New HE campaign skins

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue May 29, 2007 7:36 pm

McBiggles and Noter (right?) will get their checkers on the nose if they want and soda gets the checkered arse.
You know it, plus now we can add our nose art 'cause we won't have those stupid squad markings on the whole side of the plane...It looks fantastic Falcon, very nice.

Now that we have teams and a side I'll get to work on 'em (39 and VIII). Should my Mk VIII still be desert, because right now it still is, and with US markings?

My Axis FI squad is ready if that's what we're using, still not sure what's going on with those...

Noter
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue May 29, 2007 8:24 pm

Tac went from, "tell me exactly what's going on ...", early in the last design project to, "huh? ... you axin' me?" now, so ... I s'pose we can just go with what we want.

I fink:

- either a Brit or US P-40 will be great. Let us know if you need any info in your search Jake,

- a US Spit would be cool and that it should blend in with the Italian map. Tac and others say that the desert skins would be lousy camo there,

- at first I didn't like the idea, but having the dark FIS insignia for the Axis and the old green one for the Allies sounds good. If we are finalized on which style we want, (Sneaky had a good design too), we should go with it. First guy with a finished insignia wins? >shrug<

- if I have time I may make Allied AND Axis skins for all HE mates just in case we switch 'round later,

- I need to cut the grass before it rains ...

Falgone

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Tue May 29, 2007 11:21 pm

The allied P40M squadrons in this theatre are some real heavyweights. They include, for the RAF, the 112 Shark squadron and for the USAAF, the Checkertail Clan of the 325th Fighter Group. Lots of aces, and veterans of countless missions over North Africa. Both groups took part in the Sicily invasion in some capacity. The American planes would have the red outline on the stars and bars insignia.

As for the Spitfires, the 308th Fighter Squadron of the 31st Fighter Group of the USAAF, were stationed near to, and on Sicily in July-August 1943 and flew MkVIII Spitfires. They have an amazing history and an outstanding record for the North African theatre. Again the stars and bars would be outlined in red.

All these skins are going to be great additions to any pilots collection.

Can't wait to see the P40M.

Moe
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed May 30, 2007 12:14 am

Excellent info Moe!

Lots of good Google hits w/Checkertail Clan of the 325th Fighter Group

found this wee pic.

Maybe a gold/green or something checker on the P-40 tail?

~~~

Most of the US Spits I found were still stone/brown into '43. Here's a link to a typical profile ...

http://worldatwar.net/chandelle/v4/v4n1-2/gozo.html

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

40 Sqn SAAf mklX CW - Italy

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed May 30, 2007 2:47 am

:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Wed May 30, 2007 6:06 am

That looks almost desert-y Sneaky.... ;)
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed May 30, 2007 9:27 am

SAAF were allegedly equipped with these for Italy
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

...the debate rages...leave them with the desert skin or make 'em green and gray? Historically they should be desert scheme?

Noter
Post Maniac General

Any colour you like

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed May 30, 2007 3:10 pm

Well, it looks like they used any colour they could throw at them!

The Desert Air Force were involved, as were a lot of new units brought in for the invasion , FAA etc. so I suppose it depends largely on where the unit came from. They were certainly staging attacks from N.Africa and Malta. The Allies quickly established air superiority, "If you see an aircraft it's Allied." was the commonly repeated phrase among Axis ground forces. About the only Luftwaffe unit I've come across is the Herman Goering Panzer Division!

If we're that concerned about historical accuracy the Axis (LW) side should be flying on the Stalingrad or Berlin map, while the Allies fly Italy :badgrin:

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Wed May 30, 2007 3:20 pm

That's all well and good but, what're the SAAF?
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed May 30, 2007 3:52 pm

One solution to the debate ...

Sneaky and Noter,

You are now, by Tac's proclaimation, members of the evil horde. Give the Allied ac you do a good Italy map camo and we of the righteous forces of Dog will promise not to paint your 109's and 190's bright pink, yellow and white with target reticles all over them.

Snaphoo and Falcon

;)

SAAF: South African AF

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed May 30, 2007 4:17 pm

shouldn't that be " Seth Effrican Eyirr Ferssse" ?
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed May 30, 2007 7:30 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:One solution to the debate ...

Sneaky and Noter,

You are now, by Tac's proclaimation, members of the evil horde. Give the Allied ac you do a good Italy map camo and we of the righteous forces of Dog will promise not to paint your 109's and 190's bright pink, yellow and white with target reticles all over them.

Snaphoo and Falcon

;)

SAAF: South African AF
Except for McBiggles. His plane gets special attention. :badgrin:
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed May 30, 2007 8:50 pm

Moe,

This is a kinna cool pic.

Would you rather this or the knife thing for nose art?

~~~

Sneaky,

Are the Stuckas ready for numbering and detailing?

~~~

Who's doing the 111?

~~~

Tac,

About how long 'til we move to Italy?

~~~

Noter or Sneaky,

Is the new FIS "dark side" insignia ready to send?

Falcon

:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Wed May 30, 2007 10:47 pm

A gold/green checker would look great on the P40, imho.

The Spitfire Mk Vs of the 31st FG seemed (from the sources I have seen) to carry the Operation Torch roundels (with the yellow outline) through to the end of 43 and possibly to their end of service date in March 44. The Spitfire Mk VIIIs and IXs probably had the red outline as they were introduced to the group in Apr-Jun 1943. They would have changed to the non-outlined stars and bars in 1944.

That pic is cool Falcon and would make an excellent noseart. I'm kinda attached to the knife noseart (thanks Noter! ^:) ) and wouldn't want to make any extra work for you skinners.

Moe