I moving to Canada

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Alex
Professional Boardie

I moving to Canada

Post by :FI:Alex » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi people,
My wife, children and I moving to Canada in Feb-March or April. Actually we have been in immigration process and the Canadian Embassy gave us Chrismas gift - they called us 29 Dec 2009 and said that we can send them our passwords for visas.
We are very happy \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
But also we have million questions :-k because we going to absolute other system.
One of these millions questions:
I thinking to bring to there my computer because I like it and I can't sell it effectively here but I not sure that it will work in Canada I mean about power supply.
I took a picture, can you see it and anwer is my power supply fit for Canadian electricity (voltage etc)?
Image Skype: alexander.deyneko
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: I moving to Canada

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:51 pm

I'll let a techy answer your power question, but there are OTHER MORE IMPORTANT things to know about Canada first Alex.

~~~

POUTINE is FRENCH FRIES with GRAVY & CHEESE from QUEBEC where they speak GERMAN!

SUMMER in CANADA is when it stops snowing and there it's called JULY!

Canadian bacon is called BACK BACON because it's BACON sent BACK from AMERICAN factories because it LOOKS FUNNY!

CANADA is entirely made of SNOW and ROAD SAND!

There is a SECRET STRIP MINE in NEW BRUNSWICK that was dug to MINE FISH! When it failed, the GOVERNMENT in ONTARIO pretended that it was a city named MONCTON! Amazingly, MOST CANADIANS believe that this "city" named "Moncton" actually exists!

Contrary to popular American belief, today nearly 3 out of 10 Canadian households have WORKING TOILETS!

The ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTIES are neither ROYAL nor CANADIAN nor MOUNTED ON A PLAQUE! They are actually SMALL LITHUANIAN APES trained to sniff out DRUG SMUGGLERS! They wear the BRIGHT RED UNIFORMS to FOOL DRUG SMUGGLERS into thinking that they are only EMBARASSED!

The worst drug in CANADA is the dreaded POUTINE!

MOUNTIES have BIG HATS because there's a BOTTLE OF MOLSONS in there!

It is ILLEGAL to own a GUN in Canada! However, you are REQUIRED to own a SNOWMOBILE and a HAT WITH WOOLY EARFLAPS under PAIN of DEATH!

CANADIAN MASS MURDERERS usually target ELK!

CANADIANS don't have a PRESIDENT! They have a "PRIME RIB"!

In CANADA, the capitol is called "Ottawa" because "Washington DC" was already taken!

August Ninth, 1978, was the last time a Canadian got naked, EVEN IN THE SHOWER!

There's a city in SASKATCHEWAN named MOOSE JAW! Do you believe that shit? What's up with that anyway??

When in Montreal, make friends by asking every passerby "Hey, Frenchy, where's the Eiffel Tower?"

When dried in the sun, POUTINE makes a great DRIVEWAY SEALANT PATCH!

CANADIAN "TELLY" ("TV" to AMERICANS) contains 24 hours of programming without ANY ACTUAL ENTERTAINMENT!

It is ILLEGAL in Canada to use the letter "O" without putting a "U" after it! (As in "Colour" or "Poutine" or "Filthy Whoure")

If you want to get the full attention of a waiter in MONTREAL, it's customary to speak in their native GERMAN and yell "Hey garcon whose tete is made of MERDE!" and throw a FORK at him. DO NOT THROW A SPOON--this is considered an insult!

Always remind Canadians that "If it weren't for AMERICA you'd all be speaking RUSSIAN!" even if it's not technically true or even insane.

If a Canadian complains about AMERICA, scream "Margaret Trudeau was a SLUT!" and smile triumphantly at his baffled silence.

The WOODCHUCK is a TERRESTRIAL DAY-ACTIVE ANIMAL, and a denizen of SNOWY CLIMES!

"French Toast" is neither FRENCH nor TOAST nor involves Canada in ANY WAY!

EVERY HOCKEY FAN in Canada is TOTALLY GAY! If you don't believe me, walk up to one after his TEAM HAS LOST THE GAME and HE'S DRUNK, and say "I hear you and the Leafs are SO TOTALLY GAY!" If he beats you to a BLOODY PULP, that just PROVES IT!

CANADIANS have a GOVERNMENT-SPONSORED HEALTH CARE PLAN that WORKS!

The average American "Happy Meal" could feed a Canadian family of nine for a MONTH!

In Canada, GERBILS are called CARIBOU!

TORONTO is really in MICHIGAN!

What an AMERICAN calls a "TREE" a CANADIAN calls a "TREE"! WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!?!

In an average month, a CANADIAN makes TEN TIMES what the average AMERICAN makes! However, they are paid in CANADIAN BEAVER PELTS, so in real terms they actually make LESS than their own BEAVERS do!

Every Canadian is given a radioactive MAPLE LEAF TATTOO right on their FOREHEAD so that the EVIL OVERLORDS in ONTARIO can TRACK them! But it's only visible if you're from ONTARIO!

If you go ANYWHERE in the WORLD and say "I'm from CANADA" instead of "I'm from AMERICA" you're 900% less likely to be KILLED!

Every fact AMERICANS know about CANADA was learned on the back of CEREAL BOXES! ALL American CEREAL BOXES are REQUIRED to include facts about CANADA! So if a CANADIAN asks you "What do you know about CANADA?" it is an acceptable response to say "You contain 190mg of SODIUM!"

AMERICANS should never go to CANADA during a FULL MOON, as 57% of the population are LYCANTHROPES!

In QUEBEC, where they speak GERMAN, "lycanthropes" are called "Loup Garoooooooooo!!" after the howling noise made by WOLFMEN! (or, as the Germans say, "L'Homme du Frommage")

In the wind-swept Atlantic Territories of the Atlantic, the dreaded lycanthropes are not wolves but the vicious FISH-MEN of NEWFOUNDLAND. In the cold light of the full moon, they turn into VICIOUS FISH, which just sort of flop around on the pier & die.

The province named NEWFOUNDLAND is named NEWFOUNDLAND because Canada LOST IT in the 1960s then found it again only a few months ago. Before that it was called LAND.

Know what's great fun? (or as the "Quebecois" or "German Canadiennes" say, "Le Grand Goof") Drop both a CANADIAN quarter and an AMERICAN quarter in traffic and see which one the locals will chase!

August 24th is called USA DAY in CANADA! On that day, all the local laws are replaced with AMERICAN LAWS! It is a joyous time when the streets run RED with BLOOD! Best to schedule your vacation visit for another day.

If you go to WINNEPEG, ask people if they know a GUY NAMED "CHUCK"! He owes me money.

CANADIANS are religious and worship CRUSTACIA the LOBSTER GOD!

Amazing as it sounds, CANADIANS DO NOT EAT THEIR YOUNG!!

CANADIANS eat AMERICAN YOUNG! Keep your children on a leash!

I saw a MONKEY once! It was SO KEWL!

It is called POUTINE because when they called it BROWN BLOBBY PILE no one would EAT IT!

NIAGARA FALLS IS A LIE! It's really a HUGE CANADIAN FAUCET.

NO CANADIAN ALIVE will dare tell you the secret of why the CANADIAN NICKEL has the QUEEN on one side and a BEAVER on the other!

Most CANADIANS are FRIENDLY and PLEASANT to SPEAK WITH.

CANADA is NOT part of AMERICA, it is part of NORTH AMERICA, which, like SOUTH AMERICA, means WE OWN IT ANYWAY!

Little know fact: NAFTA requires all CANADIANS to emigrate to GREENLAND in 2002 so AMERICA can bring in MEXICANS THAT WORK CHEAPER! So GET PACKIN', CANADA!!
And buy yourself a FLANNEL SOMBRERO, Pedro!

Oh, Canada!

~~~

Sorry, I can find better stuff about Canada, but it's early and I need to clean my guns first.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Stu, it's outdated...

;)
ImageImageImage
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Congratulations, Alex!
I wish I could go there too.
Canada is great. I like the landscape.
I have a friend from Ireland working and living in West Canada, near Vancouver.
If you have special questions, let me know and I can maybe ask her in hope she has some useful tipps.

I hope you invite us for a moving party, when you are ready :D

To answer your question:
Like the USA, residential Canada uses 110 volt electrical systems at 60 hertz.
Eitther ther is a swith on the power supply unit that you have to switch to 110 volts, or you can use it instantly.
Theres no need to worry about overpower damage.

But you might buy a plug adapter.
The plugs used in Canada are:

Here I have another interesting, and hopefully useful link for you, Alex:

Answers to your intercultural questions from a Canadian and a local point of view :)

http://www.intercultures.ca/cil-cai/ove ... asp?iso=ca

It's from the Centre for Intercultural Learning of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade of Canada.

It shows a good overview over country facts and cultural information about Canada.
Useful insight of how it works in Canada with:
Conversations, Communication Styles, Display of Emotion, Dress, Punctuality & Formality, Conflicts in the Workplace,
Religion, Class, Ethnicity, & Gender, Relationship-building and so on.

I hope you can use it. :)

Best of luck for you and keep us updated. :)
Don't hesitate to ask us if you need some information or tipps.
Image ImageImage
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:05 am

Alex,
First, let me congratulate you and your family! :D

Second, ignore Falcon. He's really a cheap Mexican looking for work. ;)

Third, your PSU is a Dual-Voltage unit certified for use in the USA or Canada, so you're a step ahaed of the competition. Simply move the switch on the back to "115v", obtain a plug adapter and use it.

Where in Canada will you move?
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Professional Boardie

Post by :FI:Alex » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi All,
thanks a lot for congratulations ^:)
You know that it is not just moving, my family start new page in our live :)
:FI:Airway wrote:Eitther ther is a swith on the power supply unit that you have to switch to 110 volts, or you can use it instantly.
:FI:Heloego wrote:your PSU is a Dual-Voltage unit certified for use in the USA or Canada, so you're a step ahaed of the competition. Simply move the switch on the back to "115v", obtain a plug adapter and use it.
Thank you - I didn't sure that my comp will work in Canada without changing the power suply. Of course I not sure need I bring it there or not... are there more advantages or disadvantages. But in general our tactics for first time there - save money as much as possible :wink:
:FI:Heloego wrote:Where in Canada will you move?
We will landing in Toronto (it is necessary) but in some time (from couple days to month) we'll move to Montreal (Quebecous). There we will study French :D why not? Frankly speaking we already started and know how to say "Hi, How are you, How much it cost" - So I glad that we have studied 50% French :D
But wihout joking there is a huge advantages for my children especiall in the future.
:FI:Airway wrote:I hope you invite us for a moving party, when you are ready
Why not? You can visit us, we're very hospitalitable. I'm member of the Hospitality club, this is my profile: http://secure.hospitalityclub.org/hc/tr ... id=deineko This organizaton really works. By the way two girls from Germany will visit us here before our departure, they are tracking on way of their granfathers. Their grandfathers fought in Tuapse region diring WW2 (101 Jäger division the regiment 229th ).
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:04 pm

Thank's Alex.

I will check that out later.
Looks great !
I already found my hometown:

http://secure.hospitalityclub.org/hc/hc ... ?city=2756

I was surprised to see that there are 1064 Hospitality Club members in my hometown and I havent heard about it yet.

But what I know is, a simuilar idea and movement, called Couchsurfing.
It is pretty much the same like the Hospitality Club, but as I see, they have four times the members than the Hospitability Club.
Check here: http://www.couchsurfing.org/

Greetings,
Airway
Image ImageImage
Professional Boardie

Post by :FI:Alex » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:36 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:but there are OTHER MORE IMPORTANT things to know about Canada
Hi Stu,
My wife has read your message. I saw her eyes become more and more biger during the reading process. I tried to stop her but it was late.... There was terrible and horror on her face. :shock: At your words about Canadian's faucet she was totaly scared. At present time she has sleep disorder.

I need rhehabilitate her urgently! Do you have any positives thoughts about Canada?
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:55 pm

Hey Alex, I BET she hasn't seen this then yet, has she?

Image ImageImage
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Maybe this?

I am a Lumberjack I am OK...

ImageImageImage
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Oh Alex, there are many good things about Canada. There is beautiful ... architecture there.

The CN Tower in Toronto is lovely.

Stu

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:17 pm

Alex

I spent seven months in Canada with the Army there and I have never met a nicer, Friendlier bunch of people in the World.

You your wife and kids are going to love it mate. Congrats

Wardog ^:) :beer: :beer: :beer:
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Mm lots od trees and rocks and snow... and more rocks and snow...and some trees...and rocks...and some more snow

even more trees and rocks and more rocks and snow

and did I mention trees and rocks and snow?

Well that is what Nova Scotia felt like to me.

And Nova Scotia is the warm bit huddled down by the USA

Never did figure out why the US has a 115v system rather than 240v.... is it something to do with they need all the other voltage for electric chairs ;)

G
I fear no beer

The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Love the two towers...
ImageImageImage
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Ditto on the towers and congrats on the move...

Spent plenty of time in Canada growing up, we'd cross the river into Windsor all the time. You see here in the states the drinking age is 21, in Canada it's 19, and no passport was needed, just drive across the border and drive back. Good times. Sorry, probably not appropriate stories, but damn it was fun.

It is really nice, very clean compared to the US.

Good luck,