Hello

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
loosecannon

Hello

Post by loosecannon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Hey guys. My name is Dan Shea. I am new in town. I just applied to join the FI, but I do have to admit that I am not ready to fly just yet. I have a full-time job, am going to school, and I am starting the process of getting my pilot's license. So, that means I won't be able to start flying for a couple of months, until I get the hang of my schedule (my pilot's ground school is two nights a week, but ends in early November).

I do have a couple of questions for you guys:

When you guys fly, do you all fly in the same airframe for that mission/fight, or do you pick your own ride on each sortie? Would you care to give me a heads up on your preferred flying etiquette?

This seems like a great group. I look forward to flying with you guys as soon as I can.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi.

It can get a bit crowded trying to fit 16 players in a bomber, not to mention the sheep, so we tend to fly 1 AC each. Occasionally someone will jump in a gunners seat.

There are times when we will fly a TB3 duel; though it hasn't happened recently, but when it does it is a blast.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
loosecannon

Post by loosecannon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. What I meant by flying in the same airframe was, do you all fly the same model of aircraft, or do you pick your own model? For example: 1 person picks a P-38, another 4 pick Spits, 2 more on Mustangs, and so on. Or, does the entire group fly a single model airframe for that mission?
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:22 pm

Howdy! :wink2:

I think generally, one side will (as Sneaky described) jump into the same airframe. At least for the more coordinated activities. For dogfights and the like (which, to my limited knowledge haven't happened in awhile), there's usually a collection of airframes for each side and the choice is the pilot in question.

But I've been mostly inactive for about a month or so... Just trying to get back into the 'pit meself. :D

Welcome. Have fun and see you around..

Snaphoo.
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:51 pm

loos,

We always fly the same plane.

We are a fully historic squadron

and have a nice tasty fish after each mission.

Welcome to the :FI: forums,

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:18 pm

Hiya and welcome. Good luck with the Flight School. I did some of that during ATC training like Principles of Flight and figuring how to do Vectors without the use of calculators. All that and I still can't figure out how to do a 3-point landing with the FI during online play. :lol: I can belly land pretty good though. :lol: Anyway, I hope I'll get the opportunity to fly with you. Hope to get that wireless internet by next Tuesday.

Run Falcon! :badgrin:
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

RE:Ground School

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:27 pm

http://dauntless-soft.com/

If you don't know of this site its worth checking out for Free DL's and other software.
loosecannon

Post by loosecannon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:25 pm

:FI:AltarBoy wrote:Hiya and welcome. Good luck with the Flight School. I did some of that during ATC training like Principles of Flight and figuring how to do Vectors without the use of calculators. All that and I still can't figure out how to do a 3-point landing with the FI during online play. :lol: I can belly land pretty good though. :lol: Anyway, I hope I'll get the opportunity to fly with you. Hope to get that wireless internet by next Tuesday.

Run Falcon! :badgrin:
Thanks for the welcome. As soon as my schedule clears up and becomes more predictable, I am in.
loosecannon

Re: RE:Ground School

Post by loosecannon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:26 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:http://dauntless-soft.com/

If you don't know of this site its worth checking out for Free DL's and other software.
Thanks. That is really helpful. I appreciate that.
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:59 pm

just something for you to consider before you put in the application.

what day/day's would you be flying? FI tend to fly on a sunday so during the week the lobby will be very quiet in terms of FI. there are a few members online but not many.

wouldn't like you to join and find no one flying on your il2 day's ;)

mike
loosecannon

Post by loosecannon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Weekends will be my primary flying days, so all is good on that front. Thanks for the warning.
Uncle_Stranger

Post by Uncle_Stranger » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Hello there!
Don't talk to strangers!
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:54 am

Aye, Sundays are the best day.

Howdy from Texas!
da Padre.
:lol:
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Howdy, M8!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:47 am

Welcome to the boards!

Flying:

Definite every Sunday 11:00am Mountain. Great sessions hosted by various individuals with highly suspicious motives. :)

Almost a certainty, Historical Encounters every Friday evening 7:00pm Mountain. We just finished the Troina, Sicily campaign, and who knows what's next? :D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x