Good Tech Site with Lots of Detailed Guides

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Good Tech Site with Lots of Detailed Guides

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:21 pm

In my quest to upgrade and reformat/partition my hard drive (still waiting for components) I have been reading/printing various tech articles to squeeze every ounce of power out of my system. Found a lot of interesting guides at this site http://www.pcstats.com/beginners.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; some may find useful.

So quickly run over there, read some for the first time, try it out, say WOW I didn't know that, then return here and claim otherwise. ;)

Of course I knew all 101 tips, not to mention those other 99 ones. :^o

Another great place is BlackViper's as some have mentioned.

TactS!
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:41 am

Against better advice, on my last format/OS upgrade to a LEGAL version of XPpro.. :badgrin: I put my game on a 10G partition of second hard drive.

It runs better now than ever before.

My 2nd HD is WD 160G that I bought for 100 bucks after the rebate. I figured I could spare the room and partitioned it just for the game, hoping that it would keep the "search time" down during gameplay.

I'll check out the site.

Another thing that I found that helps IMMMENSELY is FSAUTOSTART. I can start my game with or without it and the FR is much better with all that stuff shut down. When I close the game all systems come back to normal. ;)
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:31 am

Good show Will!

I don't have a second hard drive, but if I did I would put a static swap file at its beginning, which is suppose to be even better than a static one in a partition near the outer edge of the main (only) hard drive.

After I tweak everything (when I reformat) I am going to test re-booting with msconfig (and turning "everything" off) versus a Normal boot and see if there will be any real benefit. There certainly would be prior to tweaking the regular OS. Of course not having NIS and stuff (offline only) should help a little.

-----------

What's your specs btw Willie? You expressed some concern about running PF 4.0. Are you really in trouble with your hardware mate?

TactS!
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:16 am

FSAUTO START will do the same thing for you as MSCONFIG a LOT easier.

Specs
2.53GCPU w/533FSB
1G RAMBUS ( PC800 )
9800 Pro @ 128
WD 40G
WD 160G
Intel mobo 850 series

etc etc
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:07 pm

That's a great system Willie. Why so many problems mate? With the right tweaking you should be able to play on Perfect mode, and certainly smoothly on Excellent mode. Why the concern about 4.0 version? ;)