Wireless Router a No-Go For Hosting?

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Wireless Router a No-Go For Hosting?

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Last week Mikester spent a couple hours trying to help both Helo and I to get our wireless routers (mine a netgear, his a linksys) set up with proper port forwarding to host il2. It appears in both cases that port forward was correctly set, but still no luck.
My question is this; has anyone here ever been able to host using a wireless router? Mikester tells me he doesn't think it's really possible.
Both Dan and I can join others' missions with no problem, we just can't host.
Other people in my household use the wireless network, so bypassing it really isn't an option for me.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Re: Wireless Router a No-Go For Hosting?

Post by :FI:Mikester » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi Gents, Thanks for listening to me that night! or putting up with me!!

Now that I have a level head maybe we can go over some stuff step by step.. Before we do so can you just have a check in your il2 conf.ini under Net, check to see if you have the correct settings. For my port forwarding see below. As you can see the local host is my main PC's internal or local ip address, my local port is set to 21000 as I requested and remote port set to 21000 also.

[NET]
speed=5000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=1
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=192.168.1.74
socksHost=

Another thing, your wireless ip address, could you set your wireless address to a static address, you would then need to reserve this IP on your router for that PC incase it gives out this address to another device, you would end up with a conflict.

Once this is all done you know have a static internal address. It's possible your router may give you the same address anyway but i'd set this anyway just to be sure.

If your not sure how to reserve an ip, just do a bit of google home work. You should have a DHCP table in your router settings. This is the place to specify a static address for devices.

Once you have confirmed the above let me know how it goes.

Another thing... reboot your router when you make any changes. Port forwarding can sometimes only take effect once the router has been restarted.
:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:39 am

I was there. It was Hysterical!
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:44 am

I have tried setting a static IP using the program called PortForward. It didn't help at the time, but I did not restart the router as you suggest, nor did I have my config.ini set at you suggest. I guess this would be the next thing to try next time I'm online with you guys.
I do recall that the last time I tried setting a static IP, my ISP (Comcast) went ahead and changed my IP so that it no longer matched the static, causing the network to go tits up.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:26 am

:FI:Murph wrote:I do recall that the last time I tried setting a static IP, my ISP (Comcast) went ahead and changed my IP so that it no longer matched the static, causing the network to go tits up.
Murph, That should not happen, Here's how it works.

you have an internal and external address, your internal address is all configured via your router through a service called DHCP.

DHCP is setup to lease IP address's when requested. If you switch on a device in your home, laptop/ipad/PC they all broadcast a request for any available DHCP server to provide an address. DHCP sends out a reply broadcast to say "ill give you an address" they shake hands and boom, u have an address.

It's possible the port forwarding address you setup in your router could be forwarded to some other device for the simple reason you haven't set a static address. The address you set in the router was given to another device the next day when it started up before your main il2 computer.

Suddenly your trying to host il2 and the trafic is being forwarded to the XBox downstairs or your Mrs IPad :shock:

To get round this issue you set a static address on your network or wireless network card. You then go to router setup and look for an option "DHCP Table" this table should show all devices that have connected to your netword and the address given out. Should also be an option to "always use this address" or something similar.

If your ISP changes your address it will be the extrnal address only, so that doesn't matter. Everything you change is on the internal setup.

if your not sure about setting a static address on your wireless card, don't bother as long as the DHCP table is set to give out the same address to your il2 PC that should be enough.
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:26 pm

If your ISP changes your address it will be the extrnal address only, so that doesn't matter.
but if he is giving out ip address 1.2.3.4 as the address to connect to and his isp changes then people won't be able to connect!
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:16 pm

If your external address changes that doesn't matter, you just have to find out what it has changed to, give out that IP and the router will still direct it to your pc's internal address.

if you type in "what is my ip address" in google it will confirm what your current external address is. TS also picks up your current IP in one of the setting menu's