Tirpitz mission

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Tirpitz mission

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:03 am

By popular request - well one of you asked :D - I have started a Tirpitz bombing mission.

Loosely based on the carrier aircraft attacks on the ship as it lay at anchor in a Norwegian fjord in Spring 1944.

Red fly Seafires, Avengers and Fulmars (as a replacement for the Fireflys actually used but not available in game). Blue fly Me110's and 190's - small in number, but you will have a target rich environment if you opt to fly blue!

Carrier take offs will be needed, good weather, moderate to heavy AAA over the target. Skip bombng not recommended - new bomb fusing in latest patch seems to make that very tricky. Flat bombing from 300 to 500 feet seems to work. Aiming is difficult of course, but it is not a small target!

Should be ready for Sunday. ^:)
Olegs stalker

:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Re: Tirpitz mission

Post by :FI:Armitage » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Ohh after Richards request last week I start one as well. I couldn't find the correct fjord on the map though so picked one at random.

Will we be working up to Lancasters ? (maybe use the B17 instead?)
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Correct Fjord is further north than what we have on our map - plus I checked Google maps and the IL2 map takes considerable liberties with the geography of Norway :lol:

I did the same as you and just used the furthest north fjord.

We could do a "Lanc-a-like" mission. Maybe the Pe8 would be a better substitute with the big 5000kg bomb they carry being a substitute for the Tallboy? Mind you dropping that from 10000 feet and getting a hit would be a challenge.
Olegs stalker

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Got some missions floating around for the Emden and Konigsberg missions, and maybe a Tirpitz template map.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Takk deg Snikete !

Fålcøn

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.