PC dead - RIP?

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

PC dead - RIP?

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:31 pm

Got back from holiday, switched on my PC and a few seconds after the desktop came up it crashed completely - just a black screen.

It now will not do anything - there is power to the fans and LED's etc but won't boot from either hard drive or CD :cry:

It was switched off for 3 weeks whilst I was away so wondered if any internal battery might have discharged / given up the ghost, but other than that I haven't a clue.

Anyone got any ideas other than mending it with a new one?
Olegs stalker

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: PC dead - RIP?

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:10 pm

You already know my feelings on the subject Neil ...

... have you seen any short, stocky men wearing red hat, cape and woolly stockings hang'n round the yard?

S

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Mefisto
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:17 pm

It looks like the dead power supply.

Other option might be cpu if its fan didn't start up (unlikely), same with graphic card...
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:50 pm

If you won´t have any BIOS self test screen it could be that either the CPU or RAM is gone ... a complete black screen could also be a sign of a dead GFX card or monitor ... :-k

But I´m just guessing right now ...

Sorry to hear that, Neil! #-o
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:18 pm

:FI:Genosse wrote:If you won´t have any BIOS self test screen it could be that either the CPU or RAM is gone ... a complete black screen could also be a sign of a dead GFX card or monitor ... :-k

But I´m just guessing right now ...

Sorry to hear that, Neil! #-o
Don't think it is the PSU as I have power to fans, LED's etc
Monitor is working in that I get a test screen but no input from the graphics card - but fans on the GFX card are working so not sure thats the problem.

The computer basically doesn't do it's normal start up routine - it normally lights up, bleeps, and then the hard disk starts to whirr away as it boots. I now only get the lights, no beep and no hard disk noise at all. If I put the recovery disk in the CD, then the CD light comes on but the machine still won't boot. I think the CPU or RAM are the most likely suspects (pity because I have a spare PSU and GFX card I could use :lol: ) so looks like a rebuild or a new machine.
Olegs stalker

Expo
Baby Boardie

Post by Expo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:08 pm

Could be your harddrive.

Try booting Windows from your disc if you've got one. If Windows does boot using the disc then its your harddrive :)
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:24 pm

Expo wrote:Could be your harddrive.

Try booting Windows from your disc if you've got one. If Windows does boot using the disc then its your harddrive :)
Don't think it's the HD as it won't boot from CD either?
Olegs stalker

:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:24 pm

Try switching to a spare graphics card first then check the RAM by removing the ram completely and powering on the PC. You should be greeted by some angry beeping. If so, and you have more than one stick of RAM, try each on it's own to see if you can find the culprit there.
:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:04 pm

If your getting no Beep on startup then I would say you have a dead bios there :cry:

Did you say you changed the battery? If not give that a go.

If that doesn't work another old trick is to disconnect all power and other connection from the motherboard and once done leave for about ten mins and then re connect them. I know it sounds daft as hell but you wouldn't believe how many time we have had to do this to some of the machines at work. Basically it allows any static held in any of the chipsets to dissipate.

If niether of those two things work then suspect the motherboard to be KAPUT.

Wardog 8)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:20 am

Had the same prob with a previous machine.

A) Check the power connection to your motherboard. It may not have been seated properly the last time you messed around in there. Carefully re-seat the connector until you hear it lock in place. Check that all other connectors to all other HD's and Optical Drives are secure.Try a start up. If the problem persists,

B) Pull your HD and try it in another, working, machine. If it boots OK then the prob is narrowed to the MB.

c) Try a diffferent HD in the original machine. If it boots OK the problem is your original HD.

If none of the above work, disassemble your machine and visually check the MB. A magnifier is helpful. Specifically, look for anything resembling a scorched area or component, and check the capacitors for bulging tops. A bulging top indicates it's blown. Either of the two will require a replacement of the MB, as it would be more expensive to repair it unless you're tight with an electronics Van Gogh.

Another thing you may check:
If you built the machine yourself, check the MB documentation for a list of Post Codes. Post codes can be displayed by an LED on the MB, or as a "beep" or "beeps" from the MB speaker. If you're hearing or seeing either, make note of the number and sequence, as they will tell you plenty for troubleshooting a problem.

Oh, I almost forgot...

Your PC may just not like you. ;)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks guys, good suggestions.

I'll give them a try when I get home from work.

:D
Olegs stalker

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:46 pm

\:D/ :beer: ^:) \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D] =D] =D]

The Manc is back - just replaced the battery on the motherboard at a cost of £2.95 and machine is back - there is a God!
Olegs stalker

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:10 pm

=D]

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Good news, Neil! =D] :D
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:34 pm

:FI:Nellip wrote:\:D/ :beer: ^:) \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D] =D] =D]

The Manc is back - just replaced the battery on the motherboard at a cost of £2.95 and machine is back - there is a God!
Excellent.

The chemist always looks at me funny when I go to buy those batteries as they are also used for hearing aids.