the plan ,Gawd luv us

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Wolfhound
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

the plan ,Gawd luv us

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Wed May 04, 2011 6:36 pm

this is the plan hopefully to be ordered in early july

Asus Maximus IV Extreme LGA1155/ Intel P67(B3)/ DDR3/ CrossFireX & 3-Way SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&2GbE/ EATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU, Retail

Palit nVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti 2GB DDR5 VGA/2DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card

Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP No Power Supply ATX Mid Tower Case (Black)

Super Talent DDR3-1600 8GB(2X4G) CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kits - WP160UX8G9

Thermaltake TRX-1000M TR2 RX 1000W V2.3 Power Supply (Core i7 & Core i5 Ready)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit(1-Pack, Full Version), OEM

Crucial 2.5 inch 128GB RealSSD C300 SATA3 Solid State Drive(MLC)

The optical drive and hard drive from my Dell inspiron 530 will also be Borg'd ' Resistance is futile ' #-o
Last edited by :FI:Wolfhound on Sat May 07, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014

:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Re: the plan ,Gawd luv us

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu May 05, 2011 9:40 am

Not too shabby! :D
We're pulling for ya, Dec!

And merging the old HD and Optical will save a few shekels, too.

Advance Congrats.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu May 05, 2011 1:17 pm

:FI:Wolfhound wrote:this is the plan hopefully to be ordered in early july

Video Card
Sapphire Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card
Is this worth getting to replace 9800geforce copy ?

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Thu May 05, 2011 2:03 pm

Dec why the older generation CPU?

The Sandybridge are the ones to go for speed wise for gaming atm . The I5 2500K is about £170 the I7 2600K about £40 more.
Super- fast anyway, overclock like mad , run not too hot and don't need as much juice.

Mikester has a 3.4 ghz 2600 @4.5Ghz, I have the 3.3Ghz 2500 @ 4.4Ghz and it goes to 4.8Ghz with more volts than auto.

We both have CloD maxed out with good frames and I have RoF the same and last night it was smooth as silk. Get a Sandybridge you numpty!

If you do you'll need a different M/B and say a 8gb or 16gb dual channel memory set instead of triple channel.

edit. I have that Crucial SSD you have on the list. For £40 more I'd get the new OCZ Vertex 3 drive. It's quite a bit faster.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Thu May 05, 2011 6:36 pm

what about this AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor 1100T (3.3GHz) AM3, Retail (Black Edition)
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014

:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Thu May 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Dec I have to chip in here if I may.

I am a fan of AMD chips and have been for years but even I would say go with a sandy bridge chip. AMD chips are good but CPU wise they can't match the speed and clockability of the latest Intel chips.

The spec you have put up for us to see is a good one but Graham is right for slightly more you can have an Uber rig with the sandy bridge chip and Motherboard but the at end of the day It's down to what you can afford.

I'm glad your going to build it yourself cause I have always found that I can find any fault easier on a machine I have built myself as opposed to a machine that we have bought in. You also have the benefit of knowing exactly what you have in your case.

Good luck and if you need any help just shout out.

Kev :D
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Trust Kev he's an IT pro as is Mike who would say the same I'm sure.

Even price makes no case for the older cpu, where I'm looking (Scan computers) your 960 is £218 the I5 2500K is £160. The second is faster and way moreso when overclocked.

The 260K has jumped in price however but it uses hyperthreading and no use in games atm. Mikester has it switched off.

2500K is the bang for shekel for gaming at least.

However AMD are due to bring out a new cpu Bulldozer which might be the best price/performance yet. Not sure when its due but Google is your friend.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Fri May 06, 2011 1:23 am

They can be persuasive can't they, they got me to go Sandybridge and I feel like it was the right choice. The overclock is a breeze, click a button, click apply and done. You can tweak it and go higher, but it's a tad more complicated. Good luck.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Above edited

The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Sat May 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Dec you might want to look into the depth of that palit card if you are thinking of using multiple cards in the future. I see you are getting an expensive 3 socket board so presume you are. I'm sure two cards would fit but the palit looks about 2 and a half sockets deep not 2. Read about someone having problems in a techy forum about this.

Also the upmarket coolers all tend to blow the warm air into the case?!( unlike the original Nvidia design which vents out the case in the 570 at least) so the cases cooling would need to be very good if you have multiple cards in SLI.

Otherwise use as a slowcook fan oven while gaming :) .

And you still need to change your memory sets M8. The P67 boards use dual channel not triple. Sure you can get the same memory just in Dual set, so 2 x 4gb or 4x 4gb.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Sat May 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Graham i got conformation in a mail from Superbiiz that its all compatible 8)

The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Sat May 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Well I guess the three dimms would work on a 1155 board but 1 pair would be in dual channel the other on its own, that's not optimising the memory slots.

The I7 1366 board you were getting before runs triple channel memory slots(the dimm sockets come in 2 groups of three, that set is designed for that board. I7 1155 Sandybridge boards have two groups of two dimm sockets for they only run duel channel so you buy them as matched pairs.

Like these
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dua ... 618-5.html
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Sat May 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Nice one Graham ammended for same Super Talent DDR3-1600 8GB(2X4G) CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kits - WP160UX8G9

Keep them coming graham,i didn't understand your post about the card,you reckon these will not fit the system? :oops:

The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Sun May 08, 2011 11:08 am

Cards have varying sized coolers. Most are two slots deep i.e plugging into one and the cooler covering the slot below. However some are 2 1/2 and 3 slots deep which depending on your motherboard can make SLI/crossfire impossible or at least bad for overheating as the cards get too hot being so close.
Your board has 4 x PCI-E 2.0 (x16) slots :shock: My guess is that Palit card is 2 1/2 slots deep so you should be fine, even with three cards. I'd check to be sure though.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Mon May 16, 2011 2:56 pm

the point is moot now graham those palit cards are out of stock , but i can get these x 2 for the same price roughly and they seem to be fairly ok EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX550 2GB DDR5

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?na ... Video-Card and there bus: was the same a s the palit and motherboard Bus: PCI-Express 2.0 x16