Bioshock?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Bioshock?

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:29 pm

Anyone pick this game up? If you like shooters you should get it ASAP. Just started this bad boy yesterday and am loving every minute of it. Might be GOTY material.
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:16 pm

the graphics look nice. might pick this one up too.
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:26 pm

How long is the gameplay?I've heard it rocks;)
ImageImageImage
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:36 pm

Yep, Bioshock is great. Played it a bit on my pal's Alienware PC. The graphics and lighting effects blows pieces out of any game I've played so far. The gameplay reminds me a bit of The Chronicles of Riddick.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:23 am

:FI:Macca wrote:How long is the gameplay?I've heard it rocks;)
Not sure there, I am about 4hrs into it now with what seems like a long way to go. The storyline rocks and the game is just creepy as can be.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:02 pm

Seems to be making a stir within the Xbox 360 community as well. Rated higher than the successful Gears of War.

The parent in me sees its rated M. Based on your actual game play experience how strong is the language with regard to the words themselves and how repetitious are they? Does it have a language filter like Gears did? Just curious as my son would no doubt like to play it if I picked it up.

I also heard it has some technical issues. In particular something about image clipping for widescreen displays. Do you have a widescreen mate? Maybe this problem is just related to the console(s). Not sure.

---

Having never played Half-Life (yes I was THAT one guy ;) ), have my sights set on The Orange Box (Xbox 360), that will contain HL2, HL2 Episodes 1 & 2, a neat little puzzle game called Portal, and an interesting online class-based shooter you got to check out called Team Fortress.

http://www.steampowered.com/

TS!
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:08 pm

The game looks beautiful. But I had many problems getting through the Ravenholm section of HL2, and this just looks like one big (beautiful) game of Ravenholm. :D

I may get it and play it only during the daytime... See if that works... With the blinds open... Perhaps outside?

I would like to get a 360 eventually but right now the price, while lower than a PS3 and even it's original price, is still a bit prohibitive...

The orange box sounds really cool though... :D
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:50 pm

Come on Snap "Just Jump In." ;)

That's from Microsoft's lame TV advertising when it was released.

Actually I find console gaming has come a long way. Wait a minute I wonder if this will open up a heated debate? Gee I hope so. :D

Anyway for $349.99 (Pro/Premium) you get a machine with 3 cores and a decent graphics engine. It was released in late 2005 and still is comparable to most modern PCs (of course you can now get PCs that are more powerful). It certainly has more power than my aging PC. Given that a good graphic card costs more than the entire Xbox 360 not a bad purchase (if you like console gaming).

While not necessary, if one already has a HDTV with surround sound it makes for a great gaming experience on the sofa! With it's online connectivity (though readily I admit it’s a cash cow for publishers), you have access to the occasional necessary patch and additional content. Plus you have VOIP to other gamers in and outside of gameplay.

Anyway if one likes first person shooters, RPGs, racing, and sports console gaming is pretty cool. There's a growing number of wired and wireless hardware for the thing. I have the HDDVD player and camera. My daughter has a floor pad for her dance game. She now wants a racing wheel/pedals. There's a small keyboard coming. I wonder if that will open up strategy gaming? :-k I think Strangelove mentioned a while back his enjoyment of Guitar Hero which uses a little plastic guitar thingy. ;)

I guess my point is that the consoles are becoming very versatile. For anyone looking to enjoy some of the latest titles, like Bioshock, it certainly a lot cheaper than buying a new PC, especially if you already have invested in a HD setup. I have heard for a number of games that the presentation on the Xbox 360 is very similar to the PC (very high-end PC mind you).

And no Bill Gates didn't play me to post this. Strange, I suddenly feel all cheap and dirty. :-$

Tact - "Microsoft fanboy?" - S!
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:42 am

this game rules. the graphics are just amazing
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:51 pm

Actually I find console gaming has come a long way. Wait a minute I wonder if this will open up a heated debate? Gee I hope so. Very Happy
Consoles suck dude.
...and beware of the RED RING OF DEATH on the 360 (a sign that the console is giving up the ghost).

Gimmie a PC, a cold rainy night, a hot cup of tea or coffee and a pack of cigarettes and I'm in heaven. 8)

AB just mowed down a bunch of console-loving girly fanboys
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!