where could dey all be

dyyyrrrrr dyrr dyrr dyrr dyrrrr!

yeah my book marks is gha-ooone!

dey done walk out on me.

dyrr-dyrr-dyrr-dyyyyrr!

I got duh bookmark gone bluuuuues yeah!

duh bookmark gone blues.

Muddy Bottom Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Re: bookmarks gone!

Post by :FI:Moe » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Check C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Favorites.

If when you get to C:\Documents and Settings\ you see two folders with a name similar to your user name, then the original account may have become corrupt and windows created a new one for you. If this is the case then causes for the corrupted user could be bad hard disk or bad memory or an overheating northbridge.

How's the computer behaving lately? Temperatures OK?
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:12 pm

I already found a backup copy of my bookmarks in C:\Documents and Settings\ ... whatever, but do not know how to reinstate it.

Temps are all fine and Friday's and Sunday's co-ops ran fine. The biggest problem I found last week was a hidden case fan filter

in front of my two 74G Raptors that was completely clogged. I'm still apprehensive about the crashes because I haven't flown

for more than two hours yet. 1.5 - 2 hrs being the old break point. I've held off getting a new NB fan because the one you mentioned

doesn't have a third wire for temp. monitoring. I'm waiting for my 'puter's mom, (Joe at Magnum PC), to send a new one. I'm still

not looking forward to taking my motherboard out. <shutter!>

Thx,

Fal (Da DAAAH da-duh) con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:28 pm

It easy taking the motherboard out mate just remember to wear rubber souled shoes LOL. :lol: If you can get an anti static wrist band with a cable and a clip on the end that would be better.

Wardog :D 8)
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:41 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:I already found a backup copy of my bookmarks in C:\Documents and Settings\ ... whatever, but do not know how to reinstate it.
In Firefox go to Bookmarks/Organize bookmarks and under File is option to Import/export from file or IE

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:18 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:I already found a backup copy of my bookmarks in C:\Documents and Settings\ ... whatever, but do not know how to reinstate it.

Temps are all fine and Friday's and Sunday's co-ops ran fine. The biggest problem I found last week was a hidden case fan filter

in front of my two 74G Raptors that was completely clogged. I'm still apprehensive about the crashes because I haven't flown

for more than two hours yet. 1.5 - 2 hrs being the old break point. I've held off getting a new NB fan because the one you mentioned

doesn't have a third wire for temp. monitoring. I'm waiting for my 'puter's mom, (Joe at Magnum PC), to send a new one. I'm still

not looking forward to taking my motherboard out. <shutter!>

Thx,

Fal (Da DAAAH da-duh) con
How are your HDD temps? Raptors are known for being hot and noisy as well as blisteringly fast.

The third wire on a fan is for RPM monitoring not temp monitoring. That fan is a one speed deal which cools well and keeps quiet. The temp sensors will be on the northbridge chip itself or on the motherboard.

Taking out a motherboard is easy if you take it nice and slow and document as you go.
1. Turn off machine, remove power cable from powers supply and remove all peripherals from I/O port on back of motherboard (mouse, keyboard, trackIR, etc.)
2. Remove all add-in cards from motherboard (graphics cards, soundcards, etc.)
3. Unplug all cables from the motherboard. The HDD actvity LED and power switch cables always cause trouble (this is where the documentation comes in, photographic is best).
4. Unscrew the million motherboard screws (really 9-12).
5. Slide the motherboard about an 1/4 inch toward the front of case to free usb ports, etc. and lift it out carefully.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:50 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:... In Firefox go to Bookmarks/Organize bookmarks and under File is option to Import/export from file or IE

That worked Andrew, thx.

~~~

Thx Moe, I MEANT RPM. I'll try just taking the fan off and using some oil on it first. Might take a while to get the time.

F

:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:25 am

Odd choice of words...
Thx Moe, I MEANT RPM. I'll try just taking the fan off and using some oil on it first. Might take a while to get the time.
Since when does oiling your fan affect your clock? [-X

Oh. That clock. #-o
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:08 pm

On a similar note: I've just stripped my rig due to a second suspect HD frequent crashing etc.

1st was a total dust down and scrub up. Stripped the cooler block of my ATIx1600 and total clean of all fans with a stiff bristle artists brush and soapy water (taking care not to splash electrics and left to dry )

2 - re-assemble with new Power supply (the prime suspect for the cause of crashes as fan siezed some time ago and although fixed was probably too late). New geat paste for CPU and GPU

3 - Fire everything up and able to boot from SATA and IDE OS; though IDE install still crashes.

4- Install new SATA and clone from Old SATA using MaxBlast5 (Maxtor/Seagate utility). I need to go over this as I can boot from new drive with cable switched, but not with old drive disconnected.

To do - replace and clone IDE drive. Change a shedload of shortcuts for new drive letter assignments.

conclusions - Original SATA is OK. 8 years ain't bad for the other IDE one.

Speedfan etc can monitor voltages - but not current drain.

A custom case with seperate external housing for PSU might be a good idea

MaxBlast and "Jellybean" have been life savers.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:24 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:...

4- Install new SATA and clone from Old SATA using MaxBlast5 (Maxtor/Seagate utility). I need to go over this as I can boot from new drive with cable switched, but not with old drive disconnected.

Do you have an Nvidia chipset on your motherboard?
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:27 pm

:FI:Moe wrote:
Nope. Does that help or hinder?

I did get a hal.dll (going daisy- daisy and keeps calling me Dave :badgrin: ) error and will be trying Fixboot util from recovery console + some dabbling in the SATA control panel.

Next step then will be backup of the dodgy IDE drive.

Thats the (not so ) bad news. The good news is I've got a sponsor for a dual core setup. Any suggestions? Will still have to be on XP due to audio software

:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:41 pm

I know both DELL and HP still supply some of their top end dual core machine with XP. I know they can be a touch expensive but you get the build quality.

Failing that there are some cheeper companies such as ZOOSTORM that can supply a reasonable machine for you to build up from like mine.

Wardog 8) :beer: :beer: ^:)
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:24 pm

:FI:Wardog wrote:I know both DELL and HP still supply some of their top end dual core machine with XP. I know they can be a touch expensive but you get the build quality.

Failing that there are some cheeper companies such as ZOOSTORM that can supply a reasonable machine for you to build up from like mine.

Wardog 8) :beer: :beer: ^:)
Thanks for the tip, but -
Just talking components here. If we were taking that route(and budget) it would have to be a Mac.
Really just looking for an upgrade to bolt onto my sound card.

Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:27 am

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:
:FI:Moe wrote:
Nope. Does that help or hinder?

I did get a hal.dll (going daisy- daisy and keeps calling me Dave :badgrin: ) error and will be trying Fixboot util from recovery console + some dabbling in the SATA control panel.

Next step then will be backup of the dodgy IDE drive.

Thats the (not so ) bad news. The good news is I've got a sponsor for a dual core setup. Any suggestions? Will still have to be on XP due to audio software
Seen some weird things with Nvidia chipsets. Usually after motherboard bios upgrade or chipset driver upgrade. Can result in unbootable system. Something to do with a change in hardware address allocation for disk drives. Basically the hard drive moves house and doesn't leave a forwarding address. Fixboot or Fixmbr might do the job.

Also, I know it's a little obvious, but check your bios settings aren't resetting to default at every boot maybe due to a dead battery?

As for dual-core suggestions. I'm running an E8400 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard with 4GB DDR2.

The DS4 is more of an OCers board but there are plenty of good, cheap, solid P35 and X38 boards from Gigabyte, Abit, MSI and Asus. One of my friends got a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 and another got an Abit IP35-E. No complaints from them so far. Only real benefit of X38 is dual full speed PCI-E slots for ATi Crossfire setup.

Personally I think DDR3 isn't going to be worth the money in terms of performance/*insert-unit-of-currency* until the very end of this year at the earliest (Google Nehalem and X58 if interested).

If you do a lot of video encoding or sound editing you might benefit from a quad core like the Q9300 or Q9450.

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss a shopping list. ;-)