The Orange Box

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:59 pm

Anyone play this game on an NVidia card? HL2 was geared for ATI cards and my X800 Pro ran it beautifully. I'm switching over to an NVidia card and was wondering if there were any marked differences to expect.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:33 pm

I've only ever used an NVidia card with HL2, so I don't know the differences, if there are any marked differences at all... I've always been amazed at the beauty of the game even in it's "dire" circumstances.

I'm sure there are some differences, as HL2 is "best viewed" on ATI per Valve, but I am not much help in what they might be...
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:00 pm

Although I have read some great reviews from the Xbox 360 community, still would enjoy hearing your thoughts on this package Snaphoo.

TS!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:52 pm

Initial thoughts:

WOW! This is cool! :D

The package comes with many, many games for the money. HL2 (didn't need, but I got an extra copy), the first and second episodes in the HL2 story, Team Fortress 2, Portals and a few other quirky extras, as well as the developers package (at least for the PC).

HL2 - I finished HL2 a while back, but it's a beautiful game and would recommend anyone play it. Storyline is amazing and the puzzles in game are great.

I just started HL2 - Episode 1 and so far it's more of the same immersive feel. This game is one of few games that I actually feel involved in the story. The in-game physics don't feel forced, they are fairly realistic to the eye. (or to my untrained eye, at least). I'll start episode 2 after I get through Episode 1.

Team fortress 2 is simply amazing. The maps are original and well balanced. The units in the game look like they are something out of Pixar, they are that good looking. Overall a fun FPS PvP style game with a few modes (CTF, death match, etc). I'm sure mods are to follow, as they usually are.

Overall, I think this package is well worth the money, in my opinion. I'm just curious if PC players will be able to play the 360 players... :badgrin:
You've got red on you.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:05 pm

Nope. For it has been written- Thou shalt not touch thy unclean console and then thy righteous PC. For it shall be like salt to a wound, or like Falcon unto a barber's scissors. For thine fingers are created deftly for skills on a PC for FPS, whilst finger mashing is for couch spuds playing HALO. For Heavan and Earth shalt part ways and the righteous sword of division shalt render apart thine bones and flesh. So, get thee behind me 360, for the PC shall inherit the Earth.

Altar-Everybody say Amen!-Boy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:01 pm

:FI:AltarBoy wrote:Nope. For it has been written- Thou shalt not touch thy unclean console and then thy righteous PC. For it shall be like salt to a wound, or like Falcon unto a barber's scissors. For thine fingers are created deftly for skills on a PC for FPS, whilst finger mashing is for couch spuds playing HALO. For Heavan and Earth shalt part ways and the righteous sword of division shalt render apart thine bones and flesh. So, get thee behind me 360, for the PC shall inherit the Earth.

Altar-Everybody say Amen!-Boy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Riiiiiiiiiiiight...

So, anyway... I just wanted to see if there was a considerable reflex difference...
You've got red on you.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Anyone tried...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:53 pm

...Enemy Territory...Quake Wars?

Steam keeps allowing for a demo DL, but all I ever get is the trailer? Looks promising, though...

I keep Googling for "something different", but all I ever get is ":FI:Falcon" ;)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:06 pm

The only game (I am aware of) that has placed the Xbox 360 community against their PC counterparts has been Shadowrun. I expect more to follow.

Having played both the PC and 360 (previously Xbox 1, Playstation 1, Sega Genesis, and Intellivision) I would think some assistance in the game design is in order. Compared to a nice laser mouse, the tracking is much slower and far less precise on the console. While I do enjoy the general feel of the console controller, playing games like Call of Duty takes some getting use to compared to the PC days in the :FI: Platoon.

I will be picking this title (or titles I guess) up. Christmas is not too far. Might hold off until then, though November looks boring so. ;) And yes Half-Life is completely new to me so it should be really fun!

---

Falcon = "completely different" Gottcha! :shock:

Regards,
TS!