Hello! :)

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Hello! :)

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi guys,

Everything is going well :). I'm still in Austin, TX! About four years ago I quit my software development job at my friends company to try for the first time to work for myself. I've been working on an indie video game since then. I'm doing everything myself and even though I have many years of experience as a software developer it was my first time working seriously on a video game (I've made small toy games in my spare time before, but all of them simple and 2D). I've been working primarily offline these last four years to avoid distractions and have had little time for playing online games :(.

Now after exploring many false directions I'm finally getting close to unveiling my first game. I showed the game to FI gathered at Conrad's place and to his little kids, but besides them only a handful of friends have played it. Eventually I will be running a public alpha/beta test of the game, but before then and before I reveal it to the public I really want to show it to more friends that I trust (like the FI) and play test in larger groups.

The game is sort of a picture of what an ideal game of this type would be to me. It's a bit odd and breaks many conventions, but I wanted to make no personal compromises. I'd really like to show the game and see what you and my other m8s think about it :). It does have flying and shootin' in it and is a competitive online game so I think at least some of you might like it ;) plus you know the kind of missions I liked to host. The game is in stealth mode right now so I can't point you to any publicly available information on it. But any of my FI friends that wants to give it a shot can send me an email and I will send them a test build and join them online during a future play testing session :). I'm still recovering from a flu I got on the flight back, but as soon as I'm better I will be back to working on it. I'm working on completing late join support but as soon as that is done I'll probably start regular weekly play tests.

I'd love to visit some time :). Amanda and I will never forget the last time you cooked for us :D!!! I'd love for you to visit us in Austin :). This last trip to Europe was the first time I had a serious vacation these last four years, but I'm hoping after I release this baby to have more time to travel and visit friends :).

s!
Snoop
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Wow, that sounds incredible! Definitely very interesting, and I imagine quite a journey it is going through game development like that :)

I would love to test the game with you sometime! Don't worry, I dont have facebook, twitter or any kind of blog i would leak it :)

I'll shoot you an email!
:: napier ::

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Howdy napier, thanks I just shot you a quick email :). I'm looking forward to catching up, it's been to long!!!
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:49 am

And Snoop knows I'm in. Heck, any chance to shoot Michael - well - you know. :badgrin:
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Oh there will be a lot of shooting :). I'm looking forward to enjoying the experience gap and shooting you all down :badgrin: Hehehe at least until you guys get the hang of it :D Then I'll be needing my wingman back on my team ;)

I was looking through some of the old threads and my old profile caught my eye:
6. Hobbies/pastimes - FB and FI, reading (pretty much everything from history to comic books :) ), swimming (warm weather and everything that comes with it ;) ), programming (one day I'll finish that killer game), poker (especialy when I win :D ), kites (have some duel string and a quad string), entertaining my friends and making new ones :D
It only took 10 years, but I may finally be close to fulfilling that one. :p
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:11 am

:FI:Snoop Baron wrote:
It only took 10 years, but I may finally be close to fulfilling that one. :p
That'd be about 4 weeks by Olegs reckoning :badgrin:

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:12 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah and the game will be out in two weeks :^o
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Hey there, Snoop, Nape, Tactical!
Count me in, too! Please????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:00 am

Wouldn't dream of playing without ya Helo :D!!!

I'm almost ready to begin our private alpha! Just a few more days and I'll be done with the programming for this alpha test. Then I'm designing a nicer map and we are good to go. Will probably begin during the first half of February could even be as soon as the first week of February. See you guys soon :)!

s!
Snoop
ps. Since the version I showed the guys in the Netherlands I've finished all player abilities and revamped existing ones, added voice and text communication, new win conditions and control points, user selected avatars, and more :). I have a lot of other things I want to add and the art work is still place holder, but it is everything I wanted to have in place for a public alpha.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Great news, Fernando!
Looking forward to the Alpha! :)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:04 pm

Looking forward to trying this out.
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:44 pm

:FI:Snoop Baron wrote:ps. Since the version I showed the guys in the Netherlands I've finished all player abilities and revamped existing ones, added voice and text communication, new win conditions and control points, user selected avatars, and more :). I have a lot of other things I want to add and the art work is still place holder, but it is everything I wanted to have in place for a public alpha.
Alright, Fernando! I'm already looking forward to it, mate. Ikimashou! ;)

^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Konichiwa, Frank-kun :)! Thanks guys, It won't be long now :)!
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Snoop my apologizes for disappearing these last few months. I have been very busy working on a special project; writing a new zoning by-law for our city.

However, I did very much enjoy spending time with you and your friends/family playing a pre-alpha version of your game. I thought it was very well thought out and imaginative. No doubt it will be a hit Fernando!

My project will soon be ending and hopefully I will be able to join you guys when Snoop is ready to launch the game to the Squad.

All the very best on completing the game my friend. ^:)

TS!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:17 am

No problem Tact :) I figured you were still busy with work! Thanks Tact, it means a lot to me that my friends are enjoying the game :D Although never be afraid to give me any constructive criticism! I can take it 8) Great let me know as soon as your project ends, I'm looking forward to this private launch :) Last week I was recovering from a bad stomach virus which slowed me down a bit. But this week I've switched to a new lighting system and got rid of a third party sound system that was causing audio issues and an update to the server code to help with long term stability. Next week I'll implement a new dynamic fog and portal rendering. I wasn't planing on making any more code changes, but I wanted to improve the look of the world by updating some of the rendering. I've been working on the new map design on grid paper first and will get that into the game before I start the private test. The other thing I have left to do is to update the documentation with a short description of each ability. I've designed the game so you can learn how everything works strictly through play, but the optional docs can speed up the process, provide a refresher, or spell out the little details you may have missed.

Thanks again, I hope your zoning project is a big success ^:)

Snoop