Rudder pedals

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Rudder pedals

Post by :FI:Moog » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:59 pm

I've got an X-52 and TrackIR 2 connected via USB to my PC, and no other gaming peripherals. CH rudder pedals or similar 'proper' flight sim pedals are a bit too expensive for me at the moment but I've noticed two or three models of PC gaming steering wheels in local shops that come with pedals and that are very reasonably priced! So here's my beef:

In theory, if I bought a wheel/pedals combo, would it be possible to use just the pedals in Pacific Fighters and other sims? It's not clear on the wheels I've seen whether or not the wheel and pedals separately occupy one USB port each or whether they share one port between them (like the X-52 throttle/stick does). If they did share the same USB port, would I be able to turn off the wheel altogether so that only the pedals sent a signal to the computer?

Each set I've seen features two pedals (no doubt designed to resemble accelerator and brake) so presumably each one is graduated as opposed to simply controlling an on/off function... but I know that IL-2/PF reads the rudder as one axis and not two separate controls.

I know they wouldn't have toe-brakes and things but I'd like to try the pedals out anyways. Any suggestions? Anyone have experience of a similar set-up?

Play It Cool

-Moog
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Gorgeous_Gorge

Post by Gorgeous_Gorge » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:23 pm

Hey Moog

I have a microsoft sidewinder wheel, and i had a the same idea of combining pedals for rudder. However i haven't succesfully managed this yet.....

In answer to your questions, my wheel just has one USB plug which the wheel and the pedals both go through. I haven't been albe to use just the pedals and my joystick at the same time(seems to be a conflict in the game controllers bit in control panel), although i haven't spent very long trying. And yes the pedals are graduated, the pedals can be on seperate or combined axis, but i have yet to get the seperate axis to work in certain games. This is controlled by the software that comes with it though which may have something to do with it

Hope that helps :D

GG ~S
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:52 pm

Ya know ...

the faster you pump your pedals ...

the faster your plane goes.
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:53 pm

Yeh I could use the wheel and stick together fine but not as the rudder as they are not seperated.
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:41 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Ya know ...

the faster you pump your pedals ...

the faster your plane goes.
Always wondered what the foot rests were for.

I feel :idea: ......

.....enlightened :roll:

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

The only way...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:40 am

...you're going to find out is to talk to the vendors.

If the pedals are on a separate USB connection you may have a chance to save some bucks, but I haven't heard of anyone succeeding in this noble endeavor. :(

Something to do with the resistance value of the auto pedals vs the same for the rudder sets.

I'd love to use my ThrustMaster pedals, but haven't found a satisfactory USB adaptor, yet.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:16 am

Heloego,
I have a set of Ch pro pedals but they are gameport not USB. I was thinking of getting an adapter to be able to use them. Is this not possible? are the adapters crap then? I brought em for Longbow2 and haven't used em since, such a waste! :roll:
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

I've...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:02 am

...tried using adapters, too.

Haven't been able to get one to work for PS2-to-USB. TRASH! Decided to buy a new keyboard.

Have not tried adapting to gameport. If the adapter is cheap, it's worth a shot, but I've heard they are crap, too.

No personal experience, so I only have the word of others on that issue.

Sorry. :cry:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x