guys that JUST HAVE to take you down

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

guys that JUST HAVE to take you down

Post by Beowolff » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:25 pm

yeah, its an old bitch of mine. i flew (or rather tried to fly in) a server the other night, to test my computer after i had worked on it. i won't name the name of the squadron hosting the server, but let's just say that it is named 'after' a US special defense command. ahem. :? and several of the people flying within it were of that particular named squadron.

anyway, i seemed to be getting a fair ping on there, and their settings must have been set high enough that my lousy and (lightning struck) computer wasn't being kicked off every five seconds for a change. i thought, okay, here i can get a workout and see if everything's working okay.

anyway, everything 'appeared' to be working okay (i've spent over a week working on my machine now) though my TIR seemed to be sticking on me for some reason, and i needed to fiddle with its settings. anyhow, the squadron owning the server, were like sharks... attacking everything in sight instantly... and that's okay, it 'was' a dogfight server. no, i didn't mind that i could barely get airborne before being jumped...that's part of being on a dogfight server.

what did and DOES bother me is that several of their squadron seemed to be of the GET A KILL AT ANY COST type. arrrgh! surviving with the sharks swarming you was hard enough... but if you managed to outfly one of them, and get on his tail, the others would swarm you instantly...and if they couldn't shoot you down, they'd ram you. ga!

though i was outflown and shot down often enough (five or six times) and that's okay (and unfortunately entirely expected) i was RAMMED from behind, a couple of dozen times. and with NO apology for any of them EVER!

i finally just left. and don't plan on going back. i've played other guys and squadrons like that before, and though sure, an occasional ram happens, to my way of thinking an apology is always called for, and more than one or two per game by the same flyers/team is really uncalled for, yet some think nothing of it. as their entire concentration is to TAKE YOU DOWN AT ALL COST. not only entirely un-realistic, but damned annoying and un-sportsman like. though there are MANY wonderful people flying this game on the net, it has really been a magnet for unsavory types too.

only in the final days of Air Warrior and CFS (on the Zone) did i see such outlandish and rude players in such multitudes.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:04 pm

Perhaps you could have left sooner?

G
I fear no beer

Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:22 am

:FI:Gurberly wrote:Perhaps you could have left sooner?

G
ah, the infamous, dry, Gub barb.

actually, there are a couple of reasons why i didn't leave sooner. #1. as i said, rams do happen. we've all done it. hell, i've even done it on occasion by either not paying enough attention to my closing speed or having the guy in front of me slam on the brakes (in an effort to cause me to overshoot and either save his ass or give him a shot at me or both.) also my cruddy dialup connection has caused some warp/lag that has made me ram un-intentionally a time or two. so what i'm saying is that i gave them the first few rams in a spirit of friendship/gamesmanship hoping that the rear-endings were just that... accidents. that right there actually made me stay longer than i normally would if i had known they were just out to get me.

#2. as i said, it was the first server with ping settings high enough that i wasn't automatically 'kicked' within the first 30 seconds of play---in some weeks now. (and i've tried, oh, about twenty or so) since the lightning strike. so, it behooved me to try and hang in there for a good bit, just to be able to more fully 'test' my modem/computer/connection/game a bit more. again, another factor in my staying in there longer than i normally would once i knew they were doing it on purpose.

and #3, the posting wasn't about how long i stayed in the server or how long i didn't, but rather about the sort of gamers that JUST HAVE TO TAKE YOU DOWN... one way or the other. either fair and square with their guns, or barring that. with the front end of their airplane. and for no good reason other than they just HAVE TO TAKE YOU OUT.

for those types, it isn't about having fun and being a sport, its about putting you on the ground anyway they can.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:49 am

Beo, TAYLORTONY said it best.....
Taylortony - "You just don't realise what you are missing until you fly it online against people less intelligent than the AI"
:lol:
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:31 am

Far from a barb :)

Just the observation that having endured countless rammings you showed remarkable forbearance in staying there as long as you did to then post comment about a no name squad on a no name server not playing the game the way you like to play it.

I hope you said thank-you to them for allowing you to use their server as a test bed :)

G
I fear no beer

Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:20 pm

:FI:Gurberly wrote:Far from a barb :)

Just the observation that having endured countless rammings you showed remarkable forbearance in staying there as long as you did to then post comment about a no name squad on a no name server not playing the game the way you like to play it.

I hope you said thank-you to them for allowing you to use their server as a test bed :)

G
as a matter of fact, "I did thank them" for playing, as i usually do when i leave every server, whether i liked playing there or not. (unless i'm automatically Ping-Kicked, like i have been since the lightning strike and have no chance to.)

but no, i did not tell them i was using their server as a test bed. for what reason? as they could not possibly have cared one way or the other since they were obviously only looking for meat to flame or bring down.

as to them not playing the game the way "i" liked it, true enough---their server, their rules---but usually "such" abnomal goings on's are posted at the briefing screen to alert any new comers to how its going down. and they were not, in this instance. and in fact, i'm not sure and certain the behavior that some of them were exhibiting was "Squadron Approved". more likely just a few that had to win at all costs.

i could be wrong, but i've always felt that "unless" otherwise posted, there were "certain" unspoken rules of sportsmanship and gamemanship to every multiplayer game. ways that one should conduct him/her self while playing. but then that is only "my" opinion, and i'm sure others think/feel differently.

but regardless of all that, is there a rule here that says i "can't" post "my" oppinion about anything having to do with the game?

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:03 pm

:FI:Beowolff wrote:
but regardless of all that, is there a rule here that says i "can't" post "my" oppinion about anything having to do with the game?

Beowolff

Indeed there isn't such a rule..... neither is there a rule to say you can. Though I guess that would get confusing if every rule needed an opposite... an anti-rule :roll:

G
I fear no beer

:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:08 pm

:shock: Where? there can be no Anti-Rules in here..... :evil:
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:30 pm

:FI:RULES wrote::shock: Where? there can be no Anti-Rules in here..... :evil:
Therefore ...

there can not NOT be any anti-rules here??

ak!

The few times I went on someone's server JUST to check out my computer and/or game settings,

I said, "hello"

"may I come on and check out my set up/whatever here for a few mins?"

"thanx"

If I get child-like responses I leave.

If I get jumped so often that I can't check my settings well enough I leave

etc ...

You know where I'm going with this,

but the important thing is that the guy from the Fightin' Irish acts like a gentleman and represents the squadron as best he can:

take a breath, try searching for another server.

Fal "beentheredonethattoo" con

Beo, have you talked to Snoop or anyone else who has a server and worked with them about setting up a high-ping session to best test stuff?

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:39 pm

Auntie Rules? As in our :FI:Rules? Hmmm, and here I thought, judging by the voice over TS, that Rules was a lad, and one with a voice of deep timbre at that. Hmmm, well, perhaps its the ol hormone therapy thing during menapause, and all that.

At any rate, you've got to understand something of Beo's pit bull tenacity. I remember games in the old CFS where the room was full of super tricked out mod super-planes that fly like UFOs and have guns that would make a broadside from the USS Missouri look wimpy. While other members of the squadron exclaimed "This sucks" and signed off, ol Beo and a couple others were the ones that stuck around and made these cheating dorks sorry they every stepped into their mod planes. It was truly inspiring to see! Beo has always been the sort that, if he felt he was being dissed, would put some serious diss-hurt on his opponents before he called it a night.

As for the ramming....hmmm....maybe it was an Al Queda squadron or something? ;)

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:41 pm

:FI:ZekeMan wrote: As for the ramming....hmmm....maybe it was an Al Queda squadron or something? ;)

No no Noooo!
:FI:Beowolff wrote:.... but let's just say that it is named 'after' a US special defense command.
Beowolff

Infiltrators perhaps?

;)

G
I fear no beer

Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:57 am

Falcon wrote:

You know where I'm going with this,

but the important thing is that the guy from the Fightin' Irish acts like a gentleman and represents the squadron as best he can:

take a breath, try searching for another server.

---------------------------------------------------------

excuse me, Falcon... but where in my missive did i indicate that I "didn't" act like a gentleman nor didn't represent the squad as best i could?

did i flame a couple of the blokes with my guns right before i checked out? yes, fair and square had them in my sites. then thanked them for the game and left. but as i see it, that's hardly defaming the squadron, but merely self-defense and upholding the honor of the squad by doing my duty and shooting down cads wherever they may be found. blessed em proper on the way to the ground too, i did.

i may be new to the squad, but i have upheld high standards of fairplay, common sense and personal duty and honor LONG before there ever was a fighting irish squadron. perhaps even longer than many here have even been alive. no pun intended.

salute.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:28 am

Beowolf, I know you're upset about this (who would'nt be?) but I don't think Falcon was trying to imply anything bad about your sense of sportsmanship, or anything else, for that matter.
Relax bud, you're among friends here.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:47 am

i know, Murph, and thanks for saying that. i AM among friends. so naturally don't feel as if i have to diddle daddle. i speak my mind, plain and simple. always have and always will. and expect others to treat me in a similiar fashion.

in fact, i'll say this right now. if there is anyone in the squadron, anyone at all, that has issues with me, on a personal level, squad level, or any other level, i'm open to recieve their issues. not that i'll swear to agree with such, but certainly will be willing to hear them out. if worst comes to worst, a duel with bottle rockets or shaken, cold beer might be in order.

that's with me picking the beer to used of course.

;)

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:49 am

merely taking the opportunity handed to me by Beo's enlightening post to remind all reading this that ...

being a Fightin' Irishman means

being a good guest on other's servers

being a good host on our servers

and being a gentleman everywhere else in between.

:D