Using Customized Icons in Offline Campaigns

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Using Customized Icons in Offline Campaigns

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:16 pm

:FI:Up-n-at-'em asked me about this last night.

If you would like to start migrating from full icons to customized ones (and eventually none at all ;) ) consider editing your rcu file found in the IL-2 gaming directory.

Here's my rcu file as an example:

@set fast off
@set echo on
@set alias on
@set history 20
@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show
@a on fps START SHOW
@a off fps STOP SHOW
@a defaulticons mp_dotrange DEFAULT
@a noicons mp_dotrange COLOR 0.005 DOT 25 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 0.005 ID 0.005 NAME 0.005
@a irish mp_dotrange COLOR 0.005 DOT 25 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 2.0 ID 0.005 NAME 2.0
@a greatergreen mp_dotrange COLOR 0.005 DOT 25 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 1.0 ID 0.005 NAME 0.005
@a warclouds mp_dotrange COLOR 0.005 DOT 25 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 2.0 ID 0.005 NAME 0.005

You can open/edit the file with Notepad. Obviously name and make your mp_dotrange settings how ever you want them.

So, setup your campaign, and make sure you choose to allow Icons. Unfortunately you will need to change the icons at the beginning of each mission :( , but simply press [SHIFT]+[TAB] to open the console, then type the name to your icon setting, then hit [ENTER] and close the console by pressing [SHIFT]+[TAB] again.

For example, the standard one I use with the squad is called "irish". And there you have your customized icons! :D

TactS!

P.S. You did great last night :FI:Up-n-at-'em with no icon assistance!
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:59 am

Thanks for putting up this info- I'm enjoying these icon settings. I think something like this is really MORE realistic than no icons. A PC monitor cannot render images clearly enough to accurately represent the distances at which a pilot could identify aircraft in real life. Besides that, US aircraft had "identify, friend or foe" radio equipment, which actually worked quite well and enabled a pilot to ID unknown "dots" at some distance. Not to mention the fact that the game does'nt render canopy flashes or other reflections, that helped pilots on both side to spot other aircraft.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:33 am

Glad I could help you with your hosting problem tonight mate. :)
arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:44 pm

Agree, Murph. I like flying with customized icons