lightning strike... no, not that one. a real one.

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

lightning strike... no, not that one. a real one.

Post by Beowolff » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:25 pm

no... not a new coop mission (though it IS a catchy title, eh? and quite original.) but an actual lightning strike. i'm saddened, but hasn't ANYONE thought to say, "ere now, where's ole Beowolff got off to? aven't seen em in days now!"

okay, well let me just answer that BEFORE it is asked. the lightning strike. yep... first of the week, connected online to play some with the lads here, was just about to click on the Irish Teamspeak server and out of nowhere---"ka-blooie!" thirty million volts (or at least several thousand) blasted down from the heavens and right onto my house. immediate results as you might guess. i came straight up out of my chair, spilt a full cup of hot coffee all over me nad sacs... :(

i'm still slightly numb (but it is a sort of 'different' arousal type feeling.)

i tripped and fell flat on my face, got tangled up in my headphone chord and almost strangled myself. meantime, Bugs, my faithful inside buddy/dog, was also startled and leaped up and ran straightway into the wall by my TV... knocked himself silly, he did.

sadly, it also fried my modem... and did some 'other' still unknown damage to my flying computer. i've got it back up and a new modem in it, so i can connect... but the new modem SUCKS the big one. now i'm getting odd connection speeds that i never got before. one time its 20kbps, next time its 33, etc, etc. haven't a clue as to what that is. also, my computer is acting odd. i don't know if i can even play FB/PF on it online. i tried connecting to some dogfight servers on HL last night, but kept getting disconnected.

any ideas anyone?

its making me sick, i'll tell ya. i do NOT have the cabbage for a new rigg right now.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:26 am

Gees Beo, and here I thought Murphy took up residence at my place without paying any rent! You done pissed that lad off, it seems. Have you tried the ol uninstall/reinstall thingy with PF? If you can get on line to post here its obvious the lightening did not damage any internal components of your puter besides your modem, else I would think you'd have more problems than you have. (How's Bugs, btw?) I hope you can get it fixed before tomorrow night bud, (Sunday).

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:59 pm

damn Beo, you alright m8, sorry to hear about your troubles there. about your modem, what kind did you end up buying? till then, try this init string: go to your modem properties in the control panel. depending on what version of windows your running, if win98-ME, hi-lite the modem in the window, click properties, then click the connection tab from the top, then the advanced button at the bottom, you should see what says "Extra Settings" enter this init string, +MS=v34,0

if using winXP it will look like this : control panel/phone&modem properties, click the modem tab from the top, then the propeties button on that page, then there should be a tab at the top that says advanced, enter that same initialization command and try connecting.

if this fails to boost your connection speed a bit, then try searching for some updated drivers on the internet. hope this helps sir, let me know how it goes. ;)
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
Willie (on Dad's Comp)

Post by Willie (on Dad's Comp) » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:55 pm

Beo,

I have a US Robotics external modem if you need a hardware modem. I'll get with ya if ya want it. It's yours for the asking.

Willie
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:05 pm

hope you get over your troubles mate, couple across the road got hit by lightning awhile back, scary stuff.
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:36 pm

ahh yeah, now that external modem would prolly work better for you good sir, might wanna get up with Willie on that deal :)

DS
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:29 am

i'm in and out of communication... so sorry for not getting right back to you guys. thanks Willie for the kind offer, but i have two other modems, another internal (off an older machine, but still practically new) and a US Robotics external USB modem. NEITHER are working right on this machine now... though when i put them to my secondary computer, they work JUST fine! (scratches head in complete puzzlement!)

its the damndest thing. and Sledge, i tried your modem commands, but to no avail...made not a whit of difference in connection or connection speeds. its a nutter all right. one time i connect at 12kbps... and that REALLY sucks, the next maybe at 18.5kbps... the next, maybe 26kbps... and on and on. BEFORE, i never connected at less than 49kbps. yet these same modems, on my OTHER older computer, connect easily at 49-52kbps. move them back to my newer computer...whammo! back to the low and slow connection speeds.

so its obviously NOT my phone line...or the other computer wouldnt be connecting so easily and fast. its not the modems, or again, why would they be working so well on the old machine. its got to be SOMETHING with my machine... but for the life of me, i can't figure it out.

but its doomed my online playing. for the moment anyway. hell, i can barely connect to write this message to you guys. it took forever.

any more ideas?

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Have you...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:29 am

...tried using the modem(s) in a different slot?

If you have the same problem in all PCI slots the odds are the lightning fried your PCI Bus.

Just to be sure try re-installing your MB drivers.

If that doesn't work, sorry to say you'll need a new MB.

Best to ya, bro, and good luck!
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:07 am

Beo, u said your USB external modem wasn't working with the affected machine either? It may be a long shot, but check to see if the lightening strike somehow reset your BIOS settings. When you hook up the modem, is it recognized in Device Manager? If so, perhaps its a corrupted setting within Windows? If not, perhaps Heloego is correct, brother.
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:09 am

Anonymous wrote:Beo, u said your USB external modem wasn't working with the affected machine either? It may be a long shot, but check to see if the lightening strike somehow reset your BIOS settings. When you hook up the modem, is it recognized in Device Manager? If so, perhaps its a corrupted setting within Windows? If not, perhaps Heloego is correct, brother.
Doh! Thought I had the "auto login" box checked!

:x

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:14 pm

man i know this really sucks for you sir, this could be line noise in the phone lines or a bad server number, you might get a different access number from your ISP and try that. this is one thing i dealt with alot working in ISP techsupport for dialup. this is also one of the reasons i'll never use dialup, its just completely frustrating, yeah yeah i know, high-speed isnt available in some parts of our country yet, but it will one day sir :x

goodluck Beo, i really hope you get this fixed sir ;)

DS
arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:03 am

Sad too hear about this beo, though it was a bit fun reading :? Hope bugs recovered and didnt stay silly.. Good luck with trying to get back online with a fast...er connection. I dont know much about that stuff so Im not much of a help so, hope that the m8s can help you getting back in the skies!