 am

Yes Mike, but you'll need a 16lb sledge and a cold chisel- permanent win 98 fix.