Your FI name, why?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Your FI name, why?

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Wed May 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Gents, for some reason I got to ruminating about our FI names and why we chose them, let me start with mine, Ardmore, well for two reasons, one, its where my Dad came from in Derry and secondly in Gaelic it means "great height", which is rather apt I thought. Anyone want to enlighten everyone about theirs?

Vin
Last edited by :FI:Bluebell on Wed May 22, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: Your FI name, why?

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed May 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Vin!

Great idea!

The reason I picked Falcon is because falcon is derived from the Latin word for "sickle," as their wings are vaguely shaped like sickles and sickle comes from the Italian segolo or sek-"cut" or "pie" which reminded me of the magpie, a bird who has a habit of collecting miscellaneous objects. Well, obviously, the first miscellaneous object that flashed in my mind was Jimmy Faulkner and Faulkner sounds like falcon and falcon is derived from the Latin word for "sickle," as their wings are vaguely shaped like sickles and sickle comes from the Italian segolo or sek-"cut" or "pie" which reminded me of the magpie, a bird who has a habit of collecting miscellaneous objects. Well, obviously ...

erm ...

what was the question?

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Wolfhound
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 am

Wolfhound
well,here's one thing that denotes irishness,sometimes used for war, home protection ,now with all of the aggression completely bred out of them,gentle and kind.plus i have one 'Gwen'

The dog of Aughrim
(battle of aughrim 12th july 1691)

The day is ours my gallant men
Cried but vain St.Ruth
We've won a deathless victory
For liberty and truth
We'll wrest the land from Williams grasp
Tho' we're but one to three
we'll make his crew remember long
The pass of Urrachree
That though with myriad of cannon
They poured their fierce attack
Still with valour and the naked sword
thrice have we flung them back
They're beaten boy's they're beaten
Still unsheathe your swords again
And on them live an advance
And sweep them from the plain
Like thunderbolt upon the foes
The Irish column sped
Athlone's deep stain to wash away
st. Ruth was at their head
And onward rolls that wave of death
but, god, what means that cry?
St Ruth the brave sits on his charger
headless ' neath the sky
Oh where's the gallant sarsfield now
Is victory defeat
Oh God in mercy strike us dead!
T'were better than retreat

Oh where is limerick's hero bold
The chiefless soldiers cry
And scorning flight the wait the dawn
To give them light to die

When Saxon's sons the scene of death
And robbery had fled
An Irish Wolfhound sought its lord
Mid heaps of pilfered dead
And strove with more than human love
to rob death of its prize
Then moaned a dirge above his head
And kissed his lips and eyes
When autumn pencilled and summers bloomed
In tints of Gold and red
And winter over hill and dale
A ghostly mantle spread
The weird wind wailed across the moor
And moaned adown the dell
Yet guarded well that noble dog
His master where he fell
Spring timidly was glancing down
upon the corpse-strewn plain
Where seven months long sentinel
The faithful down had lain
When carelessly across the moor
An English soldier trod
And paused beneath the only bones
Remaining on the sod

Up sprang the faithful wolf dog
He knew his foe was near
And feared the foe would desecrate
he bones he loved so dear
Fierce and defiant there he stood
The soldier seized with dread
Took aim and fired, the noble dog
Fell on his master dead
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014

:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Thu May 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Vin, man of great height! ^:)

This is what keeps you tinkeri... erm busy these days, in' it? Anyhow, it's good to see you, Dec and Stu back alive ... ;)

Well, speaking of my nickname "Genosse" all I can say it means comrade as you might or might not know. I've picked this name after I've started going online and using the IRC (Internet Relay Chat).

Since after the downfall of the Soviet Empire the word "Genosse" was kind of burnt here in Germany. Actually the German Socialdemocrats still use it inside their party although they moved from the political left spectrum in the 1970s to the right one nowadays. As some kind of reminiscence of the decade I was born in ('70s) I decided to use this nickname in order to honour the social developments (West-) Germany experienced in these times ...

Maybe sometimes these times of social development will return ... ? MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :badgrin: :lol: :roll: :oops:
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu May 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Not much to say about mine.

My name is Neil Pearse and my wife's pet name for me is Nelly P, which became Nellip when I was looking for an online call sign. Boring huh? :lol:

Slightly more interesting is my avatar picture, which is of my namesake Padraig Pearse who was one of the leaders of the 1916 Easter uprising.
Olegs stalker

:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Fri May 24, 2013 5:26 pm

It is a nonsense name - made up and meaningless with no real source. ... seems to be standing the test of time though and it is a name I use on the internet a lot as it saves having to think up of a new username for every website I visit.

A bit like me ;)

G
I fear no beer

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat May 25, 2013 2:31 am

Ok, this is obviously a serious post, so I'll give a serious answer ...

a-hem

I picked my name cuz I am an aircraft mechanic and I am very proud of maintaining and repairing my company's helicopters.

music ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... uCDr4&NR=1

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sat May 25, 2013 9:57 am

Good idea Vin ;)

So in my case it was due to two factors. First - My first name starts with the letters Mac and last name with Ka. You can easily change the K into C so it goes Macca. Also I'm a big fan of Paul McCartney, so it fits ;)
ImageImageImage
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Mon May 27, 2013 6:20 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Ok, this is obviously a serious post, so I'll give a serious answer ...

a-hem

I picked my name cuz I am an aircraft mechanic and I am very proud of maintaining and repairing my company's helicopters.

music ...
Obviously yes... incredibly serious... you can't copy/nor answer as if you were Dan.

now give us the REAL reason....

....queue drum rolls....

G
I fear no beer

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:46 pm

... now give us the REAL reason ...
Well, Gurb, you caught me.

You're right. This is a good question, so ...

I picked my name cuz I like cats

and I enjoy gardening

and cats

and I have a lovely wife

and cats

and aviation is fun

and cats ...

hey Carole! :wink2:

:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 am

Interesting topic Ardmore, glad you started it - I'm curious about the rest of yours too!
Mine? Well, it's the result of being blessed with absolutely zero imagination when it comes to nicknames/usernames, AND occasionally poor memory.
When I chose it, I was very new to the online gaming community, and felt like it. In US Air Force vernacular, the generic reference for the brand new, "still wet behind the ears" wingman who needs constant looking after, and is just trying to stay with lead and bring themselves home in one piece, is "Blue 4." (Blue = short for "blue force" and obviously this is #4 in the flight. All enemies are generically called "red force.")
So, my FI name would be Blue 4... if I hadn't remembered it wrong & picked the other wingman in the flight. :roll:
Boring, yup, but true.

Now would be the time to mention that I'm very open to changing my FI name, if ANY of you have a decent suggestion I like. :D

OK, who's next?
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:17 pm

I never had a cool nickname growing up, so the pressure was on to create my own phenomenal FI name. My last name is Ganote, which is a hideous name, but I'm stuck with it. I listen to sports talk a lot and one of the guys on the radio show was a former Atlanta Falcon player, Jeff Van Note, and they called him "Noter" on the show. So I started thinking, Ganote... Van Note, they sound quite similar. So I stole his nickname and took it as my own (oh the shame). For some reason it stuck and like Gurberly I try to use it whenever I create a new account on a web page. Oddly enough it's taken half the time, so I've started to use N0T3R. Fun topic by the way, enjoy the insight into the members. So with this needed insight Stu needs to answer truthfully!
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:24 am

Sneeriously,

my moniker came from a momentary ... ok, chronic dearth of creativity. An old friend of mine built F-16's in Tennessee, I have an aversion to nick-names, it was easy to spell ... and remember, and I couldn't think of anything better.

>sigh<

Fal ... something

:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Now was that so hard, at least you were original enough not to steal it.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:00 am

music ...
Right. At least I now know you really DO care! I LOVE YA, MAN! No, really... :doubt:

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away I think this topic was broached, now poached.

"heloego": from "helo" the aviation vernacular for "helicopter", and "ego" due to my alleged attitude. (That would be "alleged", as nothing's been proven yet. :) )

I had considered using "Chopper", after considerable time ruminating about it (about 10 seconds) I had to vote "No fecking way! It just sooooo...y'know, Harley Davidson-y. :lol: And it's a lot harder for the newbies to pronounce. :)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x