Network settings

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Network settings

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:31 pm

I've set my il2 and hyperlobby settings to 1500 (14.4), to see if that helps with any laggings problems. I'm not sure if everyone has to do the same as opinions vary on this subject, for me as a host on Sundays, it seems to make a difference to the pings at least,when I set it to 14.4.
Perhaps some of the more interweb astute folk here could shed more light on this subject?

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Re: Network settings

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:40 pm

Someone explained this once, (cant remember where).

Seems that if you've got bandwidth of " X" and "N" players then you share X/Y of available band to each.

So setting the connection speed in Il2 will send/receive smaller and more frequent "packets".

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:44 pm

I just wish my NOTWERK would connect with the game.

I've tried every conceivable combination of setting with this damned router and it still gets TIME OUTS. Tried for 45 minutes one afternoon to see if the router would "learn" to let it through.:evil: Even went so far as to put this comp into the DMZ and no joy.

The kid's XBOX has no difficulty connecting, TEAMSPEAK connects, but no game.

Even installed a pure vanilla 4.08m and set H/L to see that and it still doesn't work. :(

I called their tech support in Pakistan or India and he had me do everything I've already done.. FFS :|
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Seems that if you've got bandwidth of " X" and "N" players then you share X/Y of available band to each.

Its 10 - 12 kbs per player, my upload is approx 380 so I should in theory be able to host 36 players max, so the numbers we have on Sundays should'nt be a problem, but still we have problems with lagging.
So setting the connection speed in Il2 will send/receive smaller and more frequent "packets".
Does this mean that everyone should set their connection speed to the maximum permitted?

Vin
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Guess its all down to some detective work.

Missions are lean an' mean, so shouldn't be a problem.

I think most people have cache enabled ; so skins shouldn't be a problem - you can always turn off skin DL.

How do things run when joining other servers?

Any problems hosting other titles ? (eg LOMAC)

Check QOS settings on router?

Could it be a dodgy line filter?

Double check what else is running with Task Manager.

(Yeah, checking the obvious - but I discovered that "Advanced Windows Care" was chewing up 33% of CPU the other day with Il2 running, or attempting to run but not smoothly. First time in a year that it's happened)

Volume of other local traffic on the net can impact performance. My connection slows down 4:30pm weekdays like clockwork - it's when all the kids get in from school :lol: A bit like how the demand for electric goes up during commercial breaks on TV - everyone putting kettles on.

You can double check speed and ping at "speedtest.net" try a few locations and try at different times to compare results.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Willie, I'm bangin' my head against the wall with you on this. Care to PM me screenies of your settings?

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Went to the QoS thingy, not sure what I was looking for, but theres a bit were you can give priority to certain programmes, so added il2 and gave it the highest.

As for the line filter?????????????????

No problems with the CPU as far as I can see.

I have 66 processes running, from anti-virus to svchost, not too comfortable with tinkering in that department.

Vin
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:16 pm

44 processes here. The thing to look for is any that re using large % of CPU. If you find a prog hogging the CPU check what it does and determine if safe to close for the session.

Anti Virus should be kept running (as long as scans and updates are disabled during the session - if any concerns update etc. prior to session)

:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:25 pm

:FI:WillieOFS wrote:I just wish my NOTWERK would connect with the game.
Even installed a pure vanilla 4.08m and set H/L to see that and it still doesn't work. :(
Willie you might have tried this,

HyperLobby requires the following ports to be opened:

1698 TCP & UDP

21000 TCP & UDP

Hyperlobby also requires ICMP echo reply protocol for latency calculations, so you may want to disable Block Anonymous Internet Requests (or the equivalent) if you want people to see your ping status.

Here is the link I found it at;

http://bunyap2w1.com/SFP1_Wiki/index.ph ... Guidelines