The ongoing JG42 war

Dates, News and Comments

Should we skip the Moscow and move over to the Bessarabia campaign as soon as possible?

Yeah, let's move immeadiately!
25%
Yeah, ... but give Moscow further two weeks before moving over!
6%
Naw, me loves Moscow! Let's fight there to the bitter end!
44%
Where da beer ... again?
25%

Total votes: 16
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Re: The ongoing JG42 war

Post by :FI:Armitage » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:04 pm

If we are flying non war coops some of us may fly blue!
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:19 am

Yeah, what Eamonn said! :D
As I understand it (I wasn't there during the early years), the FI have flown Red in every or almost every online war they've joined... and some may prefer this. But I know most of us value balanced sides more than flying a certain plane set or side, and the Blue side usually fills up the fastest when online wars are getting started, for whatever reason. That could be why we're always flying Red...? I'm certainly one who enjoys flying ALL the planes!

A big "yes" to unofficial fun August - plus maybe I can brush up on my schoolboy German a little. :lol:

Not sure anybody can offer anything with MDS, but we've got a host of good COOP mission builders & I'm sure we'll have fun whatever we do. The squad's normal flying time on Sundays is 1/2 hour later than the campaign starting time.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:20 am

I tried writing a couple of dogfight missions using MDS a while ago, but could not get it to work very well. That may well have been an earlier version so it may be worth me revisiting it, must be at least 3 years ago.

If not I certainly have plenty of DF missions in the archive we can dust off, or maybe I can find the time to write some new ones. Any requests?
Olegs stalker

:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:04 pm

We could continue this map on the FIBOW (Bellum Style engine) I have the exact map already setup that the original creaters made. You have the option of 1941 or 42. I appreciate the Bellum engine creates coops and that has disadvantages players turning up late have to wait till the next missions and if you are killed in action you also have to wait until the next mission. However..

I'm thinking I could change the code to add home bases with the appropriate aircrafts on each side. Not an expert on perl script but I think I could do this using a powershell script. The Bellum mission generator would crete the mission I then add a setion in the code that executes a powershell script before the mission is downloaded, the script looks in the mission file, finds the Take of airfields and adds a homebase to each. The script will also check what aircrafts are being used in the mission and add these to the homebase available aircrafts. The mission file is successfully edited and ready for the user to download. The mission can be loaded as a dog fight and players can join mid session and refly if killed.

Each mission lasts 60 mins, we then report the missions the website is updated and ready for us to downlaod the next.

we could implement some kind of life system, 3 lifes then your out

?
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:56 pm

I had a crazy idea for a 3 sided fun match. Red v Blue V Green bases
Players select team Red or Blue at start matched AC
Once shot down they have to fly for Green but with substantial downgrade.
last man/team standing wins

Welcome to the thunderdrome :badgrin:

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:24 pm

I can offer to generate single MDS missions with DCG on basis of the default DCG maps, before I leave next saturday.
The mission would be hosted by s.o. as single MDS map without any relation to DCG.

Donwload Pack
(Ardennes44,Finland39,Guadalcanla43,Iasi44,IwoJima45,Kuban43,Normandy44,Prokhorovka43,Singapore41,Stalingrad42,Italy43,MarethLine43,Hawai41) - single mission each theatre

See ya in 60 mins above Moscow ^:|
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Thx for your stay!
We will take a short break up to 28th august, I guess u will fly nevertheless :)
The map is updated.
Everyone a nice summer month, catch ya end of august!

:wink2:

Soviet forces are concentrated around Dedovsk Depot (S-13).
Soviet forces are concentrated around Lesnoy Gorodok Depot (S-11).
Reports indicate that there is intense fighting at Ruza (N-12).
Reports indicate that there is intense fighting at Peredel Dropzone (N-7).
Heavy fighting reported at Dorokhovo (O-10).
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:29 pm

Bug report- spent most of 2nd mission flying around radio beacon looking for the airfield

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Thx. I suppose it got moved a few coordinates, when I corrected the statics on the airfield.
Will moved it for next one, sry. Do u need any more of those antennas?
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:11 am

Perhaps it is as well that we have a break from this war for a while, because maybe some thinking needs to be done about about what we bunch of old men want here.

I ask you Nephris though as you justified sitting over a red airfield with two F4's with no enemy flack as within the rules, do you think that is good form?
If the next time I happen to shoot you down I choose not to stop shooting as I have done before to let you bail would that be any worse than you or your friend shooting me on the base as I spawned before I had even moved at the third time of asking? The two F4 sat above this airfield on three of my spawns as is their right I guess, shot me down because as I accept I chose to take off from there. But surely let the pilot take off?

I recall doing something similar with vicious flak with Mikester over your bases and we never went near attacking blue fighters until they had time to climb. I received no such courtesy. If I have been similarly failing in my attitude and was being targeted for it I'd want to know and would simply apologise to those I had wronged.

Do we want to fly this IL-2 war this way, balls out win at any cost? I prefer not even as a Scot ;) . I'd prefer to respect my opponents, hope they act the same way and have some fun. It has been this way so far but I saw another side last Sunday that in past wars has caused me and others to act just as ruthlessly in return with little reward and ultimately no enjoyment. I don't want the same here and knowing my teammates neither do they.

Perhaps a step back and some rethinking is required before we continue?
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:32 am

If I remember correctly G, we did speak about this on the forums and came to an agreement we could let it continue. I appreciate we have a different kinds of vulching here, I really don't mind when i pilot sits above the base as long as I can get my wheels up i feel Im in with a chance. Unfortunately thats probably the enemys thoughts also!

It's a bummer for sure to be shot before even starting your engine and maybe we should have a review of this. When this does happen you feel inclined to do the exact same back. Before you know it your entire mission revolves around doing the exact thing you hate in orther to seek some revenge and inflict the same frustration on your opponents.
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:48 am

Yeah you are right Mike. One incident is not a big deal itself, even if deliberate, it is where it ends up is the concern.

As I said a good time for a break. :)
Graf Zahl
Baby Boardie

Post by Graf Zahl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:16 am

Gadje some time ago wrote:In past wars it was ruled out because of the progressively bad feelings between teams it generated. Some fighter squads did little else than sit out of range of base flak and wait for landing planes at the end of the mission. Forums then filled with hate.
Seems you predicted it correctly... :(

I did not witness the incident but later I was told by the pilot who shot you on the ground that this was 'by accident'. He said he mistook you for a static plane plane - while he was strafing, he saw the engine starting...
The rest of this incident: 2 Friedrichs sitting over an airfield is really bad news. Was this a short attack (i.e. did you get killed, spawned directly and get killed again...) or were they sitting there for a while, sieging the airfield?

Sieging is a really bad thing and makes everyone a sad panda. This is for sure and you already got that right some months ago, Gadje.

However: Problem is, airfields are important targets in this campaign. They are often also way points and must be captured by ground forces.
Considering the recent advances of the front line, more and more red airfields are directly at the front and become more and more important targets.
So even sieging an airfield might be ok if it is done to to clear the path for ground attackers who themselves are paving a way for tanks.
Gadje wrote:Perhaps a step back and some rethinking is required before we continue?
Yes.
Although blue is still some big steps away from victory, the situation for red is stressful at least. With the advancing front line blue gathers more and more resources, reducing the red ground force while multiplying their own. Plus red has less airfields to choose from and many of those fields are in danger of being overrun.

While some weeks ago I was hell-bent on finishing this campaign one way or the other, I can see now how this might not be the best experience for all pilots.
There is this stupid little feeling of fecklessness that will arise...and since there is no quick victory in this campaign, it will stay a while.
I experienced something similar in a campaign organized by the guys from KV13. As there were plenty of blue pilots, we joined red. Being outnumbered we suffered losses. Those losses led to downgrades and at the end we were flying early Hurricanes with their useless flashlights against numerically superior 109.
Just a really bad experience over all and nothing that needs repetition.

So yeah...more thinking needs to be done about the future of the Moscow Campaign. :D
We enjoy flying with you guys and would obviously like you to have a good time as well (even so some actions might look different... :shock: )

Talking about 'over the top actions': Last mission a concrete bird aka IL-2 attacked our airfield at Uvarovhka. I took off with a fighter to get it - which I luckily did. After shooting most of its elevators it went down. Then 2 more 109s popped up and and also placed some lead markings on its rear end, even though it was obviously going down (at least it looked like this to me).
So I thought to myself 'Hell no, this one is mine!' and attacked the plane again even though it was at this time already successfully sitting on its belly in beautiful countryside.
I took a while for me to realize how this must have felt for the red pilot...being shot down, attacked 2 times while practically crashing and then attacked even after the crash... :?
Poor guy probably thought I would be trying to kill the pilot... :oops:

I think the pilot was Sneaky. Sorry sir...I just lost it and got way over the top.
Sadly stuff like this happens sometimes in the heat of the moment. Please take no personal offense.

Additionally I blame those stupid statistics for making me a close-fisted kill gatherer... :x :o

Cheers!

GZ
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:06 am

Graf Zahl wrote:Additionally I blame those stupid statistics for making me a close-fisted kill gatherer... :x :o
I'd like to quote a band from the 1980s called "The Police" who sang following lines ...
Da Police wrote:Stats kill everybody. Stats kill everyone.
... or something like this.

Well, I thought it was all about having fun in good company on Sunday evenings!? Sometimes the greedy beast eventually takes over and all the fun is simply gone ...

*sigh*

YAFUOW*

Gen "The unsuspicious stats padder" osse :lol:

* Yet Another Fucked Up Online War - Oh, c'mon! I was just kidding ...
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:25 am

Nephris wrote:Thx. I suppose it got moved a few coordinates, when I corrected the statics on the airfield.
Will moved it for next one, sry. Do u need any more of those antennas?
OK had wondered if it had een destroyed and rebuilt there.
TBH theyre not much help with the red AC (Il2s and fighters) and is usually easy to find position from map features on summer map, and if you really want to do the trig you can work out your position from headings to red and blue beacons