Random Expert Server

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Random Expert Server

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:07 pm

I took the liberty of registering our Squad for this server. Anyone wishing to join in can intially register here, then join the Squad with this link.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Re: Random Expert Server

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks Vin, I managed to join so there are 3 of us there now.

For any interested, most of the 'how it works' for this server is found under the 'Info' tab on the same site Vin's links take you to, and only take 5-10 minutes to read.

One important thing: if you go >7 days without flying a sortie on the server, you become an 'inactive' pilot. Need to read closer to make sure, but this may mean that any planes you have added to the squad's 'hangar' would go away.
With this in mind, I flew a quick sortie last night & ferried a plane to a forward airfield, since I'll be away from the PC until Sunday.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:52 pm

I just did the same Larry, flew a ferry mssion to keep me current, seemed the smartest thing to do as there was only twenty minutes left on the round.

Vin
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Some thrown together videos of myself and Frank on the Random Expert server. Excuse the very amateurish video start.

Taking off
https://youtu.be/_pGcQ_49AgE

Targets ahead
https://youtu.be/zakgIeA5z60

Safe return
https://youtu.be/jyPOP1W1GAM

Vin
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks a lot for your efforts, Vin! :) =D]

BTW, here are the stats for our squadron on the Random Expert server ...

Gen "Out!" osse ^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:11 pm

No problem Frank, maybe I should work on my editing skills though. If only we could get a couple of PE2s and bomb their installations deep inside their back yard.

Vin
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Funny you mentioned it, Vin!

I've just tried that a couple of minutes ago and wanted to hit one of their front depots. ;) For some reason I was able to add four 250s to my Pe-2 and I hit ... just a single ground target. But I was able to get back alive! 8)

Gen "The lucky one" osse :)

Image Image
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:40 am

Haven't viewed the movies, but I will - thanks for posting Vin!
Yeah, we need to do a nice group effort together next time we can work it out. Ideally we will communicate with the team & all concentrate on 1-2 targets at a time, using local air superiority to wipe them out one by one.
Meanwhile I am planning to fly at least once during the week on my own, just to earn planes and/or mods, and ensure I remain an "active" pilot, since you'll drop off if you don't fly for 7 days.

On Sunday I took a Peshka, took out some targets dive bombing with 6 x 100kg bombs, and returned on fumes & 1 damaged engine. That earned me another heavy plane (I think), and 1 modification.

Here's the scoop on mods, from the server's website. (Stuff in brackets is my editing, for easier reading.)

"Modification (Mod) limitation
Every player has [his own] personal number of available mods.
Mods are not tied to [any] certain airplane. Mod type does not matter. What actually counts is merely the quantity of mods available. At start every player has 1 modification ([maximum of] 5). Any player is able to [earn] more mods by [completing] combat flights (or operational sorties) when either enemy plane(s) were shot down or ground target(s) were destroyed. Every such sortie [completed earns] you 1 [additional] mod. Player loses the amount of mods equal to the number of mods installed on the plane that was lost.
When flying from rear airfields you are entitled to install mods ([if] you have any) on heavy planes only!"
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:54 pm

I'll keep popping in to either get more Aircraft or try my hand at bombing stuff, mind you I'll have to try offline first, as I don't have a clue about the bomb sights.

Vin
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:08 am

Good to know how to level bomb once in a while, but you don't need the bomb sight to dive bomb. Just start high (>2500m recommended, clouds allowing), keep your speed up, and drop 'em all in a single pass, then head home. Over highly defended targets you'll need to do some weaving around before & after bomb release to throw off the guns, and you may take some hits but more often than not they won't be critical.

Last night I flew a Peshka to an enemy artillery site. Clouds between 2200-3000m made things a little challenging, but I used the tactic above & scored hits with 3 of my 4 x 250 kg eggs. Heard a couple of hits on my plane, but nothing on the crew, engines, fuel or anything else serious. Flew quickly home & put her back in the nest. Should be up to 2 mods earned now.

I plan to fly some this Friday (likely between 8-11pm for you guys). Let me know if any of you can join me. Otherwise, we'll do it Sunday.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 am

Larry, I'll get on for Friday, I'll get on our comms .

Vin
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:33 am

Sounds good Vin. I'll hunt for you. Any idea what time? FNBF starts at 1900 UTC and still has room for more people. I signed up for 'reserve' (i.e. 'maybe'). So, I can skip that altogether & just fly Random Expert, or fly FNBF a little first if you're going to be later than 1900.
Or of course, you could sign up for FNBF & join me there if interested, then continue after on Random Expert (RE) if we like.
I'm fine with any choice.
If you like, PM both Frank and me (perhaps Neil too?), and we can work it out that way & they will see our plans.
cheers!
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:51 pm

I will more likely be on at 20:00ish, so probably miss the FNBN, I'll jump on random expert and stay out of trouble until you get on.

Vin
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:28 am

Apparently the Random Expert server is down right now. It's not in the server list, and saw some conversation about that in the server's forum. When I flew it this week, the Germans were across the Volga & had pushed the Reds to the edge of the map, so my guess is they won and we're just waiting on them to start the whole thing over.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:49 am

Hey chaps,

I'm sorry but obviously I couldn't make it yesterday night. I'll be Sunday online and I hope we can get some nice missions one the RE server done ... ;)

Gen "Busy" osse :)

Image Image