A technical question concerning graphics...

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
Mutzy
Boardie

A technical question concerning graphics...

Post by Mutzy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:51 am

......which then spiralled out of control and made hyperlobby not work! :lol:

I have a 24inch widescreen monitor. While playing IL2, I have two large black strips on the left and right side of the picture. I cannot avail of a resolution of 1920 x1200 at present. my IL2 installation is under C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\il2fb.exe

Some genious on the UBI forums suggested here that if I transfer the installation of IL2 into a different folder, other than PROGRAM FILES, Say for example C:\Games\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\il2fb.exe, that this would allow me to eliminate the two black strips on either side of the picture.

This worked perfectly. And so I went to load up hyperlobby for a spot of online gaming. Here is where the fun begins:

On loading up Hyperlobby, it asks me to select a directory path for IL2FB.exe. It finds the directory itself, i.e. C:\Games\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\il2fb.exe, and so i select this and press "connect". This is fine and normally what you would expect.

1) I see a server that I fancy playing on and so click on it, and hit CONNECT. The Hyperlobby application minimises and all is looking good so far.

2) However, the IL2 Splash screen or menu never appears, and hyperlobby maximises again, telling me that "connection is successful". (Game doesn't start at all)

It seems like I have everything done right, however, when I close out of Hyperlobby and restart it, it asks me again to select the game directory which IL2FB.exe is located. The points 1) and 2) above happen again and turns into a vicious circle.

I've restored the UBI file back to PROGRAM FILES for the moment and can connect and play perfectly to gaming servers, but the graphic Issue (black strips) remains a problem. Can anyone help me with the Hyperlobby Issue? I'd love my full screen back :D

Cheers, and thanks for reading.

Ken
:FI:Mutzy

Aka: Zippy GorillaChunks

Yeah?
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Re: A technical question concerning graphics...

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:05 am

:? I got the same problem, however, I'm using the "PROGRAM FILES" etc and mine does EXACTLY the same as yours...... :evil:

FFS!!
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:11 am

Try one of the resolutions listed in "Il2 setup.exe". There are reports that in IL2 ; widescreen res. simply crops the top and bottom of the full display.( I can't vouch for that as I'm still on an old fashioned CRT).

Remember seeing some fixes of various forums:-
If you've not already tried, google "il2 widescreen monitors" for several forum articles.

As for Hyperlobby , I have no problem with "custom install paths".

Rather than let HL search , I open the folder in Windows and copy/ paste the path from explorer direct into HL. Have also seen it suggested that you make a copy of il2FB.exe and name it "il2.exe".

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:54 pm

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)