GTR2 anyone?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

GTR2 anyone?

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Fri May 18, 2007 5:32 pm

Having been a racing fan for a good portion of my life, it's a wonder why I didn't do this sooner. But, after a recommendation by one of my mates, I picked up this driving game/sim. It's a decent bit of fun and there seems to be a large community out there for it. Just wondering if anyone has played it, or done any "serious" race sim driving...

Anyhoo, back to yer planes and whatnot...

Sna"still likes flying"phoo
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Fri May 18, 2007 6:09 pm

Forza 2 is what I'm looking forward to and I don't even have an Xbox, but I may go get one just to play the game.

Noter
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Wed May 23, 2007 6:26 am

I am hard-core into race sims. Well, medium-core. I only recently found a decent WWII sim and decent people to fly with. My roots are on the ground!

My favorite is GPL (which is now basically free), then rfactor, and have done a little GTR2, but haven't gotten too into it since everyone else races rfactor (and I hate having to put the CD in).

Why, are you organizing something? I can point you to some good guys for racing :)

-Jack
eye hammer hue jury tarred
:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Wed May 23, 2007 12:43 pm

I love my race sims too. Actually I love pretty much every genre there is.
I've played SCGT, GPL, Geoff Crammond's GP series, Papyrus' Nascar games, Live For Speed, the TOCA series, rFactor, etc.

I've played a bit of GTR2 in a LAN environment and one or two online races. Like a good flight sim, a good race sim requires patience, good equipment and some knowledge of how the environment is interacting with your ride.

Wheel and pedals are essential, TrackIR is optional (the guys are usually coming from your 5 or 7 o'clock ;) ), like IL2 you could jump into a public server and use the stock setup and have fun but probably not win any races. If you want to fight for podiums you'll have to get into changing your setup. A word of warning on the public servers, they have their share of griefers and wreckers, so once you feel comfortable in the car, finding a group with their own private server to race on will give you a more frustration free experience.
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Thu May 24, 2007 3:11 am

I find GPL public servers pretty dang friendly! But I still race privately, generally.

Yeah, I like thinking about the physics of the cars a lot. Setups are really interesting!

-Jack
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu May 24, 2007 3:40 am

No, not really organizing anything so much as seeing who (if anyone) was a race simmer as well... I've always thought about it and now with the TIR and the wheel, it's almost as immersive as flying with the Irish...

I'll still always enjoy flying a tad more, but I am enjoying trying to find my line.

How's Rfactor?? Any good? Does it have TIR support as well? I've looked at that one (and the many, many mods for it) and I'm interested...
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Yeah but not for some time

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu May 24, 2007 10:54 am

Flat - Out

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Thu May 24, 2007 12:28 pm

:FI:Gurkesaft wrote:I find GPL public servers pretty dang friendly! But I still race privately, generally.

Yeah, I like thinking about the physics of the cars a lot. Setups are really interesting!

-Jack
My comment was about the GTR2 public servers which can be a bit like a zoo at times. Haven't had the chance to try a GPL public server but I might do that now thanks to your info. :)
:FI:Snaphoo wrote:How's Rfactor?? Any good? Does it have TIR support as well? I've looked at that one (and the many, many mods for it) and I'm interested...
I haven't used my TrackIR for racing but I'm almost 100% sure that rFactor supports it.
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Fri May 25, 2007 4:12 am

rfactor is nice. It is just a notch less shiny than gtr2 (mainly because of the sun/flare effect I think), but it is totally open for modding, doesn't require a CD, and is extremely good physics-wise. I think the only drawbacks are lack of shift-R (car reset), and in replays you can't hear all the tire scrubbing you should. But the main good thing is the ENORMOUS COMMUNITY. It is also improving.

Still... GPL. :)
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Fri May 25, 2007 4:14 am

Also, for those of you who are interested in sim racing, it's free:

http://jack.sankey.googlepages.com/gpl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to "the fastest sure-fire way to get gpl up and running"

-Jack
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Fri May 25, 2007 4:58 am

Oh, and rfactor and gpl both have trackir support. rfactor is built in, and GPL needs "gplshift".
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Sun May 27, 2007 7:34 am

:FI:Gurkesaft wrote:Also, for those of you who are interested in sim racing, it's free:

http://jack.sankey.googlepages.com/gpl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to "the fastest sure-fire way to get gpl up and running"

-Jack
Thanks Jack

I had tried and failed in the past to get GPL working but this link pointed me in the right direction.

Got the demo working fine and downloaded a few tracks. Get the odd crash (computer that is :lol: ) and one track did not work but enjoying the challenge, thanks again.
Olegs stalker

Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Mon May 28, 2007 2:49 pm

How/when does it crash? What kind of sound card do you have?

One thing that often works (and it's very sound-card dependent) is to go to control panel -> Sounds and Audio devices -> Audio Tab -> Advanced -> Performance, and turn down the hardware acceleration a notch or two.

Many low-end sound cards cause crashes and problems. My solution was to buy an Audigy (NOT SE, or LE or any of those sh***y ones). You can get them cheap on ebay (like <$30 buy it now). If it has a firewire port, I'm pretty sure it's the good kind :)

Hope this helps!

-Jack
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon May 28, 2007 4:05 pm

........................?

The demo wont even load on mine ! !
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Mon May 28, 2007 10:23 pm

GPL 2004 demo or the original? Did you try the other exe pack from the link above?