A joystick question

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

A joystick question

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:33 am

S!

I have a Logitech`s force 3D pro. I´ve noticed that it takes conciderably more time to roll the plane to the right, than it does to roll to the left. I´m not sure is it because of the game, or is my joystick Kaput? Anyone else noticed this kind of problem? Also, it´s supposed to be force feedback joystick, but it doesn´t give any feedback, no matter what kind of maneuver i make...

So before i go and buy me a new stick, i´d like to make sure that that´s not a game related feature (torgue, filght model thingy or sumthin).. Is it even possible for a stick to break up like that?
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: A joystick question

Post by :FI:Wardog » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:23 am

I had one of these sticks a while ago and had exactly the same problems, Nothing I tried got the force feedback to work and when the rolling to the right it would take longer.

In the end I got so sick of having to roll to the left everytime I needed to break away quickly that I got rid of it and bought a cheap HOTAS set which even though it doesn't have force feedback works much better in the flying department :D I think it must be an general problem with those sticks.

Wardog 8) ^:)
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:05 pm

I think it must be an general problem with those sticks.
Just what i suspected... Well, i never liked this stick anyway, so i guess i´m gonna buy a new one as well... The problem is that at least in F-land, all the stores offer is this crappy force 3d, or some other logitech which doesn´t even have a twisting handle..

Thx for your input Wardog!! ^:)
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:08 pm

[rts_joystick]
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
FF=1
Check for FF=1 in conf.ini

Check the roll response by comparing ,say a Spit and a Yak (The engines on most Russian planes turn "the wrong way" ).

If it's not a torque effect you can check your joystick setup far better with:-
Il2 Joy Control An"essential" IMO anyway

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Thu May 01, 2008 11:13 am

Check the roll response by comparing ,say a Spit and a Yak (The engines on most Russian planes turn "the wrong way" ).

If it's not a torque effect you can check your joystick setup far better with:-
Il2 Joy Control An"essential" IMO anyway
Ok sneaky, i´ll do that! thx mate!
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Thu May 01, 2008 9:59 pm

It says FF=0 in my conf.ini file.. That FF stands for force feedback, right? So i´ll just change it to 1 and save the file?

I tried Yak-9, LA-7 and bf109 on single player (with realism setting full real), and there was no problem at all, the planes rolled just the way they are supposed to. But when i tried the same with multiplayer, a 90 degree roll to the right lasted about a second longer than it did to the left (and that´s a long time in a dogfight). Weird, eh?
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri May 02, 2008 1:24 am

Rgr on the "FF=1"

as for the roll response in multi - think you summed it up - "Weird"

Could try boosting up the aileron axis with joy control ( You can set over 100% response- which is handy with flaky pots on your stick , but that woulod show up offline too. )

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Sat May 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Today i bought myself a new stick.. And although the city i live in, is concidered a big one by the Finnish standards, It was damn hard to find a joystick, which wasn´t a logitech.. But finally i found my liking.. A Saitek Cyborg Evo.. The low price of the stick aroused my suspicions, but at least for now, it´s perfect! Takes some time to get used to, but with that Saitek, i can actually dogfight.. All what that logi "piece of junk" tech was good for, was flying bombers...

It´s amazing that a joystick is much harder to find nowadays than it was a few years ago... Sure, if you want a Pad-contoller you can find it from just about anywhere, except grocery store.. Damn those gameconsoles... i hate those things... They will corrupt a good old fashioned PC gaming...

Anyhoo, problem solved, Logitech out of the window, and a new stick :D
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sat May 03, 2008 5:36 pm

So whats wrong with flying bombers? still need a good stick.

I've had an Evo ffor 4 years and still doing good service.

Dont bin the logi, can be used for trim, pitch or whatever on the throttle.( Igot a £3 deal on one from the charity shop for just that)

Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Sun May 04, 2008 1:15 pm

So whats wrong with flying bombers?
Nothing wrong, it´s actually quite fun if you got ship targets to skip bomb.. I never quite figured out that level-bombing-thingy :lol:
Dont bin the logi, can be used for trim, pitch or whatever on the throttle
I never thought of that.. Great idea! Thx, mate! ^:)
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Tue May 06, 2008 3:13 am

:FI:Sapper-FIN wrote:.. But finally i found my liking.. A Saitek Cyborg Evo.. :D
Sapper-FIN that is the same joystick I have, I'm left handed so I needed something I could configure. I've had no issues with it, easy to program I also like the multiple adjustments you are able to make with it. Over all I think you will be satisfied.