FAQ the Fightin' Irish!

Everything that got nothing to do with games we play ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

FAQ the Fightin' Irish!

Post by :FI:Moog » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:34 pm

Q: What is the Fightin' Irish Platoon and why might I wish to become a member?

A: First things first, you had better know what the Fightin' Irish Platoon is not - a clan. This isn't the sort of gaming organisation that weeds out the weakest players and seeks to recruit those who can devote all of their time in order to throw stats in the faces of other clans. There are no ranks here, no frowning on new players, nothing like that. No, we're not a clan... The Fightin' Irish Platoon is a gaming community focused around the Call of Duty series but extending to fun and friendship on the forums (and sometimes in real life too), laughs, and hefty alcohol intake, above and beyond the call of duty.

Q: Sounds promising, I'm still interested. What's the next step?

A: Register your nickname on the Platoon's forums. Have a good look around. Read as many posts as you can to get a better impression of the place and the people. Show some initiative! Post a 'hello' message on the Off-Topic board at http://endlager.net/fis/phpBB2/viewforu ... 5e7a9e2f51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... Tell us a bit about yourself (as much or as little as you like), spin a yarn, mention some interesting facts, Beatles or Stones, wine before or after beer, how long is a 12cm piece of string, how many roads must a man walk down before he gets to the off-license... see where this is going? Personality, not gaming ability, is what we look for in potential applicants. Be warned: a lot of people post their 'hello' and then disappear forever... NOT because we take them behind the bike sheds and then hide the body, but because they assumed the Platoon was just another clan and, as a result, was not to their liking. Do some research before you jump in - otherwise we may well take you behind the bike shed and then hide your body for wasting our time!!!

Q: Okay, I'm a little afraid for my life but, darn it, the Platoon sounds even more appealing now. Enough talkin', how do I get online and play Call of Duty with you guys?

A: Prick up yer ears for here comes the technical stuff!
- Please ensure you have Call of Duty and United Offensive installed and patched up to the latest versions (1.5 and 1.51 respectively; patches are available from the official CoD website)
[The Platoon is currently in the process of switching over to Call of Duty 2 but for the forseeable future we will continue to host a CoD:UO server part-time. No official patches have yet been released for CoD2]
- If you're using the original Call of Duty game and the United Offensive add-on, visit the Platoon's downloads page, accessible from the main website at http://www.endlager.net/FIP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click on 'COD/UO maps'. Download the official FIP Mappack and any other maps that take your fancy. These files should be unzipped into your game's UO folder.
- Download the latest version of Qtracker from http://www.qtracker.com/download-sectio ... ion=0,2,13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and follow the installation instructions. Run the program and allow it to scan your harddrive for installed games. Once this is done, look at the list of games on the left-hand side of the screen. Right-click on 'Call of Duty' and select New->Server (this is also the case for CoD2, the only difference being that the folder will be called - wait for it - Call of Duty 2). Where it says, 'Folder to add server to', type FIP or Fightin' Irish or something similar, and where it says 'Server address' type 82.217.200.110 The FIP server should now appear in the main window of Qtracker. Right click on it and select Connect->Connect Now. Now grab your rifle and prepare for action!

Q: I've posted a few messages on the forum and have been hanging out on the CoD server, and now I'm convinced that I want to join. Is there some process of initiation, possibly involving cricket bats and Tabasco sauce? Ooh I hope so...

A: Great, fresh meat... by this stage you've probably managed to convince the Platoon members that you're honest, trustworthy, and could be righfully considered as a potential member. If so, you'll be contacted by one of the Platoon admins and bestowed with all the glorious privilidges that accompany membership, including a magnum of champagne, a bevvy of gorgeous blondes (male or female... or both??), a giant novely membership card, and the right to wear the :FI: prefix before your nickname*
*The FIP reserves the right to withold any or all of the above

Q: Now I'm really feeling the love, is there anything else I should know?

A: Yes, firstly I think we may be talking about two different kinds of love here... but anyway... a lot of the Platooners use a program called TeamSpeak (http://www.goteamspeak.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which enables voice communication independent of Call of Duty or any other games. The FI TeamSpeak server is password-protected, and the language can sometimes get a little colourful, so if and when you prove your worth as a decent and caring human being, we'll give you all the info you need to configure TeamSpeak and chat with the other Platooners. Needless to say, you'll need a microphone to do this...
...lastly, you should know that while the Call of Duty series is the Platoon's official game, we acknowledge the fact that very few people play one game and one game only. The Platoon came about as an offshoot from the Fightin' Irish Squadron, who play the flight simulator IL-2 Sturmovik/Pacific Fighters on a regular basis. Many of the Platoon members are also members of the Squadron and further to this, many of them often get together in smaller unofficial groups to play games such as Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Silent Hunter III etc. We do not wish to place unnecessary economic pressure on members to keep up with an extreme list of games, therefore Call of Duty remains the game of choice, but if you do possess these games or others, chances are that you'll be able to play them with the other Platooners in an unofficial capacity.

Q: Okay, alright already, that's way too much reading. I can't see straight anymore.

A: That's not a question! Get out of here you FAQing ranker...
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:30 pm

Good idea Moog! Maybe we could use this on FIS too?

"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Excellent Sticky, Barra!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:22 pm

^:) :beer: ^:) :beer: ... :beer:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:35 pm

Well done, Moog.

We are proud of you.

:beer: :beer:

Have one on the house!

M
ImageImageImage
:FI:Dutchman
The Unforseeable

sorry for the late response

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:56 pm

Exellent Barra,

i overlooked this one

many thanks i say give it a go Go if the other mud movers are okay!!

Dutch..,

ImageImageImage
Better loose one minute in your life, than loose your life in one minute...