Saitek X-52

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
Kcid
Baby Boardie

Saitek X-52

Post by Kcid » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:53 pm

Has any of you already seen the X-52? looks kinda cool!!
I wonder what the price difference is with the X-45.
You can see the joystick here:
http://www.saitek.com/row/prod/x52.htm
It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:59 pm

well in the U.S. you can get the X45 for around 85 dollars, at least thats what i got the stick and throttle for about a year ago. the X52 goes for around 129 dollars in the US. i've heard good reports on the X52 so far. ;)
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

I still...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:46 am

...like my X36.

X45 looks ok, but is a bit too modern for an old codger like me. The X52 is too over the top for a WW2 Sim, IMHO.

Nice exercise in Industrial Engineering, tho.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:13 am

The only think I dislike about my X-45 is the silly "finger guard" over the front of it.

And they kept that in the X52!

:roll: :?: :roll:
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Baderslegs
Postmaster

Post by Baderslegs » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:37 pm

The X45 is brilliant.

Only drawback no FF.

Now if they'd made the X52 with FF then I'd says its worth the money but otherwise you're only paying for some jazzed up, fancy, mutton dressed as lamb X45.

My tuppence worth.
Originality and strangeness are good,
blind conformity and stupidity are unforgivable.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

:FI:Baderslegs
:FI:Cider
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Cider » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:35 am

got my x52 yesterday.

as i stopped smoking a few months ago i saved a surprising amount of money and spent it on a x52, a usb headset and a present to tame the missus :lol: :lol: .

so far i figured out how to programm this toy but it looks like i have to learn to fly in fbaeppf again. the loss of force-feedback resulted in numerous stalls and spins...
the programming possibilitys seem to be endless, switching profiles inflight is a very cool feat. the stick also features a so called double-trigger, means if you pull it halfway there´s only your mg´s firing, if you pull it full you get cannons (or both, depends on programming).

the techno-look is a bit disturbing in the first moment, but it´s nothing a good airbrush can´t change :lol: . the lights on the fcs can be dimmed, it looks cool in a dark room...

i will try to get this thingie programmed till sunday(at least the basic functions) and see how it works in a partial hostile environment :lol: .

S!

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off.
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:40 pm

I tried one out at a local computer store yesterday. I have to say the feel of the joystick is much improved over the X45. It is much softer, centers better, and it doesn't have the break out force/sticky problems of the X45. It feels more like the Cyborg Evo or Cyborg 3D Gold but with and even longer throw to the stick. No force feedback though, they should make a version with the stick having the same force feedback as the Evo Force.

Cider what stick where you using before? I like to use my X45 throttle matched with my MS FFB stick no reason you can't mix things up :).

s!
Snoop
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Cider » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:18 am

i had a ms ff2, so the transition to the saitek is a bit hard for me. i had to set the in-game axis-sensitivity (pitch and roll) to 90-100 on ALL digits (1-10). but slowly i´m getting used to it.

i thought about using the x52-throttle with the ff2 BUT the mode-switch and the function to scroll through saved profiles resides on the flightstick.......

programming the x52 is pure joy. makes one think about different profiles for every plane in fbaeppf :lol: .
with 3 submodes and pinkie-shifted functions of course. :lol: :lol:

seriously i think about 2 profiles: for single engined fighters and for
twin/four engined bombers.

S!

:FI:CIder
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Did your MS stick die on you mate? Why would you change sticks? ;)

With TIR I have been able to put all my "views" on the hatswitch, but it indeed would be nice to have the buttons that your new stick has. :(

Enjoy!
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Cider » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:47 pm

the ms-joystick is still in good condition :D

but as i also play fs2004 and freefalcon3 you can't have enough buttons, sliders, rotarys and toggles the x52 offers. comes also handy when controlling multi-engined planes properly without buying a expensive throttle-quadrant.

:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:16 am

I would place the X52 stick to the left of the throttle and use it for buttons that you didn't need subsecond response time. Then use the MS FFB stick for flying and put all the time critical actions on that stick. This way you still get all the extra buttons on the X52 stick but still use force feedback. That's what I've done with my X45 it is a button bay and I only need the keyboad to type msgs in the chat window.

[X52 stick][X52 throttle] )=== :D ====( [MS stick]

That is Cider controlling all his new joysticks :D

s!
Snoop
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:41 pm

Gah! I found an offer on polish Il-2 forum - a guy bought two X52s in the US and wants to sell them - 50 Polish zlotys more expensive ( in this case) from X45...I wish I had the money for it. Looks great, maybe it is also great when it comest to precision etc, blah blah blah....

Macca
ImageImageImage