End of an era, CPU clock speeds maxed out.

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Paddy
Baby Boardie

End of an era, CPU clock speeds maxed out.

Post by Paddy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:56 pm

Lads,

An interesting article. Skip the concurrency stuff and jump down to "Obstacles, and Why You Don’t Have 10GHz Today".

http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm

Basically what it means is that our current games that are probably Single Thread written will not get any faster if it is the CPU that is holding up performance.

Paddy
Go neiri on bothair leat!
May the road rise up to meet you!
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:11 pm

It would seem to me that while CPU power continues to be important, games are really taxing on current video hardware. This year we will see motherboards allowing two (and possibly more) video cards that will work together to process the video output of games. Other performance improvements will come from a 64-bit OS in the not so distant future, as well as some more innovation with the CPU chip.

With regards to the CPU chip, did you boys know that Microsoft is planning to make their own chips for the XBox 2 system instead of using Intel (or AMD)? :shock: This will likely create an interesting environment/marketplace for chip development. Some of the new stuff ATI is planning in the next couple of years will also likely be present in Xbox 2 when it is released later this year.

----------------

OT - Just before Christmas I purchased a Logitech MX 510 Optical Mouse for @$50 Canadian. Great mouse! I saw today that the same mouse at the same store I bought mine (Future Shop) is now selling it for only $14.99. :x I hate inflated technology costs!!!!

TactS!