File Merging Freeware?

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

File Merging Freeware?

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed May 28, 2008 5:16 am

Sneaky- did'nt you post a link a while back for some kind of file merging freeware program? I've realized that I have to do some file editing with all the mods- I did a search in my Il2 folder and got about ten hits for "static.ini"!
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: File Merging Freeware?

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed May 28, 2008 5:21 am

:FI:Murph wrote:Sneaky- did'nt you post a link a while back for some kind of file merging freeware program? I've realized that I have to do some file editing with all the mods- I did a search in my Il2 folder and got about ten hits for "static.ini"!
I think it´s called WinMerge, Tim ... ^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed May 28, 2008 9:46 am

Thx Gen, thats the one

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed May 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Thanks guys- I noticed a post at AAA in which Sneaky said that the air, chief, rockets, ships,static, stationary and technics ini files should all be together in the same place. Should I have only one of each of these in my Mods folder?
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed May 28, 2008 6:08 pm

:FI:Murph wrote:Thanks guys- I noticed a post at AAA in which Sneaky said that the air, chief, rockets, ships,static, stationary and technics ini files should all be together in the same place. Should I have only one of each of these in my Mods folder?

Absoulutely, wrapper only reads first found. This was the root of Pikes troubles and many others. Usually manifests in being unable to save a mission in FMB.

Since the new static aircraft mod (for new slot AC ,spit mk 1 etc.) all these are safest put in

Mods\STD\com\maddox\il2\objects

Was a minor hitch with Canons Channel beta due to a missing object - now solved

BoB anyone?

BTW - be careful with winmerge sometimes a block will overwrite where you don't want it to.

seems to happen with large files (like my 1200 object statics ) for the most part it will do the job correctly , but Make backups first and if necessary do a manual copy/paste where it gets out of sync ( also happens with APT edit which I'm using and doesn't seem to be a way around it.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Thu May 29, 2008 1:25 am

So, once I've combined all of my various versions of these .ini files into one set, I should delete all other copies in my Mods folder (after making backup copies, of course)?
I've been having a lot of trouble trying to make default missions for QMB+ to use with the new maps- I keep getting "data file corrupt" error message when I try to use them in QMB. I suspect it may be because the game is not finding all of the correct stuff to use with the map.