PF 4.0, Anybody Worried?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:50 pm

I don't think there can ever be full agreement about FMs. The only one I know personally who has flown the real thing and some of the sims (Monroe Williams) thinks that the sim with the most "authentic" FM is ,believe it or not, Jane's WWII Fighters!
He said that in over 22 years of flying US aircraft, including combat in the P47 and P51, he's never heard of anyone putting one in a flat spin! He was a consultant to Oleg on AEP and told Oleg that he thought the P47 was too sluggish and underpowered and that the spin and stall characteristics of all the aircraft were greatly exaggerated. Oleg chose to go with his "super secret inside information, be sure" on it. As it happens, there was a bug in the P47's FM; the programmers had set the airspeed to reflect Kph rather than Mph. It was fixed eventually, but I say this in order to point out how much even the "experts" can disagree.
I think the tendancy of a lot of sim (as opposed to real life) pilots is to assume that "harder= more authentic".
Having said all of the above, however, I do think there are issues with the way P factors are done in the game. Some of these are probably not getting fixed because they are "hard-coded" (such as takeoff torque on twins). Another factor to consider is how much time the average gamer wants to spend just learning how to takeoff and land. If they make it too difficult, most potential new simmers will just give up and go play Warcraft or something similar.
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Worried?

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:03 pm

:FI:Snaphoo wrote:Nah... Not really... I know that, regardless of what Oleg does to the current game, people will complain, others will rave, and I will be shot down... again and again...

*sigh*
LOL Snaphoo, very pragmatic outlook there!

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

New clouds?

Post by :FI:Genosse » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:16 pm

Just look for yourself ....

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/ss/new_clouds3.jpg

Let´s see what influence some kind of weather engine on the performance of my PC/connection will have ...

:?
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image