where should I stick it?

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
Captain Lockheed
Baby Boardie

where should I stick it?

Post by Captain Lockheed » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Can anyone give me a bit of advice please, Ive found my way to some very nice Fightin' Irish skins and was wondering if there is only one skin for an aircraft and there are a few different Mk's, do I just stick a copy of the same skin in each aircraft skin file. Also do I need them to fly online with you chaps, and should i just use the standard skins myself online ?

Hope to be up in the air soon.......Thanks Ade
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: where should I stick it?

Post by :FI:Airway » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:33 pm

Hey mate !

It's not a must to use the skins but it looks nice and they are pretty well done.

Usually the skins are named after the type of the plane they can be used on.

For example if there is a Spitfire MkI skin it should be named so.

Or theres a textfile or a hint somewhere else on wich plane the skin fits.

Maybe one of the skinners will give a better introduction later - so watch out.

Airway
Image ImageImage
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:50 pm

Yeah, special skins are usually not required. If you want to hurt a skinner's feelings, just wear what you ... >snif!< ... want.

jk

~~~

Sea Norris, on the UBI forums made this list a while ago and it's kinna accurate:

... Now, most of this is just general, I haven't taken into account the panel lines, which NOTE, all planes usually have different panel lines between varients Wink

Zero's
Generally the Early versions will work with each other, and the later versions with the later versions, all should work on one another with only panel line errors, only the A6M2-N has its own skin file, none will work with this except N skins.

Avengers (TBD)
All work with each other with no errors that I can see.

B-17's
Generally, all skins work with each other, except the D model.
B-25's
Only work with there own plane, although C will work on J, they will look bad.
B-239&Buffalo
All work with each other no problem.
Bf-109
E's will work with each other, but not on others, same with the F series, altough the G,K&Z versions should all work with each other with no problems.
Bf-110
All will work on any model, only the gunner position on the G would look a little wrong.
Blenheim
Both will work on one another.
C-47/Li-2/L2D
All should work with one another, although the Li-2 is different to the other two in slight ways.
Corsairs
Usually always work with each other.
DB-3
The short nosed ones will only work on them, I am unsure if they work with IL-4's or DB-3T.
F4F&FM-2
All work with each other with hardly any problems.
F6F
Both work on one another.
Fw-190
Usually, they should all work on each other, you will find errors on most if you do not put it in the supposed folder, D-9 & Ta-152 won't work on any other FW, or each other.
G4M
Usually work on one another but with problems.
Gladiator&J8A
Always work with each other.
Hawk75&P-36
Always work with each other.
He-111
Should work on one another but with some errors.
Hs-129
Should work on one another but the Cannon version may have problems.
Hurricane
Usually, MKI skins work with the IIB, the IIC and Field Mod use their own voids though, so don't work very well.
I-153
Work together no problem
I-16
Work together no problem
I-185
Work together no problem
IAR80/81
Work with each other, with some errors I think.
IL-2Usually work with each other, but the Early versions should stay with them, and the later versions with the later skins.
Ju-52
Work together no problem, maybe some errors on the floatplane varient.
Ju-87
Work with each other, although not so good on the D-5/G-1.
Ju-88
Work together no problem, although the front does get crunched up on the Mistel version.
Ki-43
Work together no problem
Ki-46
Some errors may occur.
Ki-61
Work together no problem
Ki-84
Usually work with one another, although some errors may occur on the C varient, which has markings painted on by default.
La-5
Mainly work with each other without conflict.
La-7
Work together no problem.
LaGG3
Work together no problem, although panel lines, and the IT version will vary.
Me-210
Work together no problem
Me-262
Work together no problem, again, the U4 Version is slightly different, usually results in a white cannon if you use a A version skin.
MiG3
Work on each other fine, except the MiG-3U, which is a totally different void.
MS-series
Usually work fine together.
Mustang
B,C and MustangIII all work with each other, but not with the D series, although these work with each other.
N1K1-J
Work with each other without much problem.
P-38
Usually work fine together, although there is some differences.
P-39
Usually work fine together. Also works with the P-400.
P-40
Only B/C will work with those planes, not with the E/M. E/M work with each other ok usually too.
P-47
Pe-2
Pe-3
SBM
SBD
Seafire
Spitfire
Only MKVB versions work with the VB, same applies to the VIII and IXc. Also, the Vc will only work on the Vc.
TB-3
Usually work fine together, although, some differences are noteable.
Yak
Usually, work fine with each other, though I recommend only adding certain ones to certain folders, such as the Yak1 can go to Yak7 skins too. 3 and 9 should stay in there own folders too.

~~~

I think the info on the Spitfires is off a wee bit (and some others). I'll do some checking and get back to you on some of those.

Again, after you become a full member, you can get many skins with your name, squadron number (or letter) and nose art on them. In the meantime, there are un-numbered uncustomized squardon skins you can get. Have you checked HERE?

If you are having an issue with a particular aircraft, let us know.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Captain Lockheed
Baby Boardie

Post by Captain Lockheed » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:30 am

Thanks for that Falcon,
Are there any of the skins that are priority that get used a lot i should load first ?
Sorry for ear wigging your flight on Sunday, i was just trying to get every thing working but was confused when i couldn't see any of you on hyperlobby, so i just hung around until you had finished to get some advice, at least i got Teamspeak working, sounded like great fun out there,cant wait to get in the air.
Just a few other things, how do i find you chaps online ? what realism setting do you use? and which aircraft would you advise me to take up? also do i need a copy of the BOB map in both 4.08 and 4.09 installs.

Thanks Ade
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:35 am

Priority skins?

Well, that changes with the campaigns.

- On-going campaigns:

"The Long Retreat"; Stukas, 190A's, 109F/G's

"BoB"; SpitMkI's (from AAA mod), Hurri Mk I/1B's*

"Historic Encounters"; Russian, I-153's, I-16's, Yak 1's, Mig 1's, Pe-2's, IL-2's. German, 109E/F's, Ju-88's.**

HyperLobby dogfights and #v# co-ops, almost any skin.

* Skin available on request. PM, post or E-mail me.

** Skin pak available thru HE participants. See HE thread.

~~~

On Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays we meet in TeamSpeak and enter game thru IP#. Always check our web site's front page and click the RADIO icon in the upper right. That will show who's on TeamSpeak.

~~~

Realism settings are usually full real except for occasional heads up display (speed bar) and map icons. We never use ac icons or "Wonder Woman" view.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Captain Lockheed
Baby Boardie

Post by Captain Lockheed » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks for the help Falcon, hope to be airborne for Friday.There's a lot of learning to be done, got a load of info of one of the chaps at our sim racing site, He speaks very highly of you chaps he flies as PE_Niko. He was offering some flight lessons for the lads over there but Ive been to busy to catch him online, ah well in at the deep end on Friday.

Thanks again Ade.