WIP and finished product pics here

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

WIP and finished product pics here

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:20 am

Yet ANOTHER thread.

How 'bout we put serious WIP, almost finished and uberly finished squadron skin pics in here?

I noticed there was confusion about where to put your stuff.

F
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Ready 2 skins, for ULTIMATE JUDGEMENT!

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:05 am

Both mostly finished, and though it's not in the examples, callsigns will be added upon request...

Hellcat (Shallelagh optional)

Now with the (optional) new and improved FI tailhook!

SBD-3/5 (pictured is the -5, minor changes for the -3, but basically it's the same skin.)

Questions? Complaints? Possible changes? Let me know...
Last edited by :FI:Snaphoo on Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:43 am

La7 nearly completed

Comments?

Suggestions?

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:40 pm

Now dat is wat I call bloody good skins! The weathering is perfect! Now could you talented cats make me one for the upcoming session? :)
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:35 pm

All in due time, Altar.... All in due time... Not sure we'll be ready for the upcomming session, but we'll definitely be putting these out as quick as our fingers will let us...
You've got red on you.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:48 pm

Don't you have to be an official member to have an official skin?

(just asking)
Forum Junky

Ooficial?? Maybe...

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:57 pm

Well Sneaky, I think you have to be a member to have an FI number, but seeing as how you can get all sorts of generic FI skins on the download page, I don't see why Altar couldn't get a "non-numbered" skin so he can match all the other planes in the server... :D

P.S. Niiiiiiice LA-7 Commrade Falkon :D
You've got red on you.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:10 pm

WIP

The P-51b and c mark have several different details from the D mark so ...

there should be three P-51 sub-folders.

I think I'll do the "D" in FIS Metal and the "B"/"C" marks in IreGreen.

We can always add the metal to the others ... I s'pose.

F

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:20 pm

I like the B's and C's in Ire Green... They look sharp...
You've got red on you.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:21 pm

The P-51D toned down and dirtied up a bit,

ready to go.

Opinions?

Changes?

Whatevers?

Falcon

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:33 am

... and the Yak 9

Do all Yak 9's use this skin?

I'm sure there are small differences, but for practicality, we probably could use this.

F

PS: I'm putting the underwing numbers either just inside, or more rarely just outboard of the stripes. If I were to put the number on the stripes, I would need to put a mask layer under the number to hide the stripes below when I decreased the opacity of the numbers. It saves a layer and it saves about five minutes work or less.

Tell me what you'd like.

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:02 am

P-47 FISmetal, ready to roll

That's the last of my first four ac picks.

When you guys are ready for some more,

let me know.

(in the other pick-a-plane thread)

F

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:38 am

2 more mostly done and ready to go

P-40B/C/Hawk-81a

And 2 different P-39's

Snow:

Regular:

Comments? Changes?
You've got red on you.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:06 am

Great stuff!

A comment ...

Your work has gone from good to uber-hunky-dory in two days.

This design might need some definition around the wing/fuselage transition area though. It might just be the detail you lose when you convert the pic to a .gif and then shrink it, but you may need some more ... clarity? around the wing roots to delineate wing from fuselage. Now, it kinna looks like a smooth green blur.

Maybe some sllliiightly bolder lines at the root, some highlights or maybe a lighter or darker set of fairing panels?

You see what I'm sayin'?

You didn't put stripes under the wing. Is that a search for another iteration or something particular for the US planes?

Either way it looks good. I kept the stripes on the green ac for better recognition. The silver metal ones I figured didn't need it.

Good dirt layers on the -39 and you are doing a better job than I with the snow thingie.

This is gonna look so cool if we ever live long enough to enjoy it.

F
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:21 am

:FI:Falcon wrote:Great stuff!

A comment ...

Your work has gone from good to uber-hunky-dory in two days.
Many thanks, I wouldn't be any where near hunky-dory without your help.

This design might need some definition around the wing/fuselage transition area though. It might just be the detail you lose when you convert the pick to a .jpg and then shrink it, but you may need some more ... clarity? around the wing roots to deliniate wing from fuselage. Now, it kinna looks like a green blob.

Maybe some sllliiightly bolder lines at the root or maybe a lighter or darker set of fairing panels?

You see what I'm sayin'?
Not exactically.... I mean, I think I understand what you're saying. "I dun gradiated the 6th grade and all..." But I have no idea how to accomplish what you're talking about.
You didn't put stripes under the wing. Is that a search for another iteration or something particular for the US planes?

Either way it looks good. I kept the stripes on the green ac for better recognition. The silver metal ones I figured didn't need it.
No that wasn't anything more than me putting roundels where the AVG China roundels were and then thinking it looked cool after. "Flying Sheep" rather than tigers. Note the lack of fuselage roundels. I'll try out some stripey like things tomorrow, for good measure. I completely forgot about that part, as well as some fuselage roundels. I should, and will, change it. And thanks again, from you that is quite a compliment.

Good dirt layers on the -39 and you are doiung a better job than I with the snow thingie.
Thanks! I got an inspiration for the "drips" down the front of the wing. Glad to hear you like it, I was concerned it wouldn't look quite right, I just imagined that whitewash is a sort of watered down white paint, and that would make it sloppy, and probably not dry very thick, or even...
This is gonna look so cool if we ever live long enough to enjoy it.
Yep! I can't wait to see a trk/Movie/pictures of the squadron on the move!

Snaph.

P.S. Here. I got a great big picture of the area I think you're talking about. Please point out what you're talking about and how I might fix it...
You've got red on you.