London!!

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
arne_and
Postmaster

London!!

Post by arne_and » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:56 am

Im going too London soon for a weekend ! :D Do you got any suggestions about what I should go see?[/url]
Last edited by arne_and on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skipper
Forum Junky

I enjoyed....

Post by Skipper » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:10 pm

I went a few years ago , Madame Tussauds is a good bet very interesting and you get to have your photo taken with celebrities......ok they're not real but that was my favourite place.The nearby Legoland was good when I went but I was quite small at the time and its not a patch on Disneyland Paris so perhaps don't bother.THe changing of the guard at Windsor castle is good and just seeing the sights like Big Ben , St Paul's Cathedral and Parliament is quite fun.I enjoyed Madame Tussauds the best though!

Skip
arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:36 pm

Cheers skip. Whattabout pubs? :)
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:51 pm

He's only 15 M8 :D
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:52 pm

lol sry skip :lol:
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:28 pm

Lol :D , perhaps in a few years I can tell you about that...... :)

Skip
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Hmmm...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:03 pm

I haven't lived in London since 1990... and even then my reco9llection of pubs was quite hazy for some unknown reason :beer:

Have a stroll around Soho. The Coach and Horses used to be fun in a dreary alcoholic sort of way... it's where the famous journalist/writer Jeffrey Bernard used to live :lol: before he drank himself to death (and wrote about the process too).

In Chinatown there's a bar called The Kings Head. Downstairs there can be fun too. A little bit of Jazz - if it hasn't changed or turned into a gay bar.... with a ratter unusual crowd.

In Islington (Upper Street) theres a bar called the... wait for.. King's Head :lol: Not very imaninative with their pub names in blighty I'm afraid.... though I did see one called The Red Lion and Pineapple once.... :shock: The bar in Islington is a theatre and bar - so you get a real arty-farty crowd there.... but it's a great old pub....

Jeez.. that's terrible I can only remember three pubs.... :oops:
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:30 pm

london eyes nice :)
maybe take a boat ride up the thames, its pretty cheap, the boats are next to the eye so its pretty easy to do both if your into art theres the tate and if your into design theres a design museum hidden in the depths somwhere :)
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:32 pm

...and be careful of some of those bars Soho way with the nice youg ladies outside that entice you in ;)

G
I fear no beer

arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:56 pm

heheheeh fenian... how strange! I wonder why you cant remember anymore ... :lol: :beer: Im going to stay in a hotel at soho actually! What was it... near oxford street i think.
Planning too take a ride with a boat in the thames, visit madam tussauds, big ben and that big wheel thingy, and maybe some more stuff. I promise to not act as many other norwegian turists; as a drunk viking that have come to conquer all the ladies in the city :) And, Is there any ww2 museums in london?
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:25 pm

Imperial War Museum
http://london.iwm.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.00b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also HMS Belfast on the River Thames.

RAF museum at Hendon
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I fear no beer

:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:15 pm

8) Gurberly said it all....The places I liked the most.... :lol:
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
Baderslegs
Postmaster

Post by Baderslegs » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:59 pm

Imperial war musuem is a must. The national gallery is brilliant too if you're into art, also its near Nelsons column (ooh-ar, nudge nudge wink wink), not too far from soho either if memory serves.

The science museum is good too.
Originality and strangeness are good,
blind conformity and stupidity are unforgivable.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

:FI:Baderslegs
arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:21 pm

Thanks for the tips m8s! I appriciate it! ;)
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:02 pm

Set aside an hour or two for the Science Museum's aerospace section. They have a Hurricane, a Spitfire and a Komet (among others) suspended from the ceiling. There's also a great range of original engines, miscellaneous bits and pieces, and a DC-3 fuselage cutaway that you can walk into.

That said, the Science Museum itself is worth a few days' visit!

If you're there on a Monday night head to 'Trash', it's on in a nightclub called 'The End' near Tottenham Court Road. It's insane!
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...